October 20, 2019, 12:57:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shoot'n sports  (Read 48878 times)
John Backlund
« on: October 28, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »

Without getting too specific, I've been getting back into some casual non-hunting shooting sports. It's something I did years ago, but generally lost interest in a decade or two passed. It started again with a few irresistable pawn shop bargains several months back, and kind of took off from there.
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2005 Burgman 400; 2003 VTX 1300

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 203

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »

Are you partial to handguns or rifles?  I have not participated in organized activities but enjoy both types.
John Backlund
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »

Both, but I'm a bit amazed at the price of ammunition these days, it seems to have at least doubled since I last paid any attention to it. Items that cost $13 for a box of fifty are now $35. The expense takes a lot of the 'casual-ness' out of it. 'Bang, bang, bang'= fifty cents, fifty cents, fifty cents. An hour of that and your feeling a bit tapped.

I'm not involved in any organized events either, though I have some friends who are huge into the cowboy action thing. I'm not much of a costume wearer so tend to avoid that sort of stuff, though they sure seem to have fun doing it.

I'm a casual can-popper.
covert
Just Looking
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Fondly remembered: PC800 and FJR 1300

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 3

covert@olypen.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 01:06:02 AM »

I ran around shooting IDPA pistol competition until I could not run and duck anymore.  Took up clay target shooting - five stand and sporting clays.  

...age is always advancing and I am fairly sure it's up to no good.
- Jim Butcher
MaxB
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 08:41:36 AM »

I too did some shooting. Trap and skeet, Practical pistol shooting and dabbled in long distance precision shooting.
I too stopped group shooting due to time and cost.

I just go once in a while to keep somewhat proficient. (hitting the paper). hahahaha
i use to reload a lot especially pistol. may still reload some, but  need brass to do that.

cheaper than dirt has good prices on ammo.  cheaperthandirt.com
Especially if you get bulk ammo.

P.S. make sure you dont get corrosive primered ammo. A lot of russian still use them.

MaxB (slower and can't see too good anymore)

covert
Just Looking
Scooter Senior

Thank You

covert@olypen.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:56:25 PM »

Reloading shot shells is another facet of the shooting games. Judging form some friends they enjoy it more than actually shooting.  I load light 12 gauge shells for target shooting.  Somewhat "green"  reusing shot and hulls with biodegradable wads.  Even reuse fired primers in shot bags as rests for rifle and pistol shooters.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 171

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »

If you are just a can-popper then the cheapest way to shoot is to get a good 22.  A brick of 500 22 shells cost less than a box of 50 center fire shells and will pop cans with the best of them.   

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 145,705 miles
06 Burgman 400, 50,473 miles
John Backlund
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 04:40:43 AM »

If you are just a can-popper then the cheapest way to shoot is to get a good 22.  A brick of 500 22 shells cost less than a box of 50 center fire shells and will pop cans with the best of them.    

I'm in the middle of buying several .22 plinkers (currently on layaway), a pair of gently used Rossi M62 'gallery', exposed hammer slide-actions (Winchester M62 clones) I found at one of the local dealers, One for myself, and one for Teresa. I'm also going to add a Ruger 10/22 soon after, the full-stock 'international' version, either in blue finish with laminate stock, or the SS with walnut. To round out the .22's I'll also be buying (another) Ruger 5 inch heavy-barrel MKII ( I'm not too enthused about the current MKIII's so will find a nice 2nd gen pistol. I used one years ago back in Minneapolis for NRA bullseye league shooting.

Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 171

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »

I've got a 10" bull barreled SS MKII.  It's a tack driver although a bit on the heavy side. 
John Backlund
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 06:06:59 PM »

I've got a 10" bull barreled SS MKII.  It's a tack driver although a bit on the heavy side.  

That's a bit long for me, but the two five inch heavy barrel MKII's I've owned in the past were great pistols...they sure were fun to field strip though.

Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 224
-Receive: 363

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 07:25:25 PM »

Growing up, I would go to the range with my Dad at times.  He owned an arsenal of hunting rifles and a few pistols.  I had a good time at target practice, was never really good but enjoyed trying to improve my aim.  Never got into as much as my other brothers but enjoyed the experience.

The last few years I've considered taking up the bow, joining a league or something.  It was pretty popular back in Wisconsin, don't know if it is around Boston.

Practicing Normite.
John Backlund
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:33:26 PM »

The last few years I've considered taking up the bow, joining a league or something.  It was pretty popular back in Wisconsin, don't know if it is around Boston.

In recent years, I've thought of chucking arrows too, something I could literally do in our own fenced back yard. One of the things that's kept me from doing it is that I don't want a camo hunting bow, but something more target orinted, maybe even an old-fashioned recurve bow, one of those beautiful laminated affairs that I remember people using from my early years.

There must be some interesting, high-tech compound target bows out there too.
Didiki
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 09:11:29 PM »

I've owned three guns in my life, and now that I think of it, they were all related to my career in forestry.

When I first started in forestry back in 1957, I bought an old Remington rifle from a neighbour of ours.  I think it was a 30-30 calibre.

We were doing forestry timber cruising and forest inventory work in Northern Alberta and went into the bush for 4-5 weeks at a time on horseback and pack train.  I was the youngest on the crew and the most expendable, the crew boss would put me at the front of the pack train, so if there was a bear attack I'd be the first to get it.  

The only thing I ever shot with the Remington was "tree branches".  One of our jobs was to shoot down branches from the tops of trees where the best cone crop was.  The cones would be sent down to Edmonton, Alberta for processing and cloning to make "super" trees.  My forestry boss had been a sniper in the Canadian Army during WWII and was a crack shot.  Every shot he made was on target.  I was a terrible shot, and maybe got one branch in ten.  His advice to me, was that if a bear attacked, to forget about shooting it, just turn the rifle around and club it to death.

My first forestry job back in 1957, with my Remington.  18 years old. 

My second gun was a revolver.  I was doing forestry work in British Honduras, now Belize,  back in 1959-1961.  Because of my bush experience in Canada, I was put in charge of a forestry crew of Mayan Indians and sent into the bush to do timber cruising, timber inventory and act as liaison officer with the Archaeology Dept, as we used to come across many ancient Mayan ruins on our work. We'd map them and send the information back down to Belize City.  I was working out in the bush along the Guatemalan border, mostly on horseback as there were no roads in the area.  I was issued with a Smith and Wesson, .38 six shot revolver with a 6" barrel.  It was called a "police special".  It was totally useless for work in the bush.  With the high heat and humidity the thing kept rusting and sticking in the holster.

I was issued this revolver and because my crew were doing forestry work along the Belize-Guatemalan border, I was instructed to arrest anyone who came over from Guatemala do do illegal logging. Forestry officers also acted as peace officers.   I was never told that it was the Guatemalan Army that came over the border in their half track trucks with machine guns mounted.  They would cut down a few Mahogany trees and haul them across the border to sell the logs in Guatemala.  They did this to make some money for themselves as the Guatemalan government were notoriously slow in paying their own troops.  I sure as hell wasn't going to try and arrest heavily armed Guat soldiers, and me with a pea shooter .38.  

I gave this Smith and Wesson back to the Forestry Dept and bought an old Spanish made single shot 12 guage shotgun, which lasted me for 3 years in the bush and was a great firearm for shooting birds and snakes at close quarters.

Never had a firearm for my 40 years of forestry work in Canada.  Just too many damned regulations.

Posted on: Today at 07:33:26 PM Posted by: John Backlund

In recent years, I've thought of chucking arrows too, something I could literally do in our own fenced back yard. One of the things that's kept me from doing it is that I don't want a camo hunting bow, but something more target orinted, maybe even an old-fashioned recurve bow, one of those beautiful laminated affairs that I remember people using from my early years.

There must be some interesting, high-tech compound target bows out there too.

John.

You might be interested in this.

http://www.archeryguy.com/williams/ArtWilliamsOct2010.htm

I knew Art Williams.  He was one of our local "characters".  He built great old fashioned recurve bows.  He made me one back in 1968, which I used for years and still have.  It's a 48 lb pull.  I paid $25 for it, which was tidy sum back in 1968.

He disappeared with the Mounties on his tail.  The local rumor is that he turned up in the Caribbean and was working with some South American drug cartel.  Who knows.  The stuff of legends.

________
Dick
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »

When I was stationed in MI I got into bow shooting. We used to keep them in our trucks while on alert and then shoot them in the evening between the alert facilty and the runway. Lots of fun!
ChandlerScoot
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 96
-Receive: 21

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 07:00:22 AM »

I bought my first firearm a month ago. Have not any time to fire it. My business has been extremely busy for some unknown reason. (actually, I traded some work for it!)
It's a Springfield Armory XDm 9mm

Simon
2009 Kymco 500Ri
John Backlund
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 07:13:45 AM »

I wandered into our Rapid City Cabela's this afternoon and found that they had some Model 1891 Russian Mosin-Nagant rifles for $99, so I had to buy one at that price. It was made in 1942, came in a carboard box complete with a spike bayonet (which won't fit without a bit of dremel work is seems), a web sling, two canvas and leather ammunition belt pouches, and a handful of what appears to be small maintenance tools.....all liberally slathered in mid-century cosmoline.
covert
Just Looking
Scooter Senior

Thank You

covert@olypen.com
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 07:13:46 AM »

A reliable handgun
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 356
-Receive: 828

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »

Something must be in the air... Pete bought a Glock 17 yesterday.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »

John, the Mosin-Nagant is supposed to be a nice rifle to have.  Nice price.
John Backlund
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 11:51:54 PM »

Get 'em while you can. 
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 01:28:20 AM »

Get 'em while you can. 

Took care of my acquisitions 4 yrs ago. Plus the ammo/magazines to support them.
John Backlund
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 05:28:05 PM »

Took care of my acquisitions 4 yrs ago. Plus the ammo/magazines to support them.

I bought an AR-15 several weeks ago, been thinking about getting one for years, thought it might be a good time to aquire one before the election. Depending on the outcome, there will likely be a 'run' on such items and the prices could conceivably double almost overnight, I saw the same thing happen in the early 90's.
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 05:42:51 PM »

John, ammunition now becomes the issue. If that supply is "blocked" then the weapon becomes a club.  And that seems to be the tactic that will be used. (Sorry if this reply is too political.  If so, pls delete it.)
John Backlund
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »

We went out to a shooting area yesterday afternoon and fired five different arms, four for the first time. Teresa would only shoot the S&W M28 and Taurus M689 with .38 specials, and wouldn't try them with full .357's, nor would she shoot the Romanian AK47 or the Russian Mosin-Nagant (more or less correct pronunciation should be something like: "mo-SEEN na-GOHN") battle rifle. I have a slightly bruised shoulder today from the Mosin 7.62X54, but it didn't seem to recoil badly at all, and was rather pleasant to shoot. Now we just need some .22's and twirly-targets.

Our Cabella's currently has some nice, arsenal-refinshed Russian Nagant M1895 revolvers for $149 bucks, I might slip over at lunch and pick one up, they have late 1930's to mid 1940's production dates on them and are mechanically interesting due to their unique gas-sealing cylinder that moves forward when cocked and seals the cylinder/barrel gap. One of the oddball attributes of this feature is that the 1895 Nagant is the only revolver that can truly be 'silenced' with a suppressor. This revolver takes some rather special ammunition that was quite rare in this country in the past but is now fairly common, though it's a bit spendy at about $25 for a box of 50. The Nagant revolver was produced by Russian arsenals continuously from the mid 1890's through WWII. It fires a somewhat 'weak' 95-100 grain round at about 850 fps in modern commercial loadings, though the original military round was a bit more potent at around 1100 fps.

They have an interesting, archaic, 'constable' look about them. If I buy one, I'll post a photo of it this evening.

Edit! Oops! looks like I'll have to wait until next monday to snag a Ruskie antique, too much on the old plate this week.

Anyway, here's what they look like...

And back in the bad-'ol-days....

John Backlund
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »

John, ammunition now becomes the issue. If that supply is "blocked" then the weapon becomes a club.  And that seems to be the tactic that will be used. (Sorry if this reply is too political.  If so, pls delete it.)

No problem, they both (AR & AK) have bayonet lugs, they'll make dandy spears.
SocoPete
RCR
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 18

Email
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 06:54:19 PM »

Tonight I pick up a 12ga. Never know what will happen.

2014 Spyder ST-S
John Backlund
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 07:01:55 PM »

Tonight I pick up a 12ga. Never know what will happen.

Now I feel inadequate, all I have is an old Stevens bolt-action .410.
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »

12ga is about all I'm missing.  Won't be too much longer though.
John Backlund
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 06:05:36 AM »

I've been redecorating my 'guitar room'......added a percussion section....

John Backlund
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 06:31:13 AM »

This is a great photo Didiki, I tweaked it a bit to see if I could get the image a little stronger....

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: