October 18, 2018, 03:15:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Burgman 400 Bridgestone "G" Spec Rear Tire (07+)  (Read 1660 times)
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 9
-Receive: 38

« on: February 28, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »

I've been googling of late to find the difference between the Bridgestone Hoop 150/70S-13 (for the Silverwing) and the 150/70-13 G (for the Burgman) ... that is some difference besides the ~20% price premium for the G spec.  I sent an inquiry to Bridgestone and just received a call from Bridgestone tech support.

First off, the guy I talked to allowed as how they primarily dealt with car tires (there's a shock).  It took him a bit of rummaging through several spreadsheets to find info on both tires.  He told me he couldn't send out the spec sheet but was happy to read off the differences he could see.  Here they are:

G Spec         Not G Spec
Item #                  113382           157279
For                      Brgmn 400      Silverwing
OD                         20.4"               21.4"
Sidewall                   5.1"                 5.9"
Org Tread Depth      8/32"               9/32"
Weight                  13.5#              13.1#
Max Pressure          32psi               36psi

I mentioned that although he probably wasn't involved with retail prices it seemed odd that the "smaller" tire commanded a higher price.  He didn't really have an answer but he concurred that the best explanation is simply that the different tires are built to the different manufacturer's specs.  He went on to say that his spreadsheet did not have all the info he's used to seeing for car tires, e.g., tire compound.  There may be another clue to the difference in the fact that though the "G" is a smaller tire, it weighs more.

He closed by saying that if I had any more questions, I could call them at 800-847-3272, their Tech Support line.  However my guess is that unless you speak Japanese and want to make an international call, you're not going to get much more information on bike tires.  They simply don't deal with them that much.

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 169

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:09:49 PM »

I have been doing some more research on these two tires and I found this PDF of specs for Bridgestone tires on a European link.

http://www.eurotred.com.au/lib/pdf/2012MotorcycleDataBook.pdf

It has some info that might help explain the difference.  The spec sheet indicates the Burgman tire is designed to mount on a 3.5 inch rim width and the Silverwing mounts on a 4.5 inch rim width.

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 141,589 miles
06 Burgman 400, 49,152 miles
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:36:05 PM »

Nice find, Buffalo ...  wonder why details are such a big secret here.  Guess it's just another example of how the US scooter market is, umm, underserved.

It's also interesting that some of the specs he gave me do not match those in the book you found.  Not exactly confidence boosting.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:27:29 PM »

My new "genuine G" tire was delivered today.  Ahh, I love the smell of fresh rubber in the morning.

Incredibly, even the label on the the tire makes no reference to the G specification.  You have to know that the part number (113382) is the G spec.

And on the tire, it's not part of the designation.  The only "G" is after where it reads Hoop B02.  Could they make using the correct tire any more difficult?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: