October 20, 2019, 03:09:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Piaggio X10 @ 2500k/m  (Read 4204 times)
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 140
-Receive: 172

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« on: April 18, 2013, 04:35:13 PM »

1500 Miles on My Piaggio X10

Let me start by introducing myself: I bought my first motorcycle in 1964, I've been riding in Athens, Greece for almost thirty years now, bought my first maxi-scooter (SYM GTS 250i) in June of '08, and moved up to the X10 in November of 2012. I'm not a sport rider and 90% of riding is urban: the scooter is a means of transportation but it's riding is still more fun that sitting in a car. (Yup, got one of those too.)  My X10 is the 350 Executive model. I chose this one over the 500 because I am an urban rider and just didn't need to pay for more insurance and road tax.

So, let me give you the bottom line up front: I really like the X10 and think it is a great scooter. It's sure footed, rides well, is fairly economical, plenty quick through traffic, and is a fine piece of eye-candy. But, while I'm happy with the X10 I'm not happy with Piaggio! I truly think they've made some poor decisions that detract from the overall appeal of the X10 but I'd like you to keep all the good points in mind while I continue on with my list of complaints and suggestions.

Parts and after market goodies seem to be hard to come by and slow to appear. The 50 liter top box took almost a month even though the scooter was ordered out of Italy. I wanted a second programmable key that took nine weeks to make it across the water, and a new set of rear shocks took a week. I've wanted to have a look at the gel seat but, it seems, it's an order only items and I'm not about to spend 250 for another pig in a poke.

There are three things that, in my opinion, are really damning of Piaggio. The wheels came equipped with straight air valves that were so hidden behind the disks that I had to have them changed out for 90 valves before I could even check the pressure at filling stations. (This seems to be an industry standard but that's no excuse.) The dash board's most visible feature is the large LED display that will let me know how much farther I can ride before I have to get off and push or how many kilometers I'm getting per liter or how many volts are going back into the battery but, as this is an urban machine none of these values mean a thing as they change from stop light to stop light. There are a few other items of info available but nowhere is your current speed displayed on the screen! To see that you've got to tear your eyes away from the LED and find the analog dial. And, finally, there is a lot of unused real estate on the back of the scooter that could have held some more lighting or even a reflective surface or two. The tail lights all but get lost in the daylight on my white ride. These items all go to safety and really shouldn't have been ignored when the X10 was on the drawing board.

Pros.....
** 24.5Kw (32.8Hp) - plenty of get-up & go for urban riding (These numbers are on my title so....)
** It's big - legs fit well
** It's purrdy!
** It's rides well - smooth ride in town and on the highway
** Pretty good tires straight from the factory - Michelin City's
** Good, loud horn. Sounds much like a car horn.

Cons.....
** The 350 is only a 330 - just a bit of misrepresentation, IMHO.
** Digital display with no useful info - none of the data displayed in large text is useful during urban riding.
** Hidden key way - Hard to locate in the dark or without looking.
** The lower compartment vs a key chain makes its use difficult
** Invisible buttons - 5 buttons under the handlebars can't be seen in the dark at all.
** Snap-together parts don't stay together - one constantly has to realign faring parts that come unsnapped
** Cheap mirrors - won't hold adjustments, collect water, & show a distorted image
** Wide rear seat - the wife says it could be a bit narrower for a more comfortable ride
** Narrow rear floorboards - an extra inch or two would have provided better footing for the back-seat rider
** Straight air valves - had to replace them with 90 valves just to be able to check & service the air pressure
** Very poor rear lighting - two thin rectangles of red light with plenty of unused real estate
** No place to hook bungee cords

The 50ltr top box

Pros.....
** It blends well with the X10 styling
** It's purrdy!
** Well constructed
** Built in back rest

Cons.....
** It's expensive! 470
** The latch system requires 5 separate steps to open the case - It almost requires two hands.
** The latch system requires 4 separate steps to close the case - It can be done with one hand now that they're empty
** It weighs 7kg
** It's only rated up to 8kg
** No reflective surfaces
** Not ready for lighting

__
Don
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 356
-Receive: 828

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »

Nice report! Thanks, Don.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 394
-Receive: 199

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »

Nice write up! Thanks for taking the time & sharing that with us. Thats an awful lot of cons. Heck I don't think I could find that many cons in all 3 of our scoots put together. 

Overall are you happy with the scoot?

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »

@SilverBullet: Yes, the scoot is just fine but if they're going to hang "Exec" onto the model name then I fully expect to get my money's worth. All but 3 of the "Cons" are, simply, Piaggio being cheap and I'd not expect that from anybody that's been in the business for that long!

All that said, if someone offered me €6,200 today I'd take the €500 hit and move onto something else simple to get away from Piaggio. (Note lack of parts.)
ferret
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 10

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:16:56 AM »

Expat it's a shame you appear to have an issue getting parts piaggio have been great so far supplying parts to my uk dealer.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 05:45:52 PM »

It may be a regional thing. Greece is in the dumps financially and credit to retailers has dried up but that's hardly any real excuse for taking 4 to 9 weeks to get here from Italy.

BTW, what are you riding?
ferret
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 10

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 07:55:46 PM »

Aprilia srv 850 (piaggio) .
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda 70 Passport, Yamaha 185 Exciter, Yamaha 250 Exciter, Kawasaki 550LTD, Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, Yamaha Virago 1100

Thank You
-Given: 31
-Receive: 11

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »

It may be a regional thing. Greece is in the dumps financially and credit to retailers has dried up but that's hardly any real excuse for taking 4 to 9 weeks to get here from Italy.

If they told me that, I think i'd get the address of the place and ride there myself and get it.

As far as your first con goes, almost all motorbikes and scooters misrepresent their engine size and the misrepresentation is almost always in favour of the maker. In other words, the vast majority of scooter/motorbike engines are slightly smaller than what they claim.

Bitch please
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 03:22:09 PM »

I was first told "3 to 5 days". Which is the time it would have taken to get it delivered from the Greek warehouse.

The X10 125 has a displacement of 124cc, the X10 500 has a displacement of  492cc, and the "350" is only 330cc. Quite a bit more than the other two.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: