December 15, 2017, 02:19:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GPS....what to get?  (Read 2557 times)
Barb
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Kymco Grand Vista 250(sold), Piaggio MP3 500(sold), 2007 650 Burgman

Thank You
-Given: 24
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »

I tried to search and didn't get very far with it so I will ask here.  I am looking for a GPS unit for my scoot.  I can't afford a motorcycle GPS so a car GPS will do.  This is what I am looking for ...... 
1 - Free lifetime maps and traffic
2 - lane assist
3 - head phone jack/ aux speaker jack
4 - refurbished ok

would like it to be able to hear it through the headset of a scala Q2 but not sure if that is possible.  Any comments or helpful information most welcomed.
So far I am loving the Burgman.  Thanks ahead of time for all the help.

MoganDavid
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:45:49 PM »

http://gpstracklog.com/category/auto-gps/garmin-auto-gps
Noth
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2012 Burgman 650; Piaggio MP3 500 (sold May, 2012)

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 2

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 01:09:02 AM »

This is what I have..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TomTom-RIDER-2nd-Edition-US-Canada-Motorcycle-GPS-Receiver-/150976987622?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item2326ee01e6
Comes with handlebar mount and scala bluetooth headset.. worksgreat..

Finding a new way home from work every day ...
Barb
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Kymco Grand Vista 250(sold), Piaggio MP3 500(sold), 2007 650 Burgman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »

Thanks guys for the information.  Will definately do more research.
bkg123
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 08:06:26 PM »

I picked up a garmin nuvi 50lm (lifetime maps) for $119 last year. Use it on the bike and in the car. Not weatherproof but works great around town.
ChandlerScoot
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 96
-Receive: 21

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 04:48:21 AM »

I have the Nuvi 40LM of which I paid about $100 from Best Buy. I bought a Ram Mount and installed it with a hardwire (key turns unit on and off) on Marie's bike. We seldom rely on listening to it, but instead glance at it to get an idea of where we are going.

Simon
2009 Kymco 500Ri
Barb
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »

Those are awesome scoots.  How do you like you Kymco 500i?  I had a Kymco Grand Vista and really liked it but here in Bakersfield people drive insanely and don't get me started on the road conditions here...lol.  My GV didn't like the roads and so I got a burgman for speed and the roads.  It's been a very good bike.  Was it hard to hard wire the unit to the bike?  I am a noob when it comes to working on my bike but I am determined to learn.
ChandlerScoot
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 02:07:23 AM »

Barb, I love both bikes. The Kymco has the power to confidently handle the highways here. People are typically cruising around 75-85 and I never worry since the bike can still pull away until about 96. The Morphous is my wife's bike as it is very low to the ground and she's short. One disadvantage to the Kymco over the yamaha is the "thumpiness" of the engine whereas the Morphous is silky smooth.
The GPS was not hard to wire up and in fact, you will need to buy a "hardwire" kit for whatever gps you buy. I connected the leads to the headlight circuit as it is always on when the engine is running. I googled and googled until I found what I needed!
Good luck to you and be safe
Barb
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »

Is it better to have it hardwired to the bike?  Can you still remove it?  Thinking this is going to get so confusing for an old woman. LOL
JK.  Still looking because I haven't decided yet.  There aren't many that have headphone jacks.  I think it would be easier to listen to the directions than take your eyes off the road.  Thanks for answering all these questions.
Barb
ChandlerScoot
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 06:28:48 PM »

You can remove it as the hardwired cable has a standard usb/micro usb connector that plugs into the gps. I never remove mine, but then again, the bikes stay indoors and out of "bad" areas.
The cigarette lighter plug could be your option if you do not mind seeing the wire draped around the bike.
No worries on the questions
Burgi
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Triumph Bonneville, SYM HD200, BMW R1200RT & K1600 GTL

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 14

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 12:50:29 AM »

I use an old Garmin 750 on a RAM mount. It has a headphone jack so I can plug earbuds into it. I also have a Scala Q2 which I use to communicate with my husband. The 750 has a media player so with the setup I have I can hear music, the GPS breaks in for directions but I can still talk to him as necessary. Cigarette lighter type plug in the "glove" compartment. I've never had any trouble seeing it. It is a very simple setup (anyone could rig it  :D ) and the unit can be picked up on EBay dirt cheap.
On the negative it doesn't have free lifetime maps or traffic. So far I have no issues though. I have used it all over the country and never had any problems with the maps. As far as traffic, I ride in LA. There will always be traffic, a huge reason to ride is so I can get through it. 
Barb
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 05:37:44 AM »

Alrighty, Thank you all for the information on the different GPS units.  I decided to get a Garmin Nuvi 765T  for 96. on ebay.  It has all the cords and a mount.  Burgi thank you for that information on the cigarette lighter in the glove box.   My question to you is ...... when plugging into the glove box does the wiring interfere with it closing?  Thanks for the replies everyone.
MoganDavid
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 06:43:31 AM »

You might need to notch the edge of the door a little.
Burgi
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Triumph Bonneville, SYM HD200, BMW R1200RT & K1600 GTL

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 14

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 07:15:27 AM »

I have a 400 and I can snake the cable down around the hinge to get it out but I can't say that would work on the 650. Using a dremel or a drill you could easily make a bit of an opening for it if need be.
Also you may need to get an adapter for the cigarette plug. The 400 doesn't have space for the cable coming out the rear, you need one coming out the side so it is shorter. I got a 3 way adapter so I get the added benefit of charging my phone if I need it.
Why Suzuki didn't leave enough space for a typical plug I can't imagine.
Ejjt
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2008 650AN

Thank You
-Given: 0

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »

Grarmin life time is not lifetime.   Their lifetime is 3 years, I believe.  My son gave me one that was 5 years old, works great.  Went to update it and the cost of updating was more than it was worth.  Confused so I read the fine print.  3 years is there lifetime,  with that unit.  Unhappy hey it works good for me.
Joe
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 45

Email
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 12:01:10 AM »

If you get a Garmin, the models that end with an odd number have programmable routes.
If the model ends with an even number, it will only show you the fastest or shortest route.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: