January 24, 2021, 04:40:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burgman 400 pre 2007 front suspension upgrade for cheap.  (Read 10426 times)
scooterbj
« on: January 04, 2015, 10:46:17 PM »

Hello Burgman Maxi-Scootists. I had been planning to post this for a long while but much activity in the non-scooting' life has kept me off most forums for a while.

Anyway, I found the front suspension on our 2005 Burgman 400 very soft and saggy. This was also the case on our Silver Wing (known issue). I have a long history of spring upgrades on my motorcycles and scooters, so the Silver Wing received a HyperPro fork kit shortly after purchase (just as my prior Silver Wing had). It was very frustrating to me that the pre 2007 Burgman 400 does not have a fork spring upgrade available.

On a hunch I did some comparison and .... to make a long story short, stock Honda Silver Wing 600 fork springs fit into our 2005 Burgman 400. This considerably stiffened the forks, eliminated the excessive sag and made the scoot handle and brake a hell of a lot better. The spring diameter was the same. The Silver Wing has longer forks and uses spacers above the springs. Without spacers the Silver Wing springs fit in the Burgman forks with no issues. I also added new fork seals and upgraded the fork fluid by about 5 weight heavier at the same time. The Silver Wing springs are progressively wound and the Burgman springs were straight rate wound.

Within a few days of the swap the Burgman was one of the scooters on the Rockin' the Rockies tour and did over 1100 miles loaded through the Rockies with only great improvements in handling. Some might consider the forks a bit stiff, but not for our taste. I suppose we could have trimmed an inch off the springs to soften them, if we wanted them softer, but loved them the way they came out.

As most serious Silver Wing riders consider the HyperPro front spring upgrade a must (or at least  I do) I suspect there are lots of stock Silver Wing springs laying around garages.

Anyway, just passing this info on. I make all the usual disclaimers as this was something I did and make no claims of success, safety, etc. for anyone else and if anyone were to attempt this it would be at their own risk, blah, blah, blah.
Max T
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:38:36 PM »

Thx for the info

Have put a copy of your message on our forum
scooterbj
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »

Thx for the info

Have put a copy of your message on our forum

Cool. I had planned to attempt an upgrade the spring on the rear shock as well as I had the stock rear mono shock spring from a KLR650, DL1000 and another bike. However, we sold the Burg400 due to moving and having limited storage for a while, so I never got the opportunity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: