December 15, 2018, 02:27:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe purchasing a nice used 2003 Burgman 400  (Read 2004 times)
pallettman
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 9

Email
« on: December 13, 2013, 03:54:10 AM »

Hi all, I went and looked at a used 2003 400 Burgman today. Looks excellent, everything works, one small piece of rash on the drivers side footboard where she laid it over at a stop light. Looks like it needs both tires, and is just about due for a new belt. It has 10K and starts and runs excellent. They want 2,000 for it. Seems like a good price.

Now for my question. When it is running at slow speeds, there is a weird whirring noise coming from the end of the CVT where the clutches are. When it is running on the center stand, it starts on cranking, but as the speed increases, it goes away. I took it for a test ride and it seems OK, but I have never ridden a Suzuki before and don't know if this is normal or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 169

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 04:02:21 AM »

Most likely the bearing on the clutch output shaft.  Common problem for them to go bad.  It is only turning when the clutch is not engaged.  When the engine speeds up and the clutch engages the shaft it is on is locked to the clutch so it does not turn.  If that is it you should also be able to hear the noise if you push the bike around with the engine off.

Since it is not turning when the bike is moving you don't have to worry to much about it.  Worse thing that can happen is that if did happen to seize completely up then the clutch would not disengage and it would kill the engine when you came to a stop.  That is not real likely to happen though.     

Fairly easy thing to change when you change the belt out. 

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 142,272 miles
06 Burgman 400, 49,466 miles
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 384
-Receive: 195

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 05:11:31 AM »

Fairly easy thing to change when you change the belt out. 

I would change out the belt right away anyway. Just because you don't know how old it is. Just for your own piece of mind.

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
Liamjs
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 07 Burgman 400 & 05 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 22

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 05:46:51 AM »

Check the BurgmanUSA site for clutch deglazing. Common problem and easy fix.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 9
-Receive: 38

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »

If you get it, check VIN to see if switch recall applies.  See http://maxi-scoots.com/scoot/index.php?topic=5859.msg69569#msg69569.

If so, check with Suzuki (dealer?) to verify that recall has been applied. 

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
pallettman
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 05:01:02 PM »

Yeah, it has 10K miles. I would change out the tires (original) and belt (also original) anyway since they are both 11 years old. Thanks for the tips.

But  I am not sure if I am going to buy it. I was surprised how little the seating area is. When I sit all the way back, my knees miss the dash by only 1/2 inch. I thought Burgmans were bigger.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 10:49:52 PM »

Did you check to see if the driver's backrest (commonly referred to as the buttstop) was in the full back position.  If you open the seat there is a lever on the bottom.  When you press it you can move the backrest back and forth.

That being said, if you inseam is much more than 32 inches then you will probably find the leg room lacking.  Folks with longer legs usually just remove the backrest all together.  On my 06 400 I built a bracket to convert it to a true backrest that sits higher and further back.  With my 33 inch inseam that made riding it more comfortable.      
pallettman
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 01:38:30 AM »

Yes, we adjusted the backrest so it was all the way back. If you remove the backrest, it would fit perfect. But doesn't it leave a hole in the seat so water could leak in? I guess if you reupholstered the seat, you could fix that. I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I guess I am going to run into this problem with any step-through scoot. My Big Ruckus has floorboards that I have also extended 4.5" so I have plenty of legroom. I now have 54K on my BR. Starting to think of maybe time for a new ride. No problems, just lots of miles.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 02:16:01 AM »

You can find plastic plugs at hardware stores that will fill the holes. 

Look at my gallery on the BurgmanUSA site and you can see how I modified my buttstop into a backrest.  http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Buffalo/Little+Blue/

There is also a fellow on BUSA that modifies headrest from an Isuzu into backrest.  This link will give you some info on it.  http://burgmanusa.com/forums/17-aftermarket-accessories/49724-bearcat-backrest-outstanding-service.html
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 04:20:05 AM »

I bought one of the modified Isuzu headrest/backrests a couple of years ago and was shocked to discover the support rods were PVC pipes.  They'd been painted black to disguise that fact.  In the thread provided they're not painted.  They were also only attached to the headrest by friction, with the headrest's metal rods wedged into the pipe after wrapping with multiple layers of tape.  The fact that they're PVC is likely also why they're not adjustable.  To be adjustable they have to be notched, and that would seriously weaken the plastic pipe.  In my case, after several months of use, the PVC broke ... so I replaced the PVC pipe with metal tubing, welding the headrest's metal rods into it and notching it so the backrest is adjustable (though for me the adjustment is moot as I always have it all the way back).  I also re-bent the headrest rods to better fit my riding position.

I stuck with it ... well ... because I had it, but I don't believe it's the best solution.  My wife's 400 which we bought used came with a better setup that simply raises the stock "buttrest" several inches.  It's a mod I'd seen some years ago and I'm not able to find it on-line now, but I'll post pics if there's any interest.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 04:46:17 AM »

My wife's 400 which we bought used came with a better setup that simply raises the stock "buttrest" several inches.  It's a mod I'd seen some years ago and I'm not able to find it on-line now, but I'll post pics if there's any interest.

That is essentially what I did to mine.  You can see pictures of how I did it in the gallery link I posted above.  I've done the same for some friends on both 400s and 650s.  Pretty easy to do if you have some common metal working hand tools.  Basically something to cut the metal with and a drill.   
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 06:09:42 PM »

Hadn't looked at your gallery before ... yep, that's pretty much how my wife's was modified.  The only difference being whoever did it enclosed the bracket(s) in vinyl that matches the seat, and added a cushion in the space between the seat and the raised backrest.

IMHO this mod is easier, cleaner, cheaper and works just as well (if not better) than the Isuzu headrest version ... plus you don't have the unused backrest taking up storage space somewhere. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: