November 19, 2017, 05:51:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morphous V belt  (Read 2209 times)
pittguy
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 1

Email
« on: October 18, 2013, 10:02:49 PM »

How difficult is it to change the Morphous V belt?

Hints, shortcuts, tips? All much appreciated!
hip001
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 2

In God We Trust!

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 06:09:58 AM »

It was pretty easy. Just make sure you torque the clutch and variator bolts to spec and your ready. Note: I had to use a big clamp to squeeze the belt in the middle once I had the nuts started with cover off, to spread the pulleys apart for enough room to put the cover on and start the nut on the shaft. (It will make sense when you put it back together)

2006 Morphous Blue 7k miles
2006 Morphous Black 10k miles
5 BMW's .....sold but still want another one :-)
2007 Piaggio MP3 .......Sold
Yamaha Riva 180......Sold
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 162

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 12:40:39 AM »

Although a bit overdue, the belt replacement on my Yamaha Morphous is underway. With some recollection on servicing a previously owned maxi-scooter and reading for ideas, a couple new tools helped the process along...

4.  In position and ready...

Enough photos for one post...

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 12:47:09 AM »

5.  Close up just to show the socket size...

I placed the nut in the picture for no other reason than to show it was removed.

7.  Found an excellent plan on another forum and made a few modifications...

Worth noting is the holder didn't need to be super tight to be quite effective.

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:52:29 AM »

With the Morphous' CVT now disassembled, I decided to replace the rollers (not the best timing, I realize) as well as the drive belt. My first thought was to order OEM replacements, but many forum members/CVT owners have used alternative hardware such as sliders. I'll read through some threads on the topic, but will appreciate any thoughts added to this thread.

minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 44
-Receive: 66

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:15:46 PM »

If I'm not mistaking, the rollers are the same wt. and size(25x15x15) as used on the Majesty. I prefer to stay with rollers. I've read too many posts from people having problems with sliders flipping. Whether or not they installed them wrong doesn't matter to me-I only want to do the job once and my factory rollers have lasted 25K miles with no issues. Besides, the rollers are less expensive, though only a minor factor. I replaced those in my Majesty with 14gr. rollers and was pleased with the slight but noticeable improvement. When I pull my Morphous apart, I have set of 18gr rollers. I'll change 1/2 of them and see if I like that better.
 While I'm very pleased with my Morphous, I'm looking into the possibility of having the ECU reflashed to better suit my riding style. Next up for mine are tires.  I'm still hoping the deal I had for second Morphous will come together. 

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 04:18:29 PM »

I prefer to stay with rollers. I've read too many posts from people having problems with sliders flipping. Whether or not they installed them wrong doesn't matter to me-I only want to do the job once and my factory rollers have lasted 25K miles with no issues.

Thanks, I followed your advice. All of the rollers measured within spec, but a couple showed a small amount of wear. Decided to replace them all. The v-belt measured barely within spec (27mm) for width, but overdue on miles, so this was clearly a replacement item.

I had to use a big clamp to squeeze the belt in the middle once I had the nuts started with cover off, to spread the pulleys apart for enough room to put the cover on and start the nut on the shaft. (It will make sense when you put it back together)

This turned out to be very useful information. Using a clamp worked nicely and, as hip001 mentioned, it made sense when I put it back together. No question, I perceived a performance improvement (not enormous, but noticeable) on the road after completing the v-belt replacement and CVT reassembly.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 06:35:53 PM »

Did you happen to check how high the belt is riding in the variator? A magic marker line on the motor side, inside (belt side) face will wear away from the belt when running. You want the belt to run as high as possible to maximize performance. It can be fine tuned by varying the variator and clutch springs.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:38:46 PM »

Interesting thought, but no. My post v-belt replacement evaluation was brief and mostly subjective regarding acceleration. One piece of information might be worthwhile.

Though the rate of acceleration decreases significantly through the 60s and 70s as always, I noted the Morphous reached 80 MPH (indicated) without 'objection' from the rev limiter, compared to 76 or 77 MPH with the now replaced v-belt. This matched my recollection and expectation, if nothing more, having owned the Morphous since new.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »

I have had mine running at a GPS 78mph with my fat carcass on it. Indicated speed was 82 or so and the tach-as well as I could read- was over 9000. I didn't  run it long like that! From about 35-60mph, it pulls really strong. I noticed similar results on my Majesty when I went to 14gram rollers from the original 15s. The "seat of the pants" gauge felt the difference.
 Your new belt is probably riding higher on the variator than the old one, yielding the higher top end. BTW, thanks for providing the pictures.
dedee
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: kymco yager - frost 200i kymco downtown300i- 2016 piaggio BV 350i sport

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 06:59:01 AM »

5.  Close up just to show the socket size...

I placed the nut in the picture for no other reason than to show it was removed.

7.  Found an excellent plan on another forum and made a few modifications...

Worth noting is the holder didn't need to be super tight to be quite effective.

you can put two bolts the other end of your board the right space for the bell clutch holes,  I used two pieces of steel with two bolts for the variator with one bolt to hold the two pieces of steel together it is adjustable for both, clutch and variator, 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: