June 18, 2019, 05:05:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 65   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: post a pic  (Read 169326 times)
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 28

Email
« Reply #1740 on: May 09, 2016, 05:24:33 PM »

Robin, what great pictures!  I love going in abandoned buildings!

Unfortunately we weren't able to go in.  For a nominal fee of only $1,000, we could have 

I shot those inside images through holes in the plywood that boards up the doors and windows.  I went over the fence to get the pool images, and the cactus roof, but it took only about five minutes for the police to show up and end that little photo-walk-around.  No problem though, I already had my images in the camera.  Too bad for the slower shooters

Black '08 Exec named Caracal: Black (with pink trim) is the new fastest color.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 249

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #1741 on: May 11, 2016, 03:28:05 AM »

I went with the photo club to Mineral Wells yesterday, to the old Baker Hotel.  The Baker opened in November 1929 and, despite that really unfortunate timing, was a huge success.  It was the height of opulent luxury in the early '30's, attracting the rich and famous.  It has been closed since 1963.  There are  plans to revive it starting next year, but this is not the first time plans were made.  We'll see...

I went through a hole in the fence, and was run out by the police, along with several other photographic scofflaws.  I shot through a hole in the plywood covering the front door to get the grand lobby.

http://tinyurl.com/hd322yn

I was stationed at Ft. Wolters at Mineral Wells in 1968 when I was going through helicopter flight training for the Army.  After my first Vietnam tour I was there again as a flight instructor.  Never spent much time in town though.  Then about 5 years ago we went through Mineral Wells on our way to Brenham, Tx to bring our grandson his car.  It didn't look much like I remember it, which isn't much after 40+ years.

Greg
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1742 on: May 11, 2016, 03:33:17 AM »

I was stationed at Ft. Wolters at Mineral Wells in 1968 when I was going through helicopter flight training for the Army.  After my first Vietnam tour I was there again as a flight instructor.  Never spent much time in town though.  Then about 5 years ago we went through Mineral Wells on our way to Brenham, Tx to bring our grandson his car.  It didn't look much like I remember it, which isn't much after 40+ years.

It's pretty not-impressive, it's more a ghost of the past right now.  That image of the pool was perhaps misleading.  It's not something I would want to swim in.  But that slider turtle in the other image lives in that pool.

Still, there is an investment company planning to revive it starting next year.  We'll see... it's not the first plan for the old place, all of which previously have gone nowhere.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1743 on: May 11, 2016, 05:14:36 AM »

It's pretty not-impressive, it's more a ghost of the past right now.  That image of the pool was perhaps misleading.  It's not something I would want to swim in.  But that slider turtle in the other image lives in that pool.

Still, there is an investment company planning to revive it starting next year.  We'll see... it's not the first plan for the old place, all of which previously have gone nowhere.

Based on your pics, it will take a tidy sum of money to fix that place up.  It was probably pretty grand in its day.  Knteresting subject, though.  There is beauty in its ugliness.
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1744 on: May 11, 2016, 05:19:38 AM »

There is beauty in its ugliness.

Exactly.  That's why we were there.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1745 on: May 17, 2016, 04:05:48 AM »

Yesterday we took advantage of the beautiful day and went for a drive up the Glenn Hwy to have lunch at Sheep Mountain Lodge, about 75 miles from our house.  Along the way we stopped to take some pics of one of my favorite subject, the Chugach Mountains.  The light was tricky and the amount of light reflected of the Matanuska Glacier is incredible.  I also took some pics of PeggySuz's African Violet.  I thought this one was interesting.  Now that I no longer have the full cast on my arm, but just a plastic thumb support, I can finally start using my new camera without too much difficulty.

This is a view of the Matanuska Glacier.  The black on the left is glacial moraine, which is dirt and rocks scraped up by the moving ice and gets deposited on the edges of the glacier.  There is actually forest growing on the moraine.

This is a view looking down at Long Lake, at mile 86, with King Mountain in the background.

I liked this shot of the African Violet blossom, even with the shadow from the leaf.  I thought it was kind of unique.

All this shot were taken with the Nikon D7200 and the Nikon 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens.  It seems to be pretty sharp without much distortion.
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1746 on: May 17, 2016, 05:01:16 AM »

Paradise, through a sharp lens and good camera.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1747 on: May 17, 2016, 06:02:38 AM »

Paradise, through a sharp lens and good camera.

Yeah, the roads up here aren't that much to write home about.  Not particularly challenging.  But it's hard to beat the scenery.

It's been so long since I've used a DSLR camera that it's being a bit of a learning curve for me.  I've been used to mirrorless cameras where I can see right on the rear screen or EVF how the image changes with changes in the exposure setting.  With a mirrorless, like the Sony A6000 I had, I can create an effect right in the camera and see what's happening.  With the DSLR I just have to trust the camera.  I'm having a hard  time with that, but all it takes is practice, practice, practice.  eventually I'll get the hang of it as I learn the camera and how it works.  Once I get all the junk shed from my right hand, it'll be fun to get out there and really play with it.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 133
-Receive: 162

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #1748 on: May 17, 2016, 06:37:58 AM »

Each 'hair' on the leaf is visible so sharpness seems to be OK. 

If you're not getting the same results in the image that you're seeing in the viewfinder then are you correcting your vision in the camera? If so you can play with the "diopter adjustment control". Just remember where you started so you can put it back. Have you tried the Live View yet?

__
Don
The Scootist
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 31

Ride to Mount Evans - Elevation 14,000+ ft amsl

Email
« Reply #1749 on: May 17, 2016, 03:36:46 PM »

Great pictures Greg!  When I visited Alaska in the mid 1980's I was awestruck by the scenery along the Glen Highway.  The Chugach range start at sea level and top out at only about 7,000 feet, but you see the entire mountain, so they are amazing.  I can't believe how far the Matanuska Glacier has receded.  It was right up to the end of the valley when I visited.  Thanks for sharing your drive.

Red 2009 Silverwing.  Tall Givi Wind screen, Givi topcase, Leo Vince 4-Road exhaust, Superbrite head lamp, PIAA Driving lights, mirror extenders, power commander with custom high altitude map, K&N air filter/drilled air box, HyperPro springs, 22g Dr Pulley Sliders, Bi-valent Flux capacitor.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1750 on: May 17, 2016, 05:23:01 PM »

Great pictures Greg!  When I visited Alaska in the mid 1980's I was awestruck by the scenery along the Glen Highway.  The Chugach range start at sea level and top out at only about 7,000 feet, but you see the entire mountain, so they are amazing.  I can't believe how far the Matanuska Glacier has receded.  It was right up to the end of the valley when I visited.  Thanks for sharing your drive.

Thanks.  The unique thing about the Glenn Hwy drive is that the scenery never looks the same each time, despite the fact that the landscape is always the same.  You're right, the Chugach's are not the tallest mountain range, however, just behind those mountains in the pictures, there are a couple over 10,000 feet, and on one that is just over 13,000.  It's just too bad that it's impossible to build a road in there.  It would be spectacular.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1751 on: May 17, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »

Each 'hair' on the leaf is visible so sharpness seems to be OK. 

If you're not getting the same results in the image that you're seeing in the viewfinder then are you correcting your vision in the camera? If so you can play with the "diopter adjustment control". Just remember where you started so you can put it back. Have you tried the Live View yet?

The diopter is set where it needs to be.  Here's the  issue, if, in fact, it is an issue and not just a different way of doing things:  With a mirrorless camera, you can see every change you make with the camera controls, each move of the aperture ring, exposure compensation dial, or white balance.  I believe that's because  both the EVF and LCD panel give the photographer an image from what amounts to a tiny video camera which visibly shows any change to a displayed image.  With the DSLR, the image one sees is what is bounced off the mirror and through the pentaprism to the viewfinder, thus no visible change to exposure settings.  The same goes for the live view image, except that the image seen on the screen comes straight off the sensor, but still, no visible changes seen.  For me, I just have to learn to trust the camera, and if that doesn't happen fairly soon, I may revert to mirrorless again.  But I do like this Nikon.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #1752 on: May 17, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »

It's my wife's fault.
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1753 on: May 17, 2016, 06:54:12 PM »

It's my wife's fault.

Nice hair
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1754 on: May 17, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »

With a mirrorless camera, you can see every change you make

One thing you can do is press the depth-of-field button on the front - just right of the lens as you look through VF.  It'll stop the aperture down to what the image will be.  Might help some.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1755 on: May 17, 2016, 10:44:46 PM »

With a mirrorless camera, you can see every change you make

One thing you can do is press the depth-of-field button on the front - just right of the lens as you look through VF.  It'll stop the aperture down to what the image will be.  Might help some.

Correct, but all you will see is the change(s) in DOF as the aperture is changed.  What you can't see is how the image actually changes with adjustments to white balance and/or ISO.  As I learn the camera more, I will figure what works for different situations.  Most notably, that will be sunrise/sunset photos and astro photography.  It's fun learning, though.
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1756 on: May 17, 2016, 10:58:44 PM »

Correct, but all you will see is the change(s) in DOF as the aperture is changed.  What you can't see is how the image actually changes with adjustments to white balance and/or ISO.  As I learn the camera more, I will figure what works for different situations.  Most notably, that will be sunrise/sunset photos and astro photography.  It's fun learning, though.

True, just a small help. 

Another thing I've found is that auto white balance is about 99.999% dead on.  On those rare occasions it comes out a little cold I can change it in post-process (photoshop).  Gotta shot raw to get that, though.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1757 on: May 17, 2016, 11:47:30 PM »

True, just a small help. 

Another thing I've found is that auto white balance is about 99.999% dead on.  On those rare occasions it comes out a little cold I can change it in post-process (photoshop).  Gotta shot raw to get that, though.

[/quote]

No, I don't have any issues with white balance either.  It's only changed sometimes when shooting a sunrise or sunset.  Pretty much leaving it on auto white balance works well.  BTW, I could have gone FX with a D610 for a decent price, but I didn't want the expense of having to buy FX lenses, and as it turns out, I am impressed with the DX format of the D7200.  One of the things I will be looking for is a macro lens, and I'll be looking at used.  The Nikkor 105mm macro is a bit spend, new, so I'll be looking at used stuff sometime in the future.  I peruse the local Craigslist all the time, and once in awhile something interesting shows up.
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1758 on: May 18, 2016, 01:12:11 AM »

BTW, I could have gone FX with a D610 for a decent price, but I didn't want the expense of having to buy FX lenses, and as it turns out, I am impressed with the DX format of the D7200.  

There is absolutely nothing wrong with those newer DX Nikons.  While I get better images with the D750, I could have lived my life happy with the D7100.  Anyway, I had been trying to buy only FX lenses, so I ended up only buying one FX replacement, the Nikkor 28-300 replaces the Tamron 16-300.

I had thought I'd save the D7100 as my backup, but I'm being pulled really hard toward having it converted to a 590nm IR.  Whew, get behind me devil
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #1759 on: May 18, 2016, 04:49:34 AM »

Greg, the Sigma Macro got better revies than the nikkor. It's been on sale for $600 but I'm still looking for a used one.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/macro-lenses/105mm-f28-ex-dg-os-hsm-macro
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1760 on: May 18, 2016, 05:49:12 AM »

Greg, the Sigma Macro got better revies than the nikkor. It's been on sale for $600 but I'm still looking for a used one.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/macro-lenses/105mm-f28-ex-dg-os-hsm-macro

Sigma makes good lenses, for sure.  It will be awhile before I spend any money on lenses.  Our summer is so full of things that are going to cost a lot of money that I will. Eed some time to recoup.   I am also thinking that a set of extention tubes can work and cost a lot less than a macro lens.  That's what I used back in my 35mm SLR days.
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1761 on: May 31, 2016, 12:33:06 AM »

I wandered through Fair Park in Dallas today looking for something to shoot.  I found this and thought y'all would enjoy.  It's called "Toy Hauler" 

masscoot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1993 Tomos A35 Top Tank (sold) 1984 Honda Aero NH125 (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 85
-Receive: 100

« Reply #1762 on: May 31, 2016, 01:31:38 AM »

Definitely needed by some here 

Paul

MA-PGR Rider
2003 FSC600D Candy Glory Red, Givi TB19, JCWXL Topbox w/custom leds, ISO grips, LED fog lights, custom 4-way strobes, custom LED marker lights, tailpipe bling, Garmin SP2610, Airhawk, Dr Pulley Sliders 22gx28g, K&N Air Filter, brake light modulator,
masscoot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1993 Tomos A35 Top Tank (sold) 1984 Honda Aero NH125 (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 85
-Receive: 100

« Reply #1763 on: May 31, 2016, 03:01:33 AM »

We have been busy getting the Mountain ready for opening, but I managed to get a few shots.

Bleeding Hearts @ the Autoroad Ticket booth

Found these guys on West Road during morning rounds...I stepped on his traveling companion by accident to get the shot!

Got Mr Red Fox off of Admin rd.  (approx 35 yds away using zoom and the "Live" feature) some brightness post work.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 325
-Receive: 811

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1764 on: May 31, 2016, 03:28:19 AM »

Nice shots, Paul

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #1765 on: May 31, 2016, 05:10:29 AM »

I wandered through Fair Park in Dallas today looking for something to shoot.  I found this and thought y'all would enjoy.  It's called "Toy Hauler" 

Bling! Bling!
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1766 on: May 31, 2016, 08:46:20 AM »

Those are pretty wild.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1767 on: May 31, 2016, 08:48:45 AM »

We have been busy getting the Mountain ready for opening, but I managed to get a few shots.

Bleeding Hearts @ the Autoroad Ticket booth

Found these guys on West Road during morning rounds...I stepped on his traveling companion by accident to get the shot!

Got Mr Red Fox off of Admin rd.  (approx 35 yds away using zoom and the "Live" feature) some brightness post work.

Nice images. I like the bleeding hearts.
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1768 on: May 31, 2016, 01:52:56 PM »

I like the newt, too.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 325
-Receive: 811

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1769 on: June 01, 2016, 01:01:20 AM »

Love the bleeding hearts. The fox looks inquisitive.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 65   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: