October 22, 2019, 10:24:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shoot'n sports  (Read 48932 times)
John Backlund
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2012, 09:28:31 PM »

Two Mosin Nagant 91/30's......

One made in 1927, and the other in 1942.....

The differences in these two superficially identical rifles is very apparent when looked at in the hand.

The 1927 rifle......

The wartime production 1942 example.....

The milling on the older rifle is quite nice by comparison, and the later rifle's receiver shows many toolmarks and 'shortcuts' in production with the ommission of the 'hex' receiver for the easier and faster to manufacture round type, and there are other differences here and there that reflect the desperation of wartime arms production. The stocks on both rifles is highly unlikely to be original as both guns were arsenal refinished and put into storage after WWII. If either saw actual combat service is anyone's guess.

I paid $99 for the 1942 model, and a relatively hefty $159 for the 1927....I consider both to be incredible bargains for these interesting and historic old Russian relics.

Both function equally well, however. When the trigger is pulled, a big bang results every time.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 224
-Receive: 363

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2012, 09:33:01 PM »

That's fascinating, thanks for sharing that info John.

Practicing Normite.
John Backlund
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2012, 09:55:31 PM »

But wait, but wait!!! there's more....

I've read estimates that as many as 37,000,000 Mosin-Nagant rifles were produced since 1891 in all their variations...no wonder they're cheap. They could still be found in use during the Vietnam war, and even today by insurgents in Afghanistan.

Mine are both Russian, and were made at the Izhevsk arsenal according to their markings.

A list of countries that used the Mosin Nagant rifle at one time or another (including the U.S.)....

Afghanistan
Albania
Angola
Armenia
Austria-Hungary
Belgium
Bulgaria:Still in use by the 101st Alpine Battallion.
People's Republic of China: Used by People's Liberation Army during Chinese Civil War.
Cambodia
Cuba
Czechoslovakia
East Germany
Egypt
Estonia
Finland
Georgia
Hungary
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Israel: Used by Haganah
Japan: Formerly had stockpiles of Mosin-Nagant rifles captured from Imperial Russian forces.
Laos (Received from PRC, North Vietnam and Soviet Union forces)
Latvia
Mongolia
Montenegro
Nazi Germany (large stockpiles of Soviet weapons were captured and designated as the Gewehr 252-256 series following Operation Barbarossa)
North Korea
Philippines (U.S. made)
Poland
Romania
Russian Empire
Serbia
Soviet Union Yugoslavia

WW I Russian infantry with the 1891 Mosin-Nagant...
scootermann
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex, Yamaha Majesty YP400, Vespa GTV 300ie

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 22

WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2012, 08:19:20 PM »

I don't think there is a forum on any subject that doesn't have several "gun threads." Kind of interesting...

This past year, my brother-in-law gave me a new Beretta Neos (.22) target pistol and my brother gave me my dad's Beretta A21 (.22) "mini" pistol. To my surprise, the A21 seems more accurate up to 25 meters. It, however, needs CCI Stingers to prevent misfires when pulling the trigger more than once a second. The Neos will shoot any old .22 long as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Also have a Colt New Frontier (single action revolver), Winchester lever action, Marlin bolt action—all .22, plus a Remington 12ga pump (straight stock and 24" barrel), and a German made Diana air pistol (deadly accurate—look out cans!).

Bang for the buck, I love shooting the .22 ammo, but if I could get one at the right price; a 36 cal black powder Colt Navy would be nice. They actually reissued them in the 70's in stainless steel, and now they are "collector" guns.

bagga
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 8

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »

i have a 21a beretta and the thing shoots great. i was hitting clay pigeons from 25 yards. cci are a must in it for it to shoot right.

1985 flhtc HD
1976 fxe HD
2008 honda ruckus
2003 honda ruckus-"bagga"
2003 honda "rat rod" ruckus
2007 yamaha morphous.
scootermann
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex, Yamaha Majesty YP400, Vespa GTV 300ie

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 22

WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2013, 06:16:19 PM »

i have a 21a beretta and the thing shoots great. i was hitting clay pigeons from 25 yards. cci are a must in it for it to shoot right.

Gotta ask; were the pigeons stationary, or launched?
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 140
-Receive: 173

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2013, 07:47:51 AM »

It doesn't make any difference, Scooterman; no matter how you cook'em they still taste like mud! 

__
Don
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Receive: 93

Email
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2013, 06:26:51 AM »

New addition today, went to the gun shop on my lunch break (shouldn't have, I've been deliberately avoiding the place for the past month) and found a quite nice 1891 Argentine Mauser in very good shape with matching serial numbers. The only negative is that it was missing the original under-barrel cleaning rod. These were made by Loewe in Berlin, I don't think that this model was manufactured after 1896 but will have to research it further. It is very likey to be no 'younger' than 117 years old. The quality of these Mausers is exceptional. I couldn't resist and blew $250 on it, which I believe may be a little underpriced. It's ammunition is 7.65 'Argentine' (7.65X53mm) and is still being loaded by Norma though it's rather expensive. It is a 'modern' smokeless round that is comparable to the .303 British, .308, and 30-06.

When I was 16 or 17, I bought an identical 1891 Arg. Mauser from a hardware store in my home town of Pipestone, Minnesota....even at that young age,we could do things like that back then....good times, good times! So there's also a bit of a nostalgic element in buyng this particular rifle model. I have no idea what I'll do with it, other than perhaps shoot it a few times every year, then hang it back on the wall of my 'guitar room' and look at it. I'll need to buy a replacement cleaning rod for it, which can be found for around $35-$40, and to complete the 'set', I'll find an original bayonet for it, which in this case is a monster of a toad-stabber and something like eighteen inches in length. The bayonet for this rifle is around $100-$150

ChandlerScoot
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 96
-Receive: 21

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2013, 05:22:22 PM »

Very nice rifles, John. Going to the gun shop can be a tricky thing as you never know just what they will have in stock!

Simon
2009 Kymco 500Ri
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2013, 05:32:39 PM »

Whoa!  I can see now why these SERIOUSLY need to be off the market! That plastic grip around the barrel is menacing and the pistol grip, alone, is foreboding even without that adjustable doohickit that goes against your shoulder. Oh... wait... is that one of those awful flash suppressors on the end of the barrel too! And, just to be kind to a fellow scooterite I'll not mention that ridiculously large bullet holder thingie.   

Over here, years ago, I bought a Crossman air pistol and had to get a slip signed by the cops.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2013, 06:32:58 PM »

Over here, years ago, I bought a Crossman air pistol and had to get a slip signed by the cops.

Yeah, but you can put your eye out with one of those things.
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2005 Burgman 400; 2003 VTX 1300

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 203

Email
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »

True statement, that is.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2013, 05:48:21 AM »

I stopped by the gun shop on the way home from work this evening and found several 20 round boxes of Hornady 7.65X53 Argentine ammunition, but at $31.00 a box, I only bought one for now. Cabelas didn't have any, which kind of surprised me. This rifle costs almost three times what my Russian Mosin Nagant 7.62X54 does to shoot. 'Boom' $1.55,.....'Boom' $1.55,.....'Boom' $1.55........

That's some spendy plinking.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2013, 06:29:22 AM »

True statement, that is.

But eyes are really, really small targets!
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »

True statement, that is.

But eyes are really, really small targets!

That's why these things had bayonets, so you could put your eye out without wasting expensive ammunition.
bagga
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Receive: 8

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »

It doesn't make any difference, Scooterman; no matter how you cook'em they still taste like mud! 

stationary, we hang them from a string with plastic clips. i bought the 21a last year and for being a short barrel it really shoots nice.
Rogwing
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 95 sportster 03 Silverwing, 04 Reflex, 95 Magna,63 Cushman eagle

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 42

Email
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2013, 02:00:10 AM »

Growing up, I would go to the range with my Dad at times.  He owned an arsenal of hunting rifles and a few pistols.  I had a good time at target practice, was never really good but enjoyed trying to improve my aim.  Never got into as much as my other brothers but enjoyed the experience.

The last few years I've considered taking up the bow, joining a league or something.  It was pretty popular back in Wisconsin, don't know if it is around Boston.

Ever walk into a room and forget what you went in for?...ADHD, welcome to my world, it happens everyday..
Rogwing
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2013, 02:05:30 AM »

Dan , my father was the Mass longbow state champion in 1958 (year I was born)..he also made long bows..built a special oven to cook the resin between laminates...made them for all 3 grandkids...then in his eighties bought a recurve bow that was so powerfull he couldnt string the thing..heck I barely could do it....its all gone now with his passing..wish Id kept that trophy..my brother or sister may have it not sure,,...Rog
Looking at getting the CCW an a .38 revolver for the house and a .22 magnum for creek walkin
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 224
-Receive: 363

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2013, 04:06:30 AM »

Hope you can still find one of his bows Rog.
ChandlerScoot
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2013, 06:25:08 AM »

Rog, You'll have a heck of a time trying to find ammo for any firearm purchase short of a shotgun.
On another note, I hope you find that bow. Sounds like a great thing to have of which belongs in the family.
Rogwing
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2013, 02:55:56 PM »

What Im reading lately is ammo will be caught up in a year or so..but guns will require a liability insurance per gun ..thats the scary part!
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »

What Im reading lately is ammo will be caught up in a year or so..but guns will require a liability insurance per gun ..thats the scary part!

Yes, ammunition will catch up once all the panic/hoarding in anticipation of new, restrictive legislation has subsided, which it has begun to already.

This is the first I've heard of any requirement pending to have firearm liability insurance. If it was to come about, and the rates were based on accurate statistics, such insurance should be very inexpensive. I've 'bent a fender' once or twice over the years, but I've never experienced a firearm-related mishap and know of only one 'incident' since about 1965 where there was an injury to an aquaintance who was struck with birdshot while pheasant hunting, and that was far from serious.
Rogwing
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2013, 02:48:47 AM »

Ive read more than one article about it Crab boy (lol)...the talk is it will be snuck into legislation where it will suddenly appear with new purchases and then sorta grandfathered in with possesion for all guns in collections..here in NC you have to get a permit from the local sheriff for each handgun..so the records are there..one article speculated at $500 per handgun per year...hope its not true, but it wouldnt surprise me...Rog
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2013, 05:28:14 AM »

..one article speculated at $500 per handgun per year...hope its not true, but it wouldnt surprise me...Rog

That's not an insurance premium, that's extortion, if not outright punishment for ownership. That cost cannot be justified by statistics and is entirely out of proportion to any real accident or theft (and subsequently used in a crime) 'risk'. There are legislative watchdogs in the form of both individuals and organizations that will give loud public notice of things sneaked into any new legislation before they can be passed. And even if it did, I would expect the NRA would very soon offer to provide such 'insurance' through their organisation (which I am a member of) to offset the cost to gun owners.

In South Dakota, there is only one background check by the county Sheriff's office when a four-year (soon to be five) concealed carry permit is applied for. No purchase permit is required in South Dakota (and many other western states as well) for individual firearm purchases other than the federally required NICS call-in background check at the time of purchase for each firearm sold by an FFL dealer.

Having said that, I would rather not turn this thread too much towards the political end of things, as it will eventually (inevitably) lead to it being locked. We're doing fine so far, but they never end well if they're allowed to wander very far from the casual 'looky what I got!' kind of post.  
Rogwing
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2013, 02:12:08 AM »

JB Ive read as insurance..as a tax..as a fee...your right it is subsiding and will always be a hot topic..not arguing here...I doubt the NRA would jump on insurance unless it is mandated across the country...last time I went into Dunhams there were .22's and shotgun shell and not much more...never had a firearm..a few pellot pistols..hell all the trouble I had with the last crazy chick I dated they may nnot let me get a handgun! lol....Rog
ChandlerScoot
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2013, 02:04:56 AM »

I've been back at it working on my friends gun shop. I had my apprentice do a couple hours worth of work last week while I finished it up yesterday with another two hours installing a door annunciator system. My friend handed me a Remington Versa Max shotgun and said you earned it! I'm a happy camper with a $1100 firearm   I did have to pay the $92 in taxes....

I will eventually go to the range, I promise! Marie and I last went a week before Christmas. Been a while but life and work get in the way 
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2005 Burgman 400; 2003 VTX 1300

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 203

Email
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2013, 02:35:46 AM »

Nice!
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda 70 Passport, Yamaha 185 Exciter, Yamaha 250 Exciter, Kawasaki 550LTD, Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, Yamaha Virago 1100

Thank You
-Given: 31
-Receive: 11

Email
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2014, 05:03:09 AM »

Here's my latest hobby:

Bitch please
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2014, 12:08:01 AM »

Airsoft guns?
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda 70 Passport, Yamaha 185 Exciter, Yamaha 250 Exciter, Kawasaki 550LTD, Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, Yamaha Virago 1100

Thank You
-Given: 31
-Receive: 11

Email
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2014, 04:58:43 AM »

Nope, airguns/BB guns/Pellet guns/CO2 guns
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: