June 06, 2020, 10:08:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do motorcyclists and cyclists around the world greet each other?  (Read 9095 times)
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 145
-Receive: 77

« on: July 23, 2015, 01:04:47 PM »

Just stumbled upon this little bit of interesting reading:

http://ask.metafilter.com/213383/How-do-motorcyclists-and-cyclists-around-the-world-greet-each-other

and if in France "waggle" a foot !!   

Mike
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 364
-Receive: 868

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 01:55:21 PM »

Sometimes I'm the low wave, sometimes I'm fingers off the bar, sometimes even just a nod.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
scootermann
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex, Yamaha Majesty YP400, Vespa GTV 300ie

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 22

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:24:17 PM »

On the scooter, I either do the two fingers down or nod, depending upon what I am doing at the time. On the bicycle, just a nod and lift a finger or two. When on the bicycle and waving to a motorcycle/scooter, it's two fingers down, as if to say, "I got one of those." I have found that the bicycle guys that think they are "serious riders" (i.e., have paid more than about $1,500 for their bikes) are far less likely to wave than a motorcyclist.

The "foot waggle" thing is more of a "thanks" than a "hello." The French are fairly aggressive MC/scooter drivers (less so than the Italians or Spanish) and it is common to sort of squeeze to the outside of a lane and let them pass. When you do, they are generally busy maneurvering and sort of wave a "thanks" by pivoting their foot out.
scooterwolf
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco Yager GT 200i, Kymco Downtown 300i

Thank You
-Given: 19
-Receive: 27

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »

I like the universal two finger salute. A head nod if your hands are busy. Scooterist are able to do it more freely than motorcyclist because they may need their hands on the clutch.

-Wolf

chornbe
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Pick something; probably had one. Sans Moto, presently.

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 7

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »

I'm gonna start a movement where only Toyota Corolla drivers have a secret wave.

DuggleBogey
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 6

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »

My car is a Mini Cooper and I get waves from other Mini drivers.

Q: How many scooters does one guy need? A: Just one more.

Horsefly        - Honda Silver Wing 600
Pi                - Piaggio MP3 250ie
Yellowjacket  - Big Ruckus
Dragonfly      - Tao Tao 50
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 28
-Receive: 166

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 07:48:46 PM »

I like waving to little kids on bicycles, they always wave back. Same with kids in back seats who look bored. Breaks the monotony of commuting. It never hurts to be friendly.
rut3556
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 55 to date

Thank You
-Receive: 2

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:18:44 PM »

>>Sometimes I'm the low wave<<

That's reserved for the "Bros" on Harleys. :-)
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda 70 Passport, Yamaha 185 Exciter, Yamaha 250 Exciter, Kawasaki 550LTD, Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, Yamaha Virago 1100

Thank You
-Given: 31
-Receive: 11

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 01:12:16 AM »

Most don't

Bitch please
BuiltnotBought
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 01:59:03 PM »

As a maxi scooter rider, you dont really get waves. They are too busy looking at you weird trying to figure out what the heck your ridin. But I whole heartedly love the idea of a universal wave. It never hurts to be nice.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 154
-Receive: 193

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 04:37:02 PM »

Too many of us around here to even start thinking about it.

__
Don
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 44

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 09:39:50 PM »

As a maxi scooter rider, you dont really get waves. They are too busy looking at you weird trying to figure out what the heck your ridin. But I whole heartedly love the idea of a universal wave. It never hurts to be nice.

I get waves all the time on the Tmax...looks like a touring bike from the front?

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, HH sintered pads, Pilot Road 4 tires, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, Euro winkers, shortened OEM mirrors, custom tail tidy, MIVV exhaust, River Road luggage system, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 120

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 02:51:51 PM »

Surprisingly, I get the low wave returned from even Patched riders! Not too often am I ignored or not seen. I have, on occasion, had to give the "one finger waggle" to a driver in a car, however, but it's never returned.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
 ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶650
 ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶4̶0̶0̶ ̶X̶2̶
Honda Silverwing
Morphous 250
Cube
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2014 Forza 300, 2007 Silver Wing, 2018 PCX150, 2000 BMW R1100R

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 10

Email
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 06:09:47 PM »

The wife and I usually see (and do) the low wave/2 fingers around here.  We try to go first and get a return wave before they realize they're waving to scooters.  
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 364
-Receive: 868

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 03:59:40 PM »

I get lots of waves if not it is what it is...  I waved at a guy once in the middle of nowhere, he started to waved then didn't. Next thing I know he was tracking me down about two miles from where we had passed.  I pulled over and he said, I wanted to see if that was really a scooter.  LOL.
He was riding a new Harley.  He asked if he could try my scooter.  I looked at his bike and though well, I will have a brand new Harley if he doesn't come back.  I said sure, leave your keys in your bike. 

As he drove off I though well if he doesn't come back I will leave to shift on a brand new Harley ;) He was the second stranger I let ride my one of my scooters.

I don't get bunched up about non-scooter love.  I do think in the past 10 years the barriers are certainly down in most bike loving communities.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 05:42:03 AM »

I don't get bunched up about non-scooter love.  I do think in the past 10 years the barriers are certainly down in most bike loving communities.

Well, when you've got the same or better wheel base, can get speeding tickets in all 50 states & Canada, and still store you helmet under the seat it's pretty easy to see why.

Oh, yea, forgot to mention.... They don't cost $20,000.
smokemup
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Cant remember x 65ea

Thank You

Any ride is a good ride!

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »

From Australia, in and around the outskirts of town a nod will usually suffice as acknowledgement of an equal being. In the country areas the same nod, 1 or 2 fingers lifted from the bar is usually the go when riding on bitumen. When passing on dirt the nod is the greeting of choice of the experienced.

However we don't acknowledge Harley riders in any way shape or form nor will they us unless we are on another Harley. Rules is Rules!

This is Ben, he has only started riding dirt and took his hand off the bars to wave to/at a camel. Result was a 7hr wait for medical help, 8hr ride in 4x4 recovery vehicle, 2 flights in a Royal Flying Doctor aircraft to get him to a Perth hospital (25hrs total wait and travel time), 2 fractured vertebra in his back (he was lucky). His bike (XR400) is still in the desert, if you want to go and get it just Google Gunbarrel Highway Warburton West Australia, the bikes appx 270km north of that in the Gibson Desert.

In the interests of privacy Ben's face and clothing have been camouflaged with dirt!
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 03:29:29 PM »

Note to Smokemup...

You keep worrying about using "tyre" instead of the proper "tire" then throw "bitumen" out there with absolutely no explanation or apology. 
smokemup
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Any ride is a good ride!

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 12:36:56 AM »

Note to Smokemup...

You keep worrying about using "tyre" instead of the proper "tire" then throw "bitumen" out there with absolutely no explanation or apology.  
Hi Expat47, secretly I was hoping someone would pull me up hence my Intro post of a Southern rider on a Northern forum - why?.
I'll try to throw a motorcyclist wave statement to legitimise my response.
Australia was colonised by the British some 30 000 years after our First Nation People arrived and the Brits quickly set about putting Rule/Law and language into this place so we follow the English when it comes to speech and spelling hence the lack of a 'z' in colonise and legitimise. The spelling of Tyres with a Y in tyre is also from the Brits as the original patent holder of pneumatic round black things was Robert William Thomson of Scottish origins. The use of the word bitumen is also a fascinating word (to some), essentially its only the black liquid that binds the stones when it sets forming the road surface, the correct term being asphalt. In some areas of Australia it gets hot, bloody hot, so hot that the asphalt melts, the stones (aggregate/blue stone/granite - insert your own word) sink into the tar(?) and all your left with is the bitumen which is very smooth and very slippery when wet or hot.
As an Ozzy I speak in the English dialect but Google in the American vernacular - which leads me back to....
In Oz a raised index finger circling appx helmet high is used to acknowledge another (non Harley) rider and to warn of speed cameras, not that we speed in Australia - that would be illegal.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 05:24:44 AM »

Having lived in Greece since 1972 and having mingled with many a Brit, Ozzy, and Kiwi I consider myself trilingual (palaver a bit in Greek too). That is to say "going 'round to knock some sheela up" isn't a faux pas in mixed company.

As for the plight of the First Nation People the US didn't do any better with our Native Americans and both episodes are a black mark on history.
smokemup
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Any ride is a good ride!

Email
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 02:15:47 PM »

Having lived in Greece since 1972 and having mingled with many a Brit, Ozzy, and Kiwi I consider myself trilingual (palaver a bit in Greek too). That is to say "going 'round to knock some sheela up" isn't a faux pas in mixed company.

As for the plight of the First Nation People the US didn't do any better with our Native Americans and both episodes are a black mark on history.

Absolutely agree. One present day disappointment that I have in this time of enlightenment is the loss of the local stories/myths/dialect and history that has been lost forever is only being rued now. Our schools have introduced at morning assembly an 'Acknowledgement of Country' to pay respect to the traditional owners of the land, its not much but it is a start. Our Aboriginal people were not given the rite to vote until 1967 and only recently added to our constitution but only in the Preface as 'Custodians'. If these same people (the Brits) arrived at our shores as they did today (instead of 1778) i'm sure they would be called Terrorists or an Invasion force. At least the US forefathers could see the future under British rule and did something about it- but we have what we have and need to get on with it, strange spelling and all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: