August 20, 2019, 04:20:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My X10's First Road Trip  (Read 1419 times)
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 138
-Receive: 165

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:08:48 AM »

The Isle of Spetses, Greece 06/2013

2012 Piaggio X10 350ie

While this wasn't the longest ride it did touch on about every road condition out there. It consisted of about 80km of limited access highway, 130km of secondary roads through the mountains and along the coast, and 50km of narrow, serpentine ribbons of asphalt not much more than one lane wide.

The X10 really proved itself on this trip. Cruising speed on the highway was 120kph (72mph) and I could jump up to 140 (84) in seconds. While I did coax the scoot up faster for a brief bit I'd suggest one regard 140 as the top end. I'm about 178cm (5ft 10in) and the air coming off the windshield just slid off the top of my helmet. While it didn't create a physical push the noise was a bit much. So, I'd suggest a little more Plexiglas up front if you're over 170cm just to keep the noise down. Everything else about the highway ride was about as good as it gets. My butt got a bit worn out but I'm an urban rider and not used to spending that much time in the saddle so I've got to think the standard seat isn't too bad.

Through the mountains and by the coast on the secondary roads really put the X10's stability and cornering to the test. There were a few times where I'd gotten into a turn a bit faster than I was comfortable with and it speaks volumes about the scooter's ability to be forgiving in a tight situation. Even on switchbacks and hairpins stability was never an issue. I guess I should also give mention to the Michelin City tires here.

That last 50km was spent riding around a little Greek island on some surprisingly good roads even though they were narrow and the word 'straight' hadn't, yet, entered the language when they were first cut out of the landscape by donkeys drunk on fermented fruit. The average speed was down to 50kph (30mph) where one the wheels' centrifugal force isn't really helping out that much but, still, stability wasn't much of an issue. Things got a bit hairy a couple of times when I met full sized trucks on a couple of those turns but, hay, what's life without a little excitement to raise the heart rate.

Storage space wasn't a problem as this was just an overnight trip but I did bring the photo equipment, electronics, and a couple changes of clothes. The camera, lenses, and tripod all fit, easily, under the seat with plenty of room left over for my jacket. My clothes were strapped to the back seat in an old tank bag left over from my Kawasaki days and I only had the netbook and e-reader in the top box to keep the CG as low as possible. As it turned out, I don't think all that worry about CG was warranted but better safe than sorry.

On the trip out I kept the ECO button in the off position. I logged 246km and got 26.10kpl (59mpg). On the return leg I put the ECO button in the on position, logged 233km, and got 23.75kpl (55,9mpg). Now, to be strictly honest, the highway ride back was a bit faster than the trip out but, as far as I can tell, in town or on the highway the ECO setting is more trouble than it's worth! The only real difference I've seen is the lack of engine response with the ECO engaged and, I'd rather have that than any supposed fuel economy that may be gained. If the fuel consumption seems a bit low you might want to factor in that the scoot weighs in at just over 200kg, I'm pushing 120kg (that's a bit over 700lbs), and then all the traveling paraphernalia that I was carrying.

I've mentioned the uselessness of the information presented on the LED in the urban setting and you may now add those comments while on the highway. I was, constantly, being advised that I could travel, yet, another 450km when I had of a tank of gas left and that is just ridiculous! Once you've noticed the time, temperature and distance traveled what you have left is, at best, trivia and, at worse just a distraction. At the risk of being accused of harping an a subject, where's the large numbered, digital speedometer that should be on that screen?

Overall I'm seriously impressed with the X10's performance on this trip. It must be mentioned that when I got home and looked over my bug-splattered machine I noticed that I'd put a new pattern on my tires from going around all those curves. The only thing I would suggest is a bit more windshield for those of us who stand 170cm and above if you're going to do a lot of highway riding. 

__
Don
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 351
-Receive: 817

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:05:49 PM »

Great report, Don.  Beautiful scenery.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: