October 17, 2019, 09:34:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blackburg Down  (Read 7430 times)
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Tow-Pac (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 42

« on: April 30, 2015, 01:35:00 AM »

Blackburg Down - If you ride a motorcycle, they say it's not if, but when you'll go down. My turn was today when a lady pulled out in front of me. Short summary - tibial plateau fracture (top of tibia, just below knee), a few minor abrasions, and sore everywhere (chest so sore I can't take more than a few steps with the walker before stopping to "recover"). Had on full gear (ATGATT !) - full face helmet (few scratches on face shield), padded textile jacket, kevlar jeans (few abrasion, none beyond the kevlar), and heavy boots. Leg is in immobilizer, see surgeon Friday morning. Just another day in the neighborhood.

http://youtu.be/n7mBWk035e4

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 171

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:45:15 AM »

Sorry to here about your crash.  I don't envy your recovery from the tibial plateau fracture.  That is the same injury that happened to me two years ago so I know how painful it is and how long it takes to heal. 

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 145,705 miles
06 Burgman 400, 50,473 miles
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 121
-Receive: 73

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 02:36:51 AM »

Very sorry for your news.  You will just have to let people help you back to health .... hope that comes quickly and your riding will pick up sooner than expected.

Sounds like a lot of damage for the fall.  It didn't look that bad ...but I sure wasn't there.  Your video shows just how easily and suddenly we can go down.

Heal quickly,
Mike
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 351
-Receive: 827

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 02:41:09 AM »

Sorry, Steve.  Thanks for the text messages.   As I told you heal well.   Glad you had the video, will go a long way.   Also glad you wear your gear all the time.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 128
-Receive: 187

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 03:05:00 AM »

Tough to watch, but great that you're able to post. Best wishes on your recovery.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
Duster
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Burgman 400

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 26

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 03:29:49 AM »

Hmmmmm.....
your YouTube won't play on my Firefox.....

Cardiologist Dr. Magic-fingers has given me
a second chance.
N5MVL Amateur Extra Ham Radio Operator
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 107

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 04:40:56 AM »

Best wishes for a quick and full recovery.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2011 Burgman 650,2012 Silverwing, Burgman 650, Burgman 400x2, Vulcan 750x4, Goldwing 1200'sx2, Honda Nighthawkx2, Honda Helix

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 46

Back in Babies' Arms

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 05:30:45 AM »

:-(

Sorry to hear Zurg .... But glad you are hear to tell us about it. Heal quickly!

I had my encounter of a too close kind, (Hyundai Sonata),  in 2007.  Busted up shoulder.

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
ozark
RCR
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Team Yamaha and Team Honda with a WUSSI thrown in for cheap fun!

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »

You and Maggie in some kind of competition?   Just stop it!

Sorry to hear this about the both of you.
DanB
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2005 Kymco Bet and Win

Thank You
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »

Sorry to hear of this too. Life has a way of throwing us a curve ball. Hope you have a good recovery and get back into the saddle soon.
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2012 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tour, 2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 aka LS650, 2009 Piaggio BV250 (stolen by some worthless POS), Vespa S150 (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 9

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 02:44:05 PM »

Steve, sorry to hear all this news. First Maggie and now you. Let's all be safe out there. Steve's video shows something I already know from riding quite a bit this spring, drivers are totally oblivious to our presence. I've already had two near misses on my new bike the one yesterday was the worst as a driver of a minivan decided to make a right turn from the left turn lane. I ended up lane splitting between him and an SUV since I was already at his door when he made the move.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2005 Burgman 400; 2003 VTX 1300

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 203

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 11:16:57 PM »

Steve, sorry about the 'off' and hope you health quickly.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 11:32:24 PM »

Steve, how did it go with the surgeon.  Are you going to be lucky like me and not need surgery or will they have to use plates or screws to hold it together. 

My brother also got a tibial plateau fracture when he low sided my 400.  In his case they had to do surgery and put both a plate and screws in to hold the bone together.  His plateau was shattered into a bunch of small pieces.  Mine was broken into 3 larger pieces and they were holding themselves in place so they just put me in a knee brace and had me keep my weight off it until the bones grew back together. 
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 65
-Receive: 254

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 03:49:34 AM »

Sorry to hear about your getoff.  While your injury is serious enough, it sure could have been worse.  Just make sure you follow the doc's orders. 

In looking at your video, it's hard to judge distances.  How close were you to the SUV when she pulled out in front of you?  And can you provide any details regarding how the bike went down, i.e., lowsided, front end washed out or rear wheel lost traction?

Greg
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 64

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 05:08:54 AM »

If you were considering a knee replacement, this might be the time to do it.
That's a bad place to break your leg and might cause you permanent pain.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 06:01:12 AM »

Sorry to hear about your get-off and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!!  I watched your film several times and I'm puzzled.  It's hard to have prospective of what's happening watching it on film, but it appears like you slid out trying to emergency stop.  It makes me wonder whether ABS would have saved you?  If there's one thing I've learned from my get-offs and stories of other's get-offs is that no one knows what it's like and what could have been better then the rider, so I don't want to second guess about what could have happened.

In any case wishes for good healing and I'm happy it wasn't worse.

BTW, I'm sure that the ATGATT did save you from worse injuries to your skin and head.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 139

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 04:46:30 PM »

Maybe the wide angle lens made the vehicle look further away than reality. Definitely sounded like front wheel lockup. Just bad all around. Heal quickly Steve.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Tow-Pac (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »

Obviously way past time for me to have updated my report ... I'll blame it on the drugs.  Thanks for your good wishes - much appreciated.  Hopefully this report won't be too boring ...

Saw surgeon on 5/2 and had 3 3/4 hours of surgery on 5/3 (took longer than he anticipated*).  Outside of left tibia plateau (top of tibia) was fractured into 5-7 "identifiable" pieces (apparently below a small size they don't count), and there was a lengthwise crack about 1/4 of the way down the tibia.  The multi-pieces left a void between tibia and femur.  Crack was fixed with screws (can't even be seen on post-op x-ray).  Void was filled with calcium phosphate which is held in place with a plate that's screwed into tibia.  No load bearing for 3 months, but it actually takes about 2 years for the body to fully assimilate the calcium phosphate as/into bone.

Saw doc after 12 days and all looks good.  Had my 35 staples removed (30 in one line, 2 and 3 in two other places) without issue.  It looked pretty ugly when first revealed (this past Friday) but after just a day it really looks almost normal, just swollen.  I really haven't had a lot of pain (mostly an itching, aching feeling) and have been down to just one pain pill at bedtime for about 5 days (with no distractions at night it kind of "stands out" making drifting off a bit difficult).

I no longer have to use the immobilizer unless I want to (for "security"), and being able to shower without 10 minutes of pre-shower wrapping & taping is a major advance.

The big issue now is just getting around.  I still have a sore chest muscle so using crutches or the walker is uncomfortable.  The wheelchair makes it much easier but it doesn't fit everywhere.  I travel the stairs on my backside, one step at a time ... hardly dignified but it strikes me a lot safer than crutches (no chance of falling).  I've some exercises to do and in home physical therapy is supposed to be coming.  The in home part was unexpected but welcome, especially as we watch our 5 month old grandson during the day and taking me anywhere requires our daughter to make other arrangements (his "capsule" and my stiff leg won't both fit in the car just yet).

Amazingly the bike does not appear to be in very bad shape - just ground up plastic on the left side.  Essentially, I just low sided.  After tossing me the bike just slid on its left until it made it into the grass, then stood up to almost vertical, and fell back down.  Today was the first time I got out to take a look at it (as best I could from wheelchair).  I also took a closer look at my gear and was surprised by all the cuts & scrapes I found that I really wasn't aware of.  Message reinforced - wear your gear, even on short runs.  Some photos are posted at https://www.flickr.com/photos/56056153@N08/sets/72157650662390624 .  By the way, as an AMA member, the bike was hauled home per the road service that comes with auto renewed membership.  I went down within a couple miles of home.  My daughter, who stayed with the bike, said the guy who hauled it spent as much time tying it down as he did driving it home.  AMA claims to take care to only call folks who know how to haul bikes ... we're convinced.  It starts and appears to be running just fine, so it's just sitting in the garage with a battery tender attached.

Of course every event such as this has many stories to be told ... my favorite:  I'm in the ambulance being strapped down and the EMT is playing the do you have dain bramage, twenty questions game. 
EMT: What year is it?  Me: 2015 (nailed it)
EMT: Who is the president, even if you don't like him?  Me: Obama ... what?  What do you mean if I don't like him?
EMT: We have to say that because so many people get upset when we ask.  Me: (hmmm?)
EMT: What month is it?  Me: April (it's April 29th)
EMT: Close enough.  Me: What do you mean close enough?
EMT: It's May.  Me: No, it's not.
EMT: Oh wait a minute ... let me think ... yeah, you're right.  (In her defense Derby is always the first Saturday in May and, in Louisville, spring time revolves around the Derby.  Since we'd been immersed in Derby festivities for two weeks and Derby was just two days away, for a lot of folks here it already was May).

As regards "what happened" ... I locked it up, and low sided.  Obviously I saw her there and could not believe she pulled out.  My reaction was involuntary - I was sliding before I even knew I had done anything.  My first conscious recollection after seeing her pull out was of having the brake levers pinned to the handle bars and looking down at the ground.  I don't know which wheel was locked up but I only saw one rubber strip on the road, and the groove from the dragging center stand when we passed by the site going home.  Of course I've rethought this a hundred times and wished I'd gotten off of the brakes to regain traction - but given the time that would've taken (even just fractions of a second) I'd probably have hit her and no telling where'd I'd gone then.  I wish I'd had ABS ... it may well have saved me.  I get practicing emergency stops so you don't lock it up but, as I said, I was unaware I had even applied the brakes until I was already sliding.  Retraining your brain/muscles to not react by immediate, hard braking must take a LOT of practice.

* A side note:  A high school buddy of mine works for Styker and sells "body parts".  Turns out he knows my surgeon well and I suspect, via their reported discussions, I've a more personal connection to my surgeon than normal.  I've no doubt his care is exemplary for all his patients (great reputation) but somehow this personal link feels most comforting.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 12:04:20 AM »

Good to hear you are on the mend now.  Unfortunately as they told you it does take a long time for this particular injury to completely heal. 

As for locking up the brakes.  Even if you practice emergency braking you can over apply the brakes when a real emergency happens.  In my book that is what makes ABS a good idea. 
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 12:28:12 AM »

Thanks for the update. I was wondering how you made out ; and it seems you made it quite well to the "wait to heal" stage with a positive attitude in tact.  A good attitude will help speed the healing.  I think part of that attitude is shown in your interest of the bike's condition.  Glad damage isn't too bad.

Needless to say ... "heal well" !

Mike
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 06:29:54 AM »

Glad you're moving along in the healing process.  Second guessing your accident doesn't help you as much as all that.  Once it's happened that's it!  Also remember that if the lady didn't pull out in front of you for no good reason none of it would have happened FOR SURE!

This riding season is shot for you due to the injuries.  That give you quite a while to decide what to do about the bike and what you'll ride after this.  It's my experience that nothing teaches panic stopping except real life panic stopping.  It's just what you said.  That the reactions needed are different then the ones we spent so much to learn for cars.  Our hobby is very dangerous and especially in the spring, when we've had a hiatus from riding and the car drivers have had a hiatus from seeing M/Cs on the road.
gnslngr
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2013 R1200RT gone; 2014 C600 Sport current

Thank You
-Given: 9
-Receive: 3

Email
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 01:50:54 PM »

Oh, man, I just saw this.  First of all, really sorry for your pain.  And really sorry about that bike as well.  Hope you recover good as new, and quickly. 

That said, your video scared the ever-lovin' bejesus out of me.  Here's why:  You, like me, wear a Hi-Viz jacket and a Hi-Viz helmet.  That she didn't see you is completely amazing.  And completely horrifying.  Thank you for reminding me to ride defensively.  That video should be required viewing.  It shows riders how people just simply don't see us, no matter what we do.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 04:01:27 PM »

Oh, man, I just saw this.  First of all, really sorry for your pain.  And really sorry about that bike as well.  Hope you recover good as new, and quickly. 

That said, your video scared the ever-lovin' bejesus out of me.  Here's why:  You, like me, wear a Hi-Viz jacket and a Hi-Viz helmet.  That she didn't see you is completely amazing.  And completely horrifying.  Thank you for reminding me to ride defensively.  That video should be required viewing.  It shows riders how people just simply don't see us, no matter what we do.

Not sure why it should amaze you.  People pull out in front of firetrucks with all their lights going and high viz paint covering the whole truck.  Compared to that your jack and helmet are just a speck. 
Duster
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Burgman 400

Thank You

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 03:45:49 PM »

People pull out in front of firetrucks with all their lights going and high viz paint covering the whole truck.  Compared to that your jack and helmet are just a speck. 

Lost a rice-rocket rider in Lubbock yesterday...36 year-old.
Hit the L front wheel of an 18 wheeler pulling out to make a R hand turn...
didn't see the cycle coming from an underpass....lots of accidents
at this intersection...very difficult to see traffic coming through
the underpass..been there many times myself.
News video showed gym shoes laying in the street, along with a
helmet he had with him, but was not wearing.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 107

Email
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 02:14:26 AM »

Thanks for the pics of the your gear. Oft times I will try to justify not wearing my gear by thinking that I'm just running into town. Then I remember things like this. I hate to think what your feet would look(or feel like) like if you were wearing sneakers. Just imagine what your face may have ended up looking like! The bike doesn't look too bad, and thankfully you're still around to fret about it. Heal well and soon.
gnslngr
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2013 R1200RT gone; 2014 C600 Sport current

Thank You
-Given: 9
-Receive: 3

Email
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 04:31:02 AM »

Not sure why it should amaze you.  People pull out in front of firetrucks with all their lights going and high viz paint covering the whole truck.  Compared to that your jack and helmet are just a speck. 
l
Um, yea.    But it's still surprising.  It's still amazing.  Yes, I am quite aware it happens all the time.  And I am aware of the size disparity between myself and a truck.   Nonetheless, it amazes me every time it happens.
wyd
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: xs400, CB750F, FZR600, FZ6, ZX6RR, KLR650, VStar 1100

Thank You
-Given: 38
-Receive: 8

wyd10
Email
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »

Wow that is a scary video.  Glad in time you will be ok but that still don't make it right what happened to you.  After watching and seeing what you where wearing with the high viz stuff on their is no excuse she couldn't see you.  I'm sorry if it where me and I had all that gear on in the high viz I would be taking her insurance company to the cleaner.  I would have an attorney that is ruthless because this excuse I didn't see you BS is for the birds.  I know I bought me and my did nice Fly Racing high viz yellow vests and I have a high viz helmet and thin I put high viz striping on my dads helmet so if we get hit and that excuse comes up I'm sorry but someone is going to pay dearly.

I was hit once before in 2001 sitting a red light in an 25mph zone and was rear ended by a douche bag reading directions off his steering wheel.  As I look back now I wish I would of got an attorney and hammered them because I did zero wrong and now years later my back is giving me problems.

Mine: 2009 Yamaha Majesty 400
CBailey Windsheild, Sheepskin seat cover, 46L Yamaha Trunk
Dads: 2006 Morphous and new 2012 Burgman 400 (8-28-14)
CBailey Windshield, Sheepskin seat cover
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »

Update:

Saw my surgeon Friday and got a bit of a reprieve from the "no weight bearing for 3 months" (it'd been 7 weeks).  I'm now allowed up to 40% of full weight bearing (FWB), depending on what I can tolerate (I'm waiting on outpatient PT this week to see if they've a better way to measure 40%, than my guessing with a bathroom scale).  The goal now is to get to FWB with a cane, perhaps in 6 weeks.

Of course I overdid it Friday after seeing the doc (walked a lot with walker but nowhere near 40% weight - retraining motion more than strength) and my leg let me know it wasn't happy that night.  So I cooled it yesterday and was OK by evening.  For now the hurdles seem to be stiffness (still swollen) and atrophy more so than pain from the break.  Fingers crossed.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 351
-Receive: 827

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 08:52:58 PM »

Glad things are improving! 
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 10:08:25 PM »

Glad things are improving! 

Me too .... me too !  Time heals all wounds !  I hope so.

Guess ice will be your friend for a while .....(and not just in the glass).

Good to hear how you are doing. Thanks.
Mike
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: