August 16, 2018, 01:09:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The PCX150 actually got slower??  (Read 1839 times)
strkngfang
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 42

Email
« on: August 16, 2015, 05:53:57 PM »

I was hearing rumors from different sources, as well as on line reviews, that the 2015 PCX150 was slower than the 2013 model, so I decided to post the question on my Facebook PCX fan page to see what people who owned them actually got?
The average speeds people reported was between 62-65, mostly around the 63 range, some even say they felt the limiter kick in around 63 or so?  The limiter on the 2013 model was supposedly 70, but my wife's would never get above 67, with my lightweight aboard, others have claimed 70.
Honda claims there were no changes to the 2015 model, but apparently something is different?

This actually makes the Yamaha S Max a better deal now, with it's claimed 80+ mph speeds???  Honestly, if I was shopping a 150, I would be disappointed at those speeds of the PCX. The Yamaha has only 2 more cc???

Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
previous owner of Vino125, Elite110,SH150i,Reflex, Silverwing & PCX

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300_forza/2015/strkngfang/377700]
powpilot
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2013 Honda PCX 150, 2014 Honda Forza, 2003 Honda Silver Wing, 2013 Suzuki Boulevard

Thank You
-Receive: 5

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:13:46 PM »

I remember that my 2013 PCX topped out at 67 indicated.  It really was a nice little bike, but the Forza was much more useful.  I traded the Forza in on a motorcycle because it had more value than my Silverwing, but I still go up to the dealership and look at it every now and then.  Really a fine ride!

2003 Honda Silver Wing - 2013 Suzuki Boulevard
DuggleBogey
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 6

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:08:14 PM »

Are these indicated speeds or actual speeds? Because 70 indicated is more like 63 actual, and it's a pretty big coincidence that those are the speeds people are reporting.

Q: How many scooters does one guy need? A: Just one more.

Horsefly        - Honda Silver Wing 600
Pi                - Piaggio MP3 250ie
Yellowjacket  - Big Ruckus
Dragonfly      - Tao Tao 50
bandito2
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Receive: 19

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 09:49:48 PM »

The article at this link mentions that.
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...opper-scootout

Hmm... I would have thought that the SMAX would have nearly the same fuel economy as the PCX. And I too have read
about the 63 mph top speed of the PCX 150 and find it just a bit disconcerting that Honda has no explanation as to why.
Contrary to their statement of no engine changes to the 2015 model there were changes to the engine to make it more
efficient with engine friction reduction efforts. You'd think that might boost the speed, even if only by a small noticeable
bit.

If it is indeed speed limited, then simply disconnecting the speed sensor should probably fix that. But my suspicions of
limiting speed by by limiting rpm via electronic means seems to be confirmed by what I have found.

By doing some digging, I found an aftermarket electronic gizmo that allows a higher rpm. (up to 11,000 rpm depending
on what other performance equipment is in use.) (exhaust systems) Which is apparently higher than the stock 9,800 rpm
limit.

http://japan.webike.net/products/21552398.html

Looking at the info on the KITACO i-map injection controller, I see the 9,800 rpm mentioned. This also probably requires
some tinkering using the hook up to a computer to update the original map or settings can be altered by dip switches.
Really, it seems very much like a Power Commander III injection controller like there is for the Honda Silverwing scooter.
(other makes and models of motorcycles too)

The PCX 150 doesn't have a tachometer that would show it hitting its rpm limit, and I do think that is what it has been
doing. And from most accounts, corresponds to the best speed it can apparently do at that rpm limit. So the gizmo would
let it creep up a little higher in speed and may actually let it get to about 70 mph or so.

The thing is that there is a warning of possible "valve surging". Looking up this term as it relates to engines, I find terms
like "spring surge" and "valve jump" I get an inkling of what that means; in a nutshell; it sounds like the valves are loosing
the ability to keep up with the speed of the cam. Anyway, they say back off and don't do that.

Don't know that spending a little over $95 plus shipping from Japan would be worth the approximate 7 mph gain in speed
though. (and the possibility of grenading the engine)

Southeast Michigan Dark Side Rider
4 Honda Reflex scooters & a FSC600A Silverwing
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
strkngfang
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:44:00 AM »

Are these indicated speeds or actual speeds? Because 70 indicated is more like 63 actual, and it's a pretty big coincidence that those are the speeds people are reporting.

Those are actual, the PCX speedometer is dead on accurate, per GPS.  Every Honda scoot I've owned has been nearly perfect or maybe 2 mph off at high speeds, more accurate than a lot of other brands.  The Forza has been dead on as well.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 46
-Receive: 90

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 02:31:16 PM »

Does it really make a difference if it tops out at 70, 67 or 63? It's only a 150, for goodness sake!

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
bandito2
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Receive: 19

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 04:38:14 PM »

Does it really make a difference if it tops out at 70, 67 or 63? It's only a 150, for goodness sake!

It makes a difference to those who want to be able to get on expressways and at least keep up with traffic... even if for limited distances.
strkngfang
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 09:14:48 PM »

Even if it did 70, I would never take it on the expressway, you would easily be run over, with no extra to avoid danger.  Ohio has a 250cc minimum displacement to ride most interstate highways.
chornbe
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Pick something; probably had one. Sans Moto, presently.

Thank You
-Receive: 7

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 01:12:25 PM »

Guys, it's got a purpose as built. If you want something faster, just buy something bigger. Don't go mucking around with mods and changes that simply won't have enough bang for the buck, and will introduce more complications.

strkngfang
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 08:54:45 PM »

Guys, it's got a purpose as built. If you want something faster, just buy something bigger. Don't go mucking around with mods and changes that simply won't have enough bang for the buck, and will introduce more complications.

I fully agree.  I just couldn't understand why Honda would retune it to make it slower than the previous model?  Talking to a lot of new owners, it is indeed not as fast as the 2013 model.
Scootered
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 01:40:41 AM »

I had a '13 PCX, and according to both my phone's GPS and a standalone TomTom, the max I ever topped out at was 71mph.

Now, for the fine print...

I'm right at 240lbs, and this was not only downhill, but with an actual, discernible tailwind. Best I could ever do on a level road was 62mph.

And as small as that bike was, it was quick, nimble, and an awesome ride. However, having said that, moving from it to the Kymco 400i that I now have, was like going from a go-kart to Formula 1...
ItBeMe
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Harley chopper Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 5

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 01:53:31 AM »

I had a 2013 and have a 1015 and are the same 63 tops anybody tells you they get more is a dam liar.

Just cause you look dumb, Don't mean your not.
Clampett
Administrator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 28 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 75
-Receive: 60

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 02:54:16 AM »

I had a 2013 and have a 1015 and are the same 63 tops anybody tells you they get more is a dam liar.
A thousand year old PCX? 

He said it was downhill with a 240# load..... and less than your top end when flat.....I believe it.
Many variables can make one off situations which are very extreme in either direction

Scootered
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 05:13:17 AM »

A thousand year old PCX? 

He said it was downhill with a 240# load..... and less than your top end when flat.....I believe it.
Many variables can make one off situations which are very extreme in either direction

I guess it makes me a water-blocking liar then...

I didn't think Honda made scooters in the 11th century either. Learn something new every day. 
klaviator
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Receive: 40

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 05:19:26 PM »

Even if it did 70, I would never take it on the expressway, you would easily be run over, with no extra to avoid danger.  Ohio has a 250cc minimum displacement to ride most interstate highways.

Do you have a reference for that 250cc minimum on Ohio Interstates?  I would be real surprised if any state had a 250cc minimum.  If so I was illegal all those times I rode my Sport City 250 on the interstate in Ohio as it was only 234cc.  A Ninja 250, capable of 90-100 mph is also under 250cc.  Many states has a 150cc minimum which is why many scooters are now 155cc.  

BTW, I have ridden my Smax on the interstate many times.  It's 155cc and will do 70 or slightly higher.  I have even ridden my Kymco Super 8 150 for short distances on the Interstate but with a top speed of around 60 it's pretty marginal for that.

The PCX was 153cc which made it interstate legal but the 2019 will be 149cc. 

I ride, therefore I am
klaviator
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Receive: 40

Email
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 08:56:15 PM »

I talked to the owner of Cleveland Moto today.  He said that the requirement for interstate highways in Ohio is still 5 BHP.  There is no minimum displacement.  However, he did say that many people are taking their cheap Chinese scooters on the Highway and many of them top out at 50 or so.  He said many of those have been getting tickets for impeding traffic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: