June 20, 2019, 03:58:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 65   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: post a pic  (Read 169392 times)
davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1967 Yamaha 305, 2007 Piaggio X9 500, 2007 Ninja 500R, 2003 SV650

Thank You
-Given: 121
-Receive: 118

2003 SV 650

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 10:24:22 PM »

fishing boat in the harbour on Lake Nipigon at Red Rock
no work there either so you can buy a house, loosely described as a "fixer upper" for under 25K

It's amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets credit.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 06:02:39 AM »

Between 2005 and 2009 I was semi-retired and living half the year in Asia, mostly Thailand.  During that time I would rent either a Yamaha Nuovo (135cc scooter) or Honda Airblade (125cc Honda competitior) for about $100.00 a month.  They could go a little over 100 KPH 2up, 40 Kilo friend as passenger.  There would be days that I spent adventuring on the bike.  Here are a few pics.

gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You

Email
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 06:44:39 AM »

Here are a few more!

A friend above and his friend but also a picture of the red Yamaha Nuovo.

gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 06:50:15 AM »

One of the things about riding in Thailand is that everyone wears shorts, sandals, T-Shirts, and these lousy helmets that wouldn't protect you from a whiffle ball.  It's not so bad on a bike like the red Nuovo going 25MPH on a street where most of the traffic is motor scooters, but on an expressway going 65 MPH an accident is sure death.  One saving grace is that the expressways have a special lane that's only for motor scooters.  Also the traffic drives on the other side Englsh style.
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 28

Email
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 06:57:50 AM »

I'm fond of  Thailand.  I'm really fond  of  their  food.  I took a vacation there about 15 years ago.  Somewhere I have a pic of me riding an elephant somewhere out west of Bangkok.  All things considered,  I'd prefer a motorcycle - faster, more comfortable, and they come in better colors.

It's the only country I've visited any length of time with left-hand traffic.  The most difficult thing I found was being a pedestrian, and remembering not to step off the curb looking the wrong way for traffic.

Thanks for the pix.  I really love that place.

Black '08 Exec named Caracal: Black (with pink trim) is the new fastest color.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 07:43:07 AM »

I love the food, the scooters, the people, foot massage, tailors, weather, and the slow life style.  One of the advantages of renting a scooter is that you can go off on adventures to the countryside where elephants are walking on the beach.  I have this picture of two older ladies on a beach who saw me and wanted to take my picture because they had rarely seen a caucasian tourist.  There are a few pictures in there of a Philippine Island named Boracay.  It's a wonderful island that's only eight miles by two miles with white sand beaches all around it and a mountain in the middle.  You can rent a scooter, ATV, or a catamaran with an owner to sail it for you.  Lobster, jumbo shrip or crab can be bought in a nice restaurant for fifty cents an ounce with garlic butter and garlic rice or from the catamaran owners for five dollars for a big bucket.  Also the picture of the elephant is on the main land side of where there is an island called Koh Samet, back in Thailand.  You can park the scooter, take a ferry for forty five minutes to the island and rent another scooter on the island for five dollars a day and explore the island.  The road is mostly twisties and hills around the island with sand and dirt ruts.  It's the only place I ever went down on a scooter in Asia.  The road was going down hill and there was a sand bog at the bottom.  I couldn't stop before my wheels were in sand ten inches deep.  I dropped the bike at about six or seven MPH and would have ended up standing but for the fact that I had a lady friend on the back and by going down I made sure that I didn't nail her with a foot.  A 250 pound American accidently kicking a 90 pound Thai lady could be bad, so it was better to take the dive.  The next day I was pretty sore.  You have to add to it that I drove the bike two hundred miles that day, spent an hour and a half or more on ferry boats, swam on an empty beach, ate dinner back in the resort area at a fine restaurant, and spent the later evening listening to 60s, 70s, music from a live band at a small out door club fifty feet off the beach.  It makes me wonder why I'm back in midwest America.  I guess the answer to that is money and responsibilities.  BTW that day cost me $3.00 scooter rental, $8.00 gasoline, $5.00 second scooter rental, $10.00 lunch for two, $30.00 resort hotel rental with free breakfast, $20.00 fine dining dinner, $12.00 one hour massage $6.00 each for myself and lady friend, and $20.00 drinks 10:30 to 1:00 AM beach music bar.  Total $108.00, in the USA I can't begin to contemplate the costs of a day like that.  But a day like that costs a twenty plus hour air trip in each direction and not working for the time frame needed to go around the world.
midlifecrisis
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 01:31:31 PM »

Also the traffic drives on the other side English style.

You mean the correct side of the road  :D
midlifecrisis
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 02:09:37 PM »

Some of these may look familiar to our Canadian friends, that's if they are in the 80's  :D

No sure if this station is still there now

My Dad is standing second from the left

msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 188
-Receive: 219

generic

Email
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 02:48:50 PM »

That's some nifty ole pictures, MLC! Some really took that cocked hat to extremes and the guy sitting on the ground looks like he woke with a hangover with his money and watch missing.

If you stand for anything, you have fallen for something.
midlifecrisis
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2010, 03:12:39 PM »

That's some nifty ole pictures, MLC! Some really took that cocked hat to extremes and the guy sitting on the ground looks like he woke with a hangover with his money and watch missing.

Indeed Phil, we actually think he looks like our Mr Bean. http://www.mrbean.co.uk/uk/   

If we didn't know better he could be on a mobile 'phone.....
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 224
-Receive: 362

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2010, 03:33:19 PM »

Beautiful photos gurock, thanks for posting.

What kind of plane is that in the last photo mlc?

Practicing Normite.
midlifecrisis
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »

Dan, I'll be blowed if i can remember, a friend on another forum told me, but the old grey matter has let me down on this occasion.

I am guessing that someone else on here will tell us 
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 169

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »

If a PBY Catalina.  It was an amphibious float plane used for sea patrol and sub hunting in WWII.  It was designed and built by the Consolidated Aircraft Company.  One of the most famous squadrons that flew them was the Black Cats who painted their planes flat black and attacked Japanese ships at night. 

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 143,540 miles
06 Burgman 400, 49,722 miles
midlifecrisis
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2010, 03:57:26 PM »

If a PBY Catalina.  It was an amphibious float plane used for sea patrol and sub hunting in WWII.  It was designed and built by the Consolidated Aircraft Company.  One of the most famous squadrons that flew them was the Black Cats who painted their planes flat black and attacked Japanese ships at night. 

Thanks Craig I knew someone would know  . My Dad was instructing the C.A.F during and just after the WWII.
davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

2003 SV 650

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2010, 04:01:08 PM »

great photos all
many of the old train stations were allowed to decay and torn down but some were moved and restored
that one appears to be in Shediac, NB
This is a grab from the link included,
"Shediac is also connected with air transportation. The first Transatlantic airmail sent to Lancashire, England was stamped at the Shediac Post Office on June 24th,1939. Flights went from Shediac to Foynes, Eire. Prior to that, in July of 1933, the first air squadron left Italy to cross the Atlantic Ocean. Twenty-five (25) hydroplanes under the command of General Italo Balbo safely landed on the calm waters of Shediac Bay. The first commercial flights from North America to Europe departed from the Shediac terminal Pan American Airways seaplanes beginning on July 19th, 1937. The "clipper" stopped in Shediac one a week to refuel. The break out of World War II in September of 1939 saw the decline of the hydroplanes and as a result of this, the Shediac terminal shut down its operations. During the war, the terminal was used by small military planes of the Canadian Government."
http://www.shediac.org/history.cfm
According to it the town purchased the train station and it was restored.
midlifecrisis
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2010, 04:31:26 PM »

Great follow on Dave, many thanks.

I think they built all the station house to look the same, this one is still being used I think in Sackville which is only about 30 miles away.

Now if you read about Sackville it has ties with Yorkshire where I live  :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sackville,_New_Brunswick

I just love finding out about places, apologies if I get carried away 

davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

2003 SV 650

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »

they did all look somewhat alike but there are variations on the theme
great old places and I remember them fondly
will take a picture of the one at Havelock and post it one day
Daboo
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2010, 03:03:49 AM »

Here are a couple of my favorites from a trip I made with my youngest daughter to the North Cascades National Park.  We drove on 25 miles of dirt road to get to this place.  The view was so amazing, I had to pull over to get a picture.

This was at one of the lakes we hiked into.

These next two photos are of a mountain goat that calmly walked across the trail, then looked down at us for a moment before moving across the hillside and rocks with more ease than one of us getting up from our chair to grab the TV remote from across the room.

Before this, I'd only seen mountain goats from across a valley a mile away.

Chris
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 03:51:05 AM »

Omigosh, those rail station photos reminded me of a painting I did a long long time ago in a life far far away, when I was just starting to try to use watercolor.  I did it from a picture.  I'd never seen a train depot like that, and maybe now I know where it originated:

The painting has been in my closet unframed for years.  It's pretty technically terrible, but it has some charms, maybe I'll frame it and hang it somewhere - um - out of the way 

And, if you wondered, I put it on a windy rainy cold late spring day somewhere in Texas.
midlifecrisis
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2010, 10:20:16 AM »

Robin, did you carry on painting?

I think you do yourself an injustice there, looks fine to me 
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 01:39:21 PM »

Thank you,  Yes, for about five years, then found something else.  That seems to be how my pass times go.
midlifecrisis
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2010, 01:42:18 PM »

Thank you,  Yes, for about five years, then found something else.  That seems to be how my pass times go.

Sounds about right for me, "you have too many hobbies Dad" my son keeps telling me.

I just hope I don't go off wanting to move to a big scooter over the winter period 
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 328
-Receive: 811

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2010, 01:45:59 PM »

I think it is great Robin... technically terrible?  I don't see that... I think it rocks!  Looks like a fun place to explore!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »

I just hope I don't go off wanting to move to a big scooter over the winter period 

I always would like to go back to prior ones.  I recently looked at replacing my dried up paints, but didn't.  I still subscribe to the audition notices, but never audition because the rehearsals would eat in to riding time.  And, the most expensive one ever, when I see an airplane go by, or ride by an airport, I want to do that again, but that one is just way too time consuming.
midlifecrisis
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2010, 02:04:14 PM »

I always would like to go back to prior ones.  I recently looked at replacing my dried up paints, but didn't.  I still subscribe to the audition notices, but never audition because the rehearsals would eat in to riding time.  And, the most expensive one ever, when I see an airplane go by, or ride by an airport, I want to do that again, but that one is just way too time consuming.

I guess they will always be there waiting for me to take them up again.

Amateur Radio (anti social)
Watching Soccer (anti social)
Golf (Anti social)
Motorcycling (anti social-ish)
Photography, well I always have my camera with me, so on going.
Car Rallying (definitely anti-social)

Having said that Julie married me for ME not my hobbies  :D
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 328
-Receive: 811

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2010, 02:14:27 PM »

..and Julie is a very nice social hobby
RASZ
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2010, 02:20:52 PM »

Omigosh, those rail station photos reminded me of a painting I did a long long time ago in a life far far away, when I was just starting to try to use watercolor.  I did it from a picture.  I'd never seen a train depot like that, and maybe now I know where it originated:

The painting has been in my closet unframed for years.  It's pretty technically terrible, but it has some charms, maybe I'll frame it and hang it somewhere - um - out of the way 

And, if you wondered, I put it on a windy rainy cold late spring day somewhere in Texas.

Robin, you are truly an amazing person with constant surprises.
midlifecrisis
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2010, 03:12:09 PM »

..and Julie is a very nice social hobby

Oh yes, without a doubt....
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2010, 03:21:27 PM »

Hmmm.  For me, riding is a largely social thing.  Several of us even have radios to chat along the way.

And, I found car rallying also social.  During the activity you're in the car with another person, and there's the time at the start, and more importantly the beer time at the end, with all the other drivers and co-drivers.  Autocrossing was even more so.  While competing you're (usually) solo in the car, but 99% of the time you're watching and chatting with the other drivers, most of whom were quite delightful people - just as with all activities.

Flying, though, now that was a mostly lonely activity.  Either in the airplane by myself, or in the hangar working on it, again by myself.  Good thing I'm a natural loner, huh?   
midlifecrisis
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »

Hmmm.  For me, riding is a largely social thing.  Several of us even have radios to chat along the way.

And, I found car rallying also social.  During the activity you're in the car with another person, and there's the time at the start, and more importantly the beer time at the end, with all the other drivers and co-drivers.  Autocrossing was even more so.  While competing you're (usually) solo in the car, but 99% of the time you're watching and chatting with the other drivers, most of whom were quite delightful people - just as with all activities.

Flying, though, now that was a mostly lonely activity.  Either in the airplane by myself, or in the hangar working on it, again by myself.  Good thing I'm a natural loner, huh?   

Robin it depends how you look at it, anti-social as for the partner, not for meeting other people.

I have had some great fun rallying, spending days on end with my friends in the forests of the UK, OH just remembered that was the downfall of my first marriage  , but not looking back 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 65   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: