October 24, 2020, 02:42:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packing the Harley  (Read 3334 times)
ChrisandKristin
« on: June 30, 2015, 04:22:52 PM »

when we go somewhere mrs. bagga usually will pack like we're taking the car. she has learned to pack lighter but sometimes she'll still have stuff packed that really isn't necessary.

We got 34 years experience with long distance two-up touring, so my wife knows what to pack.  But we do take our camping gear because we stay in (usually, if we can find them) KOA campgrounds at night instead of motels.  So that means packing tent, air mattress, two light sleeping bags, and our own towels for showers.  But all that stuff is pretty compact and the tent is in a weather-proof bag and fits nicely on the luggage rack on the Tour-Pak.

Otherwise she packs one change of clothes, pair of tennis shoes for each of us, and basic toiletry necessities.  The liners out of our riding jackets are rolled up tight and packed with the tennis shoes on the top shelf in the right saddlebag because we change to the tennis shoes when we stop for the day.  And the liners go in and out of our jackets, depending on the weather.  We both wear leather pants when riding that are treated to repel water, and our jackets are 100% waterproof, so we don't need separate rain gear.  If we get wet we change to our dry clothes when we stop for the day and let our leathers dry out and re-oil them.

We've had our Harley-Davidson riding jackets and leather pants for probably 15 years now.  Aerostich up in Duluth is pretty popular with a lot of touring riders.  But we've always been happy with the H-D gear because they're leather instead of synthetic material and we've found that leather has several advantages for comfort in all-weather riding and being able to "breathe" - and in longevity if you take care of them.  We tried the Aerostich gear many years ago when it became popular with LD riders but never liked it because it felt too bulky.  Our leathers fit like custom racing leathers, and that's what we like.  But they cost twice as much as the Aerostich gear when we bought them.

When the big rain hits and you see other riders stopping under overpasses and whatnot to put on rain gear and change from do-rags to helmets, we're the folks that ride right by and wave at 'em because we don't need to change gear.

From my standpoint, I don't pack the cover for the bike because it's too bulky.  If it rains the bike usually needs washed anyway after several days on the road.  Otherwise I got our emergency belt kit, tire plug and patch kit and spoon kit to dismount a tire, a small screw type scissor jack, 12V blower for inflating our air mattress, 12v air compressor, and basic tool kit sufficient to remove either the front or rear wheel.  I've never had a flat yet that I couldn't plug and air back up on the road to get someplace where I could pull the wheel and dismount and patch it from the inside later.  One of the beauties of tubeless tires.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: