October 16, 2019, 07:32:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Camera  (Read 69 times)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 63
-Receive: 253

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« on: October 13, 2019, 12:48:55 PM »

Prior to going on our cruise, I spent a great deal of time trying to decide what camera to take along.  In the end, I opted out of taking the Sony A6300 and the three lensesótoo much to juggle and lug around.  I also decided against the Nikon P900.  Itís a great camera, but too big and bulky.  Ultimately, I bit the bullet and bought the new Sony RX100 vii.  Itís a pocket sized compact camera with a 1Ē type sensor and zooms from 24-200mm.  In the end, while this was an expensive camera, it was worth it.  All the photos I posted in the general topics section were taken with the RX100 vii.  I have no regrets buying this camera, and it could become my only camera.  It was certainly convenient, and it produced very nice images.

I also took some photos with my iPhone 8 Plus, and, surprisingly, it produced some pretty good photos, as well.  There were times when it was just handier at the moment.  In the end, both served me well in the picture taking department on this cruise, and the Sony RX100vii certainly convinced me that dynamite does come in small packages.

Greg
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 139
-Receive: 170

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 04:07:38 PM »

That little number looks VERY interesting! DPReview likes it too!

__
Don
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 128
-Receive: 187

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 07:30:00 PM »

I go back and forth on whether to use just my phone as my camera, or carry a separate camera when traveling. Right now, just the cell phone, but with a cruise coming up in January, I'll reconsider.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 139
-Receive: 170

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 06:08:22 AM »

I go back and forth on whether to use just my phone as my camera, or carry a separate camera when traveling. Right now, just the cell phone, but with a cruise coming up in January, I'll reconsider.

It's taken me so time but I'm starting to see the advantages of the camera on my Galaxy A50. 1st of all it takes a more than decent photo, much better, in fact, than the old Kodak Instamatics (et al) and exactly fill that niche. A handy little camera that is always at hand.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 63
-Receive: 253

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 01:18:03 PM »

I take a lot of photos with my iPhone 8Plus, but there are just times when an actual camera is needed, such as when I need to zoom on on something.  The zoom in a cellphone camera is a purely digital zoom, so the imaged immediately begins to degrade as you zoom.  And it doesnít zoom far enough.  However, for general shooting, grabbing quick shots, it is hard to beat the cellphone camera.  I took a few pretty nice ones while on the cruise.

I think my main motivation for getting the small camera is to ďreduce the load,Ē going lighter, as it were.  As an example, the RX100 VII has pretty much everything my Sony A6300 has, and does pretty much everything the A6300 can do, but in a smaller, more compact package, with no need to swap out lenses.  To me, itís the complete system all rolled into one.  And so far, Iím liking it.  My only limitation, as I see it, is when it comes to cropping images, and the smaller sensor wonít allow a ton of cropping.  Thatís where the 35mm size sensor in a full frame digital camera shines.  But then, thereís all that weight and bulk.  Anyway, Iím happy with this new camera, and I doubt there will be anymore new ones in the foreseeable future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: