November 27, 2020, 04:57:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H-D Owners  (Read 7045 times)
ChrisandKristin
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 12:44:57 AM »

I had the 883 back in the late 80's and enjoyed it.  I think it was the last year of the 4 speed and chain drive but had the Evolution engine.

In the early 80's my wife had a '79 pearl white XLCH Iron Head with drag pipes, 12:1 pistons and S&S cams in it.  That bike was so wild it was almost not streetable.  But talk about fun to ride (if you could get it started)!  I always used to tease her and tell her it was the perfect bike for her because it was sort of fun watching a long-legged blonde kick start a Iron Head with 12:1 pistons in it.

Once you got it running, even after it warmed up, you had to keep blipping the throttle or it would quit because the cams were so wild.  But once underway if you opened up the throttle and let that Iron Head breathe, when it hit 4,500 rpm it was about like an afterburner kicked in.  Shift at 6200 so it dropped back to 4500 on the next gear and I don't recall that we ever met anybody that had a bike (or a car) that could take it in the quarter mile.

The only reason we sold that bike is because my wife got pregnant somehow  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: