July 18, 2019, 09:46:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scooter Recalls?  (Read 7956 times)
SteveM
« on: August 04, 2013, 02:25:08 PM »

I've been putting time on my new to me '07 X9 Evolution 500 scooter but have had an issue with poor idle and stalling when coming to a stop or traffic light. I've done some checking online and I see that there was a recall notice back in 2009 to replace some hoses and other bits. I've emailed Piaggio Canada and provided my VIN to ask if my bike is affected and whether the repairs were ever made. Still waiting on a reply.

Does anyone know if there is an online registry to see if such recall repairs were done based on the VIN number?

2007 PIAGGIO X9 500 MOTORCYCLE RECALL - #09V188000

RECALL FOR FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER : DELIVERY : HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
PIAGGIO IS RECALLING 2,428 MY 2006-2008 BV 500 AND MY 2005-2007 X9 500 SCOOTERS. THE FUEL HOSE CONNECTING THE FUEL TO THE FUEL PUMP MAY COME LOOSE. IF THIS FUEL HOSE CONNECTION IS LOOSE, OR HAS BECOME COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED, THERE WILL BE A DROP IN, OR LOSS OF, FUEL PRESSURE TO THE ENGINE.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 333
-Receive: 814

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 02:29:21 PM »

Ahh the old Piaggio hose issue,  sucks you have it.  Good news it is an easy fix.  I have not seen an online database like you speak of.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
SteveM
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 02:44:48 PM »

Ahh the old Piaggio hose issue,  sucks you have it.  Good news it is an easy fix.  I have not seen an online database like you speak of.

Sucks big time and is a PITA when coming to a stop for sure. Otherwise the X9 is a delight on the open road.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »

Good news is you won't have to wait 6-9 months for a hose like most did back in 2009.
SteveM
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »

Good news is you won't have to wait 6-9 months for a hose like most did back in 2009.

I hope not. Hopefully Piaggio Canada will reply and I can take her in for service soon.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 08:08:20 AM »

At least they're admitting the mistake, unlike Suzuki and the stopper bolts.  My Yamaha FJR had a recall for what we called the "Spider Bite".  The whole electrical would fry out.  That's what made me leave the rally early.  The bike wouldn't start after a gas stop.  After a while it started and I ran it 800 miles home non-stop.  It started one more time then a tow to the dealer.  The good side was that Yamaha admitted fault even though my FJR is an 06.  They tore it down and replaced the ele tribal harness and much of the wiring at Yamaha's expense.  Probably the better part of a $2,000.00 repair.

With my Burgman, Suzuki did the stonewall.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 137
-Receive: 164

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 03:43:18 PM »

Hopefully, Piaggio CN is better than Piaggio GR! They don't even acknowledge that the X10 is one of their models.

__
Don
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda 70 Passport, Yamaha 185 Exciter, Yamaha 250 Exciter, Kawasaki 550LTD, Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, Yamaha Virago 1100

Thank You
-Given: 31
-Receive: 11

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »

I stumbled upon this just last night and thought holy shit this is useful although I don't think it will help you Steve.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/

Unfortunately it only goes back to 1967.  

Gurock, my burgman 650 died at right around 30k miles but in spite of this I loved it so much i bought another. This time however I intend to regularly change the stopper bolt. It probably would have helped if I had read and heeded the IMPORTANT Burgman 650 warning at this site too especially since it is such a cheap and easy thing to fix rather than assuming the mechanic would know about it.

Bitch please
SteveM
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 05:45:04 PM »

Hopefully, Piaggio CN is better than Piaggio GR! They don't even acknowledge that the X10 is one of their models.

I'm hopeful they will get back to me soon.

I went for a 100+ km ride today and didn't have any idling issues. That was until I filled up and with the tank brimmed, the bike wasn't happy. Maybe I managed to block a vent or something by over filling. I'll have to play with that a bit next time.

I'm using Fuelly.com to track fuel mileage on my BV250 and the X9 and I am surprised to find that I'm getting near identical fuel mileage. The X9 is getting 79.9 mpg while the BV250 is at 80.3 mpg (Imperial UK gallon).
SteveM
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 04:02:57 PM »

I've just checked with the local Piaggio dealer and my X9 is affected by the recall. Seems to be something regarding the fuel pump which makes sense as the bike refuses to idle, stalls and runs poorly when cold. Work order was opened and now we wait for the parts to arrive which I'm told could take several weeks.

I never did get a reply from Piaggio Canada so they aren't any better than their UK equivalent.
CaNGo
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 05:39:14 AM »

Hello SteveM, I really sorry to hear about your recent matter. I've heard many news about piaggio's hoses and fuel pump in my city recently (esp. motor with injection). Piaggio services in Istanbul recommend to users of piaggio not to use their bike to much after blinking fuel light. by the way Where did u get from below info? is it worldwide recall?
Thank you.
"2007 PIAGGIO X9 500 MOTORCYCLE RECALL - #09V188000
PIAGGIO IS RECALLING 2,428 MY 2006-2008 BV 500 AND MY 2005-2007 X9 500 SCOOTERS. THE FUEL HOSE CONNECTING THE FUEL TO THE FUEL PUMP MAY COME LOOSE. IF THIS FUEL HOSE CONNECTION IS LOOSE, OR HAS BECOME COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED, THERE WILL BE A DROP IN, OR LOSS OF, FUEL PRESSURE TO THE ENGINE."
SteveM
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 02:23:31 PM »

I found the recall info by doing a Google search.

Hello SteveM, I really sorry to hear about your recent matter. I've heard many news about piaggio's hoses and fuel pump in my city recently (esp. motor with injection). Piaggio services in Istanbul recommend to users of piaggio not to use their bike to much after blinking fuel light. by the way Where did u get from below info? is it worldwide recall?
Thank you.
"2007 PIAGGIO X9 500 MOTORCYCLE RECALL - #09V188000
PIAGGIO IS RECALLING 2,428 MY 2006-2008 BV 500 AND MY 2005-2007 X9 500 SCOOTERS. THE FUEL HOSE CONNECTING THE FUEL TO THE FUEL PUMP MAY COME LOOSE. IF THIS FUEL HOSE CONNECTION IS LOOSE, OR HAS BECOME COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED, THERE WILL BE A DROP IN, OR LOSS OF, FUEL PRESSURE TO THE ENGINE."

SteveM
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »

The X9 is now at the dealer for the recall work. It took over 3 weeks for the parts to arrive, which I'm told amount to nothing more than a piece of fuel tubing and some misc clamps. We'll see if this makes any difference with the poor idle and stalling issues.
SteveM
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 10:09:31 PM »

Went to pick up the X9 today and it seems to idle better now. The dealership managed to do something to the instrument cluster and the blue seals surrounding each gauge have come loose. They tell me they may not be able to fix it. I suggested they should as they cased the issue. The bike is with the dealer a bit longer. I bet they phone tomorrow to say they can't fix it. BTW, this is an authorized Piaggio dealer and the only one in town.
CaNGo
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 11:23:16 PM »

are all piaggio services in world nearly same? all model bikes of piaggio have tipical electrical and fuel pump problems. i had digital instrument problem with a piaggio service last year. I prosecuted them.
SteveM
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 02:56:38 AM »

It's terrible to have your dealer break something while doing recall or warranty work and then have the owner say that they may not be able to fix the damage.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 114
-Receive: 68

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 09:38:44 PM »

Hi Steve,
Sorry to hear of your troubles with the dealer/authorized service "center". Surely if they broke the seal they will replace the entire cluster with a new one. They have that protection built into their business, I would think.
Were you handy that tragic train / bus accident this morning? Must have been like a movie for the passengers.  They saw what was coming but were trapped and couldn't do anything but yell at the driver to stop.  On this ride the front seats were not the place to be.
All the best on the repairs,
Mike
SteveM
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 01:09:11 AM »

You would think that as a dealer, when your mechanic break a customer's bike as a result of doing other work (in my case a factory recall) that they would trip over themselves to fix the issue ASAP and with as little inconvenience to the customer as possible. Sadly, when I pointed out the issue to the owner, his first words were that he wasn't even sure they could fix it at all. That's just plain wrong. I've since emailed Piaggio Canada twice to advise them that their authorized Piaggio dealer in my city broke my scooter. To date I've not had a reply.

The horrible bus/train accident here in Ottawa was not in my area and I wasn't affected. I ride a BV250 to commute to work downtown and the accident was south west of Ottawa. Very sad news.
SteveM
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »

The X9 is back home and seems to run like it should now. The issue with the blue spacer or bevel that was inside the gauge cluster was addressed. There was some blue plastic spacer between the gauge face and the plastic upper glass that let go. They were not able to salvage it and in the end took it out completely. The dash still has the same blue back lighting and it all looks good and works as advertised. Time to hiy the road now before the weather gets too nasty.
SteveM
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 10:18:19 PM »

Spoke too soon....just filled the tank and the fuel gauge only reads quarter full. So frustrating.
SteveM
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 05:49:34 PM »

She's back at the dealer so they can fix the fuel gauge. I'm guessing they may have disconnected to do the fuel pump recall service, but not sure. Fingers crossed they get it right this time. Otherwise, the motor purrs now and idles as expected. It's still a hoot to pass guys on the highway.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »

UGH!!!!! Hope your luck turns soon.
SteveM
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »

I had a phone call from the dealer just a few minutes ago and apparently they fixed the fuel gauge issue. They had neglected to reconnect the sending unit when they serviced the fuel pump when doing the recall which is what I expected. Fingers crossed something else hasn't been touched in the process...I just want to ride the thing before it snows.
SteveM
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 11:16:27 PM »

I finally have the X9 home and everything seems to work as it should. Took 5+ weeks for what was a simple recall, but the ordeal is over.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: