June 26, 2019, 05:41:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice On CVT Clatter - BV 250  (Read 4168 times)
ScooterTrash
« on: August 18, 2010, 01:21:51 AM »

Greetings!  I recently purchased a used 2006 BV 250, with about 5,000 miles on it.  Ever since I bought it, and over the last 850 miles or so, I've detected a clattering sound from the CVT area.  I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and not afraid to open it up and rectify the situation.  I'm curious what you guys with experience would replace while in there?  Looking at this website (http://scootertrap.com/BV250.htm), down low on the left hand side of the page, is a J. Costa Variator, and in the description is included the phrase "less vibration and no roller clanking".  Is this what I'm hearing?  There does indeed seem to be a bit of vibration on deceleration, just as you roll off the throttle.  I'm not too worried about that at this point, but I do feel it. 

So, perhaps a variator replacement is in my future.  Like I said though, should I just start with that, or should I order several pieces and do an overall upgrade while I'm in there?  I guess I'm concerned that changing too many parts in one swipe could give me issues that cause me to start chasing my tail.  Perhaps doing it one step at a time is the prudent way.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that any CVT experience would be helpful, not just with the BV 250.  Anybody got any advice, I'd be glad to hear it!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 333
-Receive: 813

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 03:03:40 AM »

Not to send you elsewhere but have you posted this at

www.modernvespa.com

I hope you find an answer.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
ScooterTrash
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 04:35:08 AM »

Thank you Maggie.  I'm registered over there as well, but I don't think I've posted yet.  Gotta start sometime!   
TechGuy
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 08:50:36 PM »

ST,

I am going to guess the clatter is due to your CVT rollers hunting to find the correct place int he CVT ramp. You may also have worn rollers.  From the factory, they are smooth and round but they can wear to the point where they have flat spots.  I am not sold on using either the JCosta or Malossi CVT replacements as being great for "everyday" use.  They may be great for performance modification and racing; but, I personally feel they make the bike less reliable than the OEM CVT.

I do like the DR Pulley Sliders. They don't really change the OEM variator to much.  The sliders replace the rollers with a "roller" that slides. They do seem to smooth out the power band and provide for smoother accelerations.

Post over at MV and see what you get there too.  I am active there too. I have the same user name there as here.
ScooterTrash
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 02:11:13 AM »

Okay TechGuy, thank you for the info.  I'm really not interested in trying to make a 'performance' scooter out of it, but some minor upgrades while I'm doing routine maintenance would be okay with me.  I just want it to be accelerate smoothly and quietly.  It doesn't have to do it any quicker, or go any faster.  I'll definitely check into the DR Pulley Sliders.  Would there be a good combination of things to replace at the same time, or just clean it all up, install the DR's, and see where I stand?

I posted the question over on MV, and got some replies over there as well.  I'm Lab Rat on that forum, btw.
TechGuy
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 06:59:08 PM »

I saw your post over there.  I just ordered new DR Pulley sliders from a buggy shop in Seattle.  The had mine in stock and they were $40. including shipping.
CornDog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 03:45:59 PM »

I had a clatter noise on my 2009 bv250 and mentioned it to the mechanic doing my routine service at 2500 miles. He said it was the shock that vibrates and clatters at certain speeds. Not an expert of mechanically inclined. Just passing on the info. 3400 miles now and nothing has changed.
ScooterTrash
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 11:54:01 PM »

Oh, like the rear shock?  I'll have to see if I can figure out a way to listen for it.  That would save me a lot of trouble for now, although with 6,000 miles on it, I'll have to get in there sooner or later.  It's got a Piaggio top case on it, and I know that rattles a little bit as well, but that is definitely a hollow plastic rattle coming from the case.

I've got my springs pre-set on the 2nd notch.  I wonder if ratcheting them up to the 3rd would maybe take up some slack and eliminate the rattle.

Thanks for the info, by the way.  I wouldn't have thought to even check the shocks.  I'll post back if I find something.
ponydrvr
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 04:37:09 AM »

There are two different belts for the 250 series powerplants.  The primary only difference is their length difference of approximately 3/4 inch.  The longer belt will cause this juddering you have described.

Also, not having the belt seated deep enough into the clutch pulley when reassembling will not permit fully seating the front half of the variator pulley when it gets torqued down.  

As has already been said, the rollers are problematic and also contribute to the juddering.  The clutch torque spring can also contribute to this issue.  Replacing them with DR. Pulley sliders is a good first step.

IMHO, J. Costa has wildly erratic reports, especially in the 250's.  One thing for certain is that the JC weights are not readily available.

UPDATE:  I just found a place in Spain that can and does supply J Costa Parts
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: