November 26, 2020, 01:04:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H-D Owners  (Read 7037 times)
ChrisandKristin
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 04:06:48 AM »

I see you have a '76 FXE.  That reminds me a friend (that we haven't seen for years now) from that same era when my wife had the Sporty.  He had a '76 FXE with a springer front on it.  The engine was built and it was putting out well over 100hp.  He had an open belt primary on it with a Barnett clutch and it was pretty tricked out.  We used to call him "Conan the Barbarian" because his last name was Kohnen.

If we rode anywhere with him had to allow an extra half hour to get the Super Glide started.  At least two priming runs with the ignition off, then a "hot run" with the ignition on.  Repeat that about 10 times and he'd finally get that Shovelhead to make a noise of some sort - either a false start or a backfire.  When that happened, that was our signal that we were getting close to leaving because Curt was close to getting his bike started.

When we finally got the show on the road looking over at Curt while riding alongside was pretty comical.  He always wore goggles and had his legs stretched right out to the highway pegs and had this huge grin on his face that never went away all the while he was riding, with his girlfriend on a Fender Fluff pad on the back with her hair streaming out 2 feet behind.

The four of us rode to Sturgis in 1981 - me on my CB750, my wife on her Sporty, and Curt and Lisa on the Super Glide.  My wife and I had gotten married a year earlier, I don't think Curt and Lisa ever did get married and they eventually moved away and never seen 'em again.  Those were the days, man. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: