December 09, 2019, 07:41:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: oh deer its that time of year  (Read 903 times)
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2011 Burgman 650,2012 Silverwing, Burgman 650, Burgman 400x2, Vulcan 750x4, Goldwing 1200'sx2, Honda Nighthawkx2, Honda Helix

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 47

Back in Babies' Arms

Email
« on: September 28, 2017, 10:28:37 PM »

Actually, here in the middle of Tennessee it's ALWAYS that time .... I see deer almost every ride.  But they are starting to move around a bit more recently.   The hunting season is approaching so I quess that's got something to do with it???

So Saturday I'm riding on a four lane divided highway, not a Interstate, but a lazy rural connector road.  I spy with my little eye, about 100 yards ahead, what I first thought was a dog in the road.  The closer I got I realized that it was a deer.  BUT this deer was right in the middle of my lane ... running straight at me!  I've seen many deer run across the road but this was a first ... that crazy critter was just loping right at me.  I slowed, applied some rear brake ... and begin to run scenario's in my head ... what's he gonna do?  What am I gonna do?  Which way is he gonna go?  Do I zig?  Do I zag?  Do I stop??   I decided to swerve right to the shoulder hoping that wild eyed deer would go the other direction. And he did! Thankfully. 

Two days later, another four lane connector road ... this time a more urban area ... a deer bounds across the road in front of me.  Remembering the Noah's Ark principle ... I'm watching for his plus one ... sure enough, seconds later, another follows right behind the first one. Jeez.

Be careful out there as "the season" approaches.

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 22

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 06:55:31 AM »

Yep, it's getting to be that time of the year. Mostly I think it is the does moving around from being bothered by the bucks. We've got a doe here that makes regular rounds through my back yard early in the morning with a set of twin fawns tagging along behind. (they still have their spots) Don't think the bucks are bothering her as I think she may still be nursing. That is if does don't go into estrus while nursing fawns.

Deer are pretty thick around here too, so we see them often. But in the fall it gets worse because they move out into the open more often and more frequently during broad daylight. Regrettably that means they run out onto main roads at random times during the day and at places where they normally would never be during other times of the year. Be careful out there... and when the trees loose their leaves, they can be a hazard too...  especially wet leaves.

Southeast Michigan Dark Side Rider
4 Honda Reflex scooters & a FSC600A Silverwing
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 144

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »

We must have seen hundreds of deer riding in Wisconsin and Michigan. Luckily no incidents but it makes me scan the roadside more than usual.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 359
-Receive: 842

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 09:03:27 PM »

I could not believe how many we saw at this years rally.  Nothing like running a high speed front pack then running across 20 deer in someones front yard  I was praying they would stay put!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 179

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 06:10:42 AM »

A friend posted an article on FB addressing this very subject. Deer, it seems, are the #1 killers from the critterverse with bees, wasps, and hornets running a distant 2ed. There are some charts and tables if you're interested.

http://www.wideopencountry.com/u-s-map-shows-deadliest-animal-in-each-state/

__
Don
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 22

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 07:30:23 AM »

We must have seen hundreds of deer riding in Wisconsin and Michigan. Luckily no incidents but it makes me scan the roadside more than usual.
I've been in Michigan all my life, but I have never seen any deer riding. If there were no incidents then they must have been good riders. 

sorry... I just had to.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 144

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »

Haha, forgot to put "while riding".
bicyclenut
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2014 BMW C650GT; 2003 Honda Silverwing(sold); 2003 Honda Reflex(sold), 1987 Honda Elite 150(sold); Yamaha 50cc(sold)

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 3

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 08:33:51 PM »

Just encountered one on side of road far west burbs of Chicago on way home from work, just after dusk. Luckily I saw it in advanced and could slow down and make sure it didn't decide to cross the road.

Caught it on my front video cam, left side of screen.

https://youtu.be/G69wdF-UYNk
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 171

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 08:48:45 PM »

Around here you have to watch for the deer but even worse are the wild pigs.  Hitting one of those really messes up your day.

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 146,318 miles
06 Burgman 400, 50,607 miles
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 359
-Receive: 842

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 10:09:17 PM »

Damn to both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: