May 23, 2019, 03:19:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Read this if you own an x10  (Read 2808 times)
Fanlandcheese
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:02:54 AM »

I have one of the first x10s registered in the country.

It has been absolutely flawless BUT

there is a serious design issue

The fuse carrier is located at the back of the bike under the little flap. It is easy to get to if you pop the seat and then unscrew the 2 screws.

The flaw is that the underside of the fuse carrier is open to ALL the dirt and rain and everything else that can get through the gap.

My X10 has been off the road for 8 weeks whilst a complete new wiring harness has been sent from Italy.

ALL the contact have corroded

If you have noticed poor starting, cutting out, inconsistent fuelling, random lighting or anything else it means your wiring loom is starting to corrode!

Take it to your dealer and ask them to lithium grease the contacts and make a flap or housing to protect the fuse board.

Since mine was diagnosed my dealer has fixed 3 other x10s wi the SAME problem

Good luck and great riding
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 801

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 01:58:48 AM »

Thanks for the info!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 129
-Receive: 161

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »

Thanks. I'll have a look at that tomorrow AM.

__
Don
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 07:43:11 PM »

I went out and had a look-see. Yep.... fuse box is open to the elements. Fortunately, summer in Greece doesn't offer many 'elements' that can get up there but I'll be seeing the Piaggio service men tomorrow.

Thanks for the warning.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »

I went by my Piaggio dealer/service this AM and told him what was happening. 1st question was, "Has your X10 had a problem?". I mentioned some preventative steps but he said that this situation was, pretty much, Piaggio in general and mentioned some other models. I asked if he'd gotten any notice from Piaggio about this and, "no".

Bottom line, I'm more convinced that my initial impression was correct, "The main problem with the X10 is that it's a Piaggio."

The 'fix' should be easy enough with a bit of plastic and a dab of epoxy so I'll do it myself.
CaNGo
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 04:59:31 AM »

Thank you for sharing. That is right "That's is Piaggio". including external appearance of their scooters are perfect but except of all electrical system.
EX925
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 07:54:59 PM »

Just to say I "Solved " this by heat-forming a 350 by 200mm piece of scrap 2mm polycarbonate sheet into a vaguely pent-roof shape, then used 2 10mm - wide 500mm - long cable-ties over the rear frame-tubes to crimp it up above the rear wheel. Finished off by shaping round the rear springs and the too-short OE "Hugger" using a very old (meaning unsafely powerful) hair-dryer, with 2 large friends sat as far back as possible to compress the suspension. Dealer did a double-take on seeing it, looked again, watched while their largest technician bounced the back-end, and said it "Seemed OK"
Phoned Piaggio helpline
(Guessed I was talking to Italy by rate of cost on my next landline bill)
Dealer later fulfilled a couple recall mod.s, FOC, so I guess Piaggio were "content?"
Since my mod. / & before the recall updates, and up to now, no more wet-weather problems, (so far...)
Happy Days
Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: