November 26, 2020, 12:24:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H-D Owners  (Read 7017 times)
JeffR
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 10

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2015, 07:20:02 PM »

I had the 883 back in the late 80's and enjoyed it.  I think it was the last year of the 4 speed and chain drive but had the Evolution engine.  I never had any problem with it and I rode it kind of hard.  The frame of the 883 was just to small for me and after I took it on a long ride for 5 days I just knew I couldn't keep it, since it was just too uncomfortable for the interstate.  But the 883 just isn't an interstate bike IMO.  I know many people don't like Harleys for some reason but I think they are a good company.  I'm glad it came back as an American company as well.  I was at the Springfield (Illinois) Mile with a friend and I noticed that many people were asking the guy behind me to sign their program.  I finally looked around and noticed it was Willie G. Davidson.  So I asked him if he ever got tired of signing autographs and he said "never".  We talked for about 20 mins (while watching the races) and he was a very nice person and never refused to sign an autograph, and he always did it with a smile.  

Ride safe,

JeffR

2014 Honda CTX700 DCT
2007 Silver Wing 32,000 miles (sold)
2005 Majesty 12,500 sold
2004 Reflex 3,500 miles sold
www.silverwing600.com
ChrisandKristin
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2015, 12:44:57 AM »

I had the 883 back in the late 80's and enjoyed it.  I think it was the last year of the 4 speed and chain drive but had the Evolution engine.

In the early 80's my wife had a '79 pearl white XLCH Iron Head with drag pipes, 12:1 pistons and S&S cams in it.  That bike was so wild it was almost not streetable.  But talk about fun to ride (if you could get it started)!  I always used to tease her and tell her it was the perfect bike for her because it was sort of fun watching a long-legged blonde kick start a Iron Head with 12:1 pistons in it.

Once you got it running, even after it warmed up, you had to keep blipping the throttle or it would quit because the cams were so wild.  But once underway if you opened up the throttle and let that Iron Head breathe, when it hit 4,500 rpm it was about like an afterburner kicked in.  Shift at 6200 so it dropped back to 4500 on the next gear and I don't recall that we ever met anybody that had a bike (or a car) that could take it in the quarter mile.

The only reason we sold that bike is because my wife got pregnant somehow  
bagga
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 8

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2015, 03:10:11 AM »

i'm kind of looking, not very serious for an evo sportster. i had a surgery on my right wrist about 10 weeks ago and it is very slow in coming around. i'm kind of looking for something lighter to ride but i have the morphous which will work well for the kind of local riding i do. we'll see what happens.

1985 flhtc HD
1976 fxe HD
2008 honda ruckus
2003 honda ruckus-"bagga"
2003 honda "rat rod" ruckus
2007 yamaha morphous.
ChrisandKristin
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2015, 04:06:48 AM »

I see you have a '76 FXE.  That reminds me a friend (that we haven't seen for years now) from that same era when my wife had the Sporty.  He had a '76 FXE with a springer front on it.  The engine was built and it was putting out well over 100hp.  He had an open belt primary on it with a Barnett clutch and it was pretty tricked out.  We used to call him "Conan the Barbarian" because his last name was Kohnen.

If we rode anywhere with him had to allow an extra half hour to get the Super Glide started.  At least two priming runs with the ignition off, then a "hot run" with the ignition on.  Repeat that about 10 times and he'd finally get that Shovelhead to make a noise of some sort - either a false start or a backfire.  When that happened, that was our signal that we were getting close to leaving because Curt was close to getting his bike started.

When we finally got the show on the road looking over at Curt while riding alongside was pretty comical.  He always wore goggles and had his legs stretched right out to the highway pegs and had this huge grin on his face that never went away all the while he was riding, with his girlfriend on a Fender Fluff pad on the back with her hair streaming out 2 feet behind.

The four of us rode to Sturgis in 1981 - me on my CB750, my wife on her Sporty, and Curt and Lisa on the Super Glide.  My wife and I had gotten married a year earlier, I don't think Curt and Lisa ever did get married and they eventually moved away and never seen 'em again.  Those were the days, man. 
bagga
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2015, 01:00:20 PM »

my shovel is a "rat'", i it does pretty good in the local bike shows. it has a belt primary and it's a fairly easy starter but it's bone stock with a 7-1 comp ratio. i don't ride it much because the ride isn't very good, but it sure is fun to ride.
Burgi
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Triumph Bonneville, SYM HD200, BMW R1200RT & K1600 GTL

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 14

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 08:42:34 PM »

Something that grabbed my heart and won't let go because I got the only authentic real American Iron under me and I like that.  And that's why they sell.
Not picking on you C&K just using this example....
This is what I often don't understand about Harley Pride. When my Harley friends start to talk about how important it is that they ride a true American bike I ask them what they drive. Inevitability it is not an American car.  In fact many are rabidly against owning one of the "US" brand cars.
Yes, I know cars are built all over the world.
Mine is a Dodge, built in Newark. I don't feel the need to wave a flag about it or sneer at brands without a US pedigree or build location.
strkngfang
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Receive: 42

Email
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »

The whole U.S. brand thing I always find amusing, at how clueless people are?  Honda Accord & Civic built in Ohio, Ford Fusion built in Mexico, Chevy Aveo built in Japan etc.  Just look inside your drivers side door for the proof of where it was made.  I'm assuming motorcycles all have one as well.  I know our PCXs say built in Thailand, which they were.
You can't just slap an American badge on it and it's a U.S.A. product.  I know Harley is built in Wisconsin, so I'm not claiming it's not.  I got so much crap from GM people, when I had my Illinois made Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
previous owner of Vino125, Elite110,SH150i,Reflex, Silverwing & PCX

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300_forza/2015/strkngfang/377700]
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 375
-Receive: 893

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2015, 10:07:22 PM »

I just have never found a HD that appealed to me enough to buy one., same with BMW, Genuine, etc etc.

At the end of the day that's what boils down to me.

We have two Harley riders in our club, one I've never said a word to about his bike.  The other one I did when he went and put obnoxious pipes on it.  I simply said you ride in the back

I once had a HD rider chastise a bunch of us for riding bikes.  Long story short on the back of his bike was an Asian lady that could not speak English.   Cracked me up.

I once walked into a HD dealer to buy some gloves. The counter girl said to me you all came on those cool scooters, I would love one.  Before I could thank her the parts manager said you would have to park it down the street it would never be allowed here.   I turned and walked away, the girl said you forgot to get your gloves. I turned back and said shove them up his ass....

But I have stories like that with Suzuki dealers as well.  Point is you aren't going to trash my shit and take my money.   And most riders aren't going to say jack shit to me either with out an earful or fist full.   Of course I would be the same way if I owned a HD bike.

I do think HD has some of the best looking cruiser bikes out there but they just never appealed to my style of riding.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
ChrisandKristin
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »

This is what I often don't understand about Harley Pride. When my Harley friends start to talk about how important it is that they ride a true American bike I ask them what they drive

Actually, not all pieces of new Harley's are made in USA either.  Some things on them are outsourced from overseas.  But the company remains American owned, managed and operated and has a pretty rich heritage and history.  Having a piece of that is kind of fun.

What is clear is that most H-D owners love their bikes.  They seem to develop a loyalty to the brand that no other manufacturer has managed to get.  I suppose these things could be described as the "character" of the bike and this "harley pride" that you mention, I don't know.  Being a H-D owner myself, we don't look at it as Harley Pride - we just really like our bike because it is the most comfortable, refined and satisfying two-up touring machine we have ever ridden.  Remember, we came from thousands and thousands of miles on GL's.  We have owned every model Honda ever built.  If I have to compare them, the Harley is a better designed touring machine.  It is lighter, better handling, better ergonomics, better fuel mileage, and despite what you may have heard that Big Twin is just silk smooth out on the open road ticking over at 2,200 rpm.

I don't know if all that is "harley pride" or not.  We just like our bike.
Burgi
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Triumph Bonneville, SYM HD200, BMW R1200RT & K1600 GTL

Thank You
-Receive: 14

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »

I once walked into a HD dealer to buy some gloves. The counter girl said to me you all came on those cool scooters, I would love one.  Before I could thank her the parts manager said you would have to park it down the street it would never be allowed here.   I turned and walked away, the girl said you forgot to get your gloves. I turned back and said shove them up his ass....
Wow, there's an example of how not to run a business. 
I bought gloves from my local Harley dealer. When I rode up on my scoot the sales guy ran out to speak to me before I even got my helmet off. Seems they had taken a Vespa in trade and I guess he figured I'd be a good candidate to take it home.

It is usually strangers in parking lots that seem to like to approach me and tell me I should get a Harley. Not one has ever been on a bike, all in cars. I just smile and reply "you should get a bike you'd ride instead of taking your car."

I don't like riding cruisers so not surprising that I've never been fond of the Harley's I've ridden. I respect the heck out of their marketing though, they are genius's at selling their brand!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 10:58:07 PM »

Oh for the record I love their boots!!
bagga
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2015, 11:31:18 PM »

speaking of boots, here's my redwing boot collection. the loafers are even RW.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2015, 11:35:54 PM »

speaking of boots, here's my redwing boot collection. the loafers are even RW.

Lol I thought I was "bad"
bagga
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2015, 11:50:17 PM »

i just got another pair that isn't in the pic. the new pair are made in redwing, minn but are only sold in europe and japan. the trick is to send the shoe pic to the sales people at the redwing outlet store in redwing, they'll bend over backwards to get you the shoes you want.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qSXkDf24CA  redwing chelsea model 2918.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2015, 01:00:29 AM »

Are they still made in the US?
bagga
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2015, 02:34:49 AM »

some are and some aren't made in the USA. 6 out of 8 in the pic are made in the USA and the new pair is also.  middle row, middle pair and the loafers are from china. the china boots in the middle are exclusively used in the winter/snow months. they have heavy grips and are insulated. my job requires me to be in the winter elements quite a bit. i'll say they're the best winter boots i have ever owned. i think they're about 8 years old and have been resoled once. there's about $1700 worth of boots in the pic, adding the new pair in it's over $2k total.
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2011 Burgman 650,2012 Silverwing, Burgman 650, Burgman 400x2, Vulcan 750x4, Goldwing 1200'sx2, Honda Nighthawkx2, Honda Helix

Thank You
-Receive: 48

Back in Babies' Arms

Email
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2015, 04:32:31 AM »

Sooooo, when is HD gonna take some of that cooperate welfare money ... design, build and sell a scooter? Becuz us scooters riders are getting damn tired of having to settle for inferior jap junk!

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
ChrisandKristin
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2015, 04:46:07 AM »

Sooooo, when is HD gonna take some of that cooperate welfare money ... design, build and sell a scooter? Becuz us scooters riders are getting damn tired of having to settle for inferior jap junk!

Well, they just did start selling a couple scooters - well, kind of like scooters in the Harley world anyway.  And they're cheaper than most of the maxi-scooters......
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/street-500.html
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2011 Burgman 650,2012 Silverwing, Burgman 650, Burgman 400x2, Vulcan 750x4, Goldwing 1200'sx2, Honda Nighthawkx2, Honda Helix

Thank You
-Receive: 48

Back in Babies' Arms

Email
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2015, 05:57:54 AM »

Well, they just did start selling a couple scooters - well, kind of like scooters in the Harley world anyway.  And they're cheaper than most of the maxi-scooters......
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/street-500.html

shirley you jest?

Sirkitrider
strkngfang
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »

The Genuine Scooter is the most misleading.  It is advertised as "America's favorite scooter company", but all of their models are made in Taiwan & India and shipped to the Chicago warehouse and then sent to dealers from there.  If I'm not mistaken, they are all just rebadged PGO/LML scooters with the Genuine name.  Nothing to do with Harley, so I apologize for the thread jack.
ChrisandKristin
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »

shirley you jest?

Yeah, I was just kind of kidding.  But I think maxi-scooters haven't sold all that well in the US.  So even Honda has gone to mid-sized motorcycle-style bikes instead of the maxi's and the Forza is their big scooter now.  Harley-Davidson did build a scooter back in the day - the Topper.  It was the only one they ever built and that was back in the 60's.  It had a 10 cubic inch two-stroke in it and it would do almost 50 mph.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 144
-Receive: 205

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2015, 04:46:50 PM »

Harley-Davidson did build a scooter back in the day - the Topper.  It was the only one they ever built and that was back in the 60's.  It had a 10 cubic inch two-stroke in it and it would do almost 50 mph.

A Topper appeared at the Timonium Motorcycle Show a couple years ago...

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
bagga
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2015, 08:25:35 PM »

here's a topper at a motorcycle show in oshkosh, wi. the root beer shovelhead behind it belongs to my friend.
strkngfang
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2015, 09:26:17 PM »

Now we know where Yamaha got their "C3"scooter design from, very similar looking.
bagga
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »

chris, what do you have for rear shocks?
ChrisandKristin
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2015, 04:37:35 PM »

chris, what do you have for rear shocks?

Our bike has the standard OEM air shocks, both front and rear.  The air fitting for the rear shocks is on the left side cover.  For the front the air fitting is built into the crash bar.  For two up we run 9 lbs of air in the rear and 7 lbs in the front.  For solo riding I let all the air out of the rear and run the font at 5 psi.

Can't get my bike in to dyno run it at the dealer until after lunch today.  They were pretty busy this morning and the dyno is tied up until noon.  Kind of put a kink in our day here but we're going up to the dealer in about an hour and just hang out with the hordes of riders that show up there every Saturday and look at bikes.
bagga
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »

i have the OE shocks too, i need to check the air pressure on mine. i wish there was a small air tank for the rear shocks. it's hard to adjust the pressure on them.
ChrisandKristin
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2015, 03:26:59 AM »

i have the OE shocks too, i need to check the air pressure on mine. i wish there was a small air tank for the rear shocks. it's hard to adjust the pressure on them.

We got a little hand pump that came with our bike to pump up the air shocks.  It is Harley part # 54630-03A

We also got a tool that came with our bike to check belt tension.  It is Harley part # 40006-85
bagga
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2015, 05:49:34 PM »

chris, how does your seat attach? is it to the fender or is it attached by the passenger hand rail bracket?
ChrisandKristin
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2015, 06:06:29 PM »

Our bike has an aftermarket Drag Specialties leather saddle and passenger backrest.  It mounts on the front clip on the rear of the gas tank and then there's two brackets on the fender where the passenger handrails mount.  There is a 5/16" bolt on each side in the rear on the underside of the saddle where it is secured to those brackets.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: