December 15, 2018, 01:55:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TU250X 3,000 Lumen LED Headlight  (Read 13110 times)
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 177

Email
« on: July 23, 2015, 04:42:49 AM »

On another forum for the Yamaha FZ-09, I posted a photographic how-to thread for installing an LED headlight bulb modification. The Suzuki TU250X uses the same (H4) headlight bulb, and the Tux appeared to have even more room than the FZ-09 for the modification. After removing the LED bulb from the Yamaha and installing in the Suzuki, I asked Alison (Ratchet) to ride the Suzuki for a few minutes just before 10:00 PM recently. She promptly informed me the LED headlight bulb stays in the Suzuki. No way is it coming out.

Fortunately, the LED headlight bulb modification is oh-so-close to being "plug & play" work. The exception is trivial, in my estimation. However, the work provides a 3,000 lumen (low beam), 40 watt solution that really lights up the road. The stock H4 bulb is approximately 1,500 lumens and 55 watts, so the LED modification provides dramatically more illumination for less power.

Subsequent posts will include more information and a photographic 'how-to' based on the TU250X. Alison and I enjoyed the thought of a Suzuki TU250X becoming just as powerful as a Yamaha FZ-09, at least in their headlights! She is riding a lot after dark this summer, often closing at her summer job, so the mod was important and fun (a challenging sort of fun) at the same time.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 02:17:57 PM »

The LED headlight bulb used in the OP comes from Tripage LED...
https://www.tripageled.com/store/
...in Clermont, Florida.

The direct link for the Yamaha FZ-09 LED headlight bulb that works equally well in the Suzuki TU250X, and probably many other applications, is here...
http://tripageled.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=193
...and you might note LED high beam and low beam images, similar to those on the OP, on that product page.

Since Ratchet took ownership of my first Tripage LED headlight bulb, I promptly purchased another for the Yamaha!  :D

Next up... the photos...
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:18:41 PM »

To keep the photo 'how-to' posts somewhat organized, I will use six photos per post. There are 18 photos, so-o-o-o expect this to take three posts total. Here goes!

Step 1.

Step 2.

Step 3.

Step 4. My daughter is removing the headlight while I am taking the photo! She is awesome!

Step 5.

When removing the power connector from the headlight bulb, note there is no clip or anything joining them. The connector is held on by friction; pull the connector straight back from the headlight bulb. You might need to wiggle the connector a bit to get it moving and to slide it off the bulb's terminals, but don't rotate or twist the connector.

Step 6.

End of the first photographic 'how-to' post. More to come!
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 02:20:30 PM »

This seems to be working nicely, so I'll move on the next six photos...

Step 7.

Step 8. This is a repeat of step 7, but I wanted to include a close-up to capture the detail.

Step 9.

Step 10.

Step 11.

Step 12.

End of the second photographic 'how-to' post. One more to go!
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 02:21:28 PM »

And onward to the next steps...

Step 13. A minor deviation from 'plug & play' and it only takes a minute or two to accomplish.

Step 14. My daughter appears in this photo as well.

Step 15.

Step 16.

Step 17.

Step 18.

End of the third and final photographic 'how-to' post!

This LED headlight bulb modification is effective, economical, and the required steps are not much different than replacing a burned out headlight bulb.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 02:27:06 PM »

Next step: This project has provided positive results after moving the LED headlight bulb into my TU250X. A duplicate LED headlight bulb is already ordered, received and installed in my FZ-09.

The lighting difference is dramatic considering the modest $50 expense and, in my opinion, a huge improvement for night time riding and general safety. However, the Tux needs something else to complete the front lighting... running lights, a nod to more recent motorcycle design while keeping the general stock appearance. Though setting up a 'triangle' of lights might have been preferable, using the existing mounts has its advantages as well.

Parts are on order, not yet received. This may or may not be the next project, but should be one of the next projects. There are a few projects in the planning/ordering phase (not all related to scooters and motorcycles!). The next project will most likely be the one Alison requests, since she frequently rides home at night from work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: