December 12, 2019, 12:05:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shoot'n sports  (Read 50127 times)
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2005 Burgman 400; 2003 VTX 1300

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 203

Email
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 06:49:36 AM »

John, I love it!
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 06:54:49 AM »

Dick, that's a great picture.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 359
-Receive: 843

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »

I've seen that picture of you before, Dick.   I love it!!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
John Backlund
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 12:13:38 AM »

My crusty old (1942) commie noisemaker......Mosin Nagant 7.62X54 model 1891/30, $99 at Cabela's, complete with sling, spike bayonet, a couple of Russian ammo belt pouches, what more do you need?....cheap and fun....once you get the over fifty years of storage cosmoline goop out of it...

ChandlerScoot
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 96
-Receive: 21

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 07:10:23 AM »

Marie wanted her own CCW firearm so we picked up a S&W Shield for her yesterday at our favorite shop. We get some great discounts....I trade electrical work for guns. How better does that get?!

Simon
2009 Kymco 500Ri
John Backlund
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »

Marie wanted her own CCW firearm so we picked up a S&W Shield for her yesterday at our favorite shop. We get some great discounts....I trade electrical work for guns. How better does that get?!

I have local guy who's been trying for years (since the late 90's) to trade me a pistol for a charicature cartoon drawing of him. Every time I see him (not very often), he brings it up. Since he never manages to come up with a decent reference photo of him for me to work from, I now tell him that I don't do charicatures anymore, just to avoid having to eventually do one of him.

In the 1970's, I traded a motorcycle sidecar for a .45ACP 1917 Colt Officer's Revolver...I wish I still had that sidecar though.......as well as that revolver.

Did you get a free pen with it? I love it when they give away free pens with a gun purchase.
ChandlerScoot
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 01:39:40 AM »

John, nothing is free these days... I put the pen in there as a scaling tool. I am glad my wife is partaking in this new thing of ours. We left NY for Phoenix 11 years ago. NYC always had a taboo thing against guns. It was as if you were thought of as a criminal to own one. I would like to get a compact .45 as my next one. The shop did have a 1983 9mm revolver on consignment for $785. It looked new and well cared for. Not sure if it was a Smith & Wesson.
John Backlund
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »

The shop did have a 1983 9mm revolver on consignment for $785. It looked new and well cared for. Not sure if it was a Smith & Wesson.

For that kind of money it almost had to be an S&W. That's a lot for a five shot 9MM (maybe six). It must have some minor collector value or something. If I was limited to five or six rounds in a revolver, I'd go for a compact .357, where'd I also have the option of using .38 Specials in it, both standard velocity and +P rounds....but, whatever floats your boat, it's all good.
John Backlund
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 01:45:27 AM »

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 359
-Receive: 843

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 02:30:26 AM »

One of these things is not like the other
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 171

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 02:33:25 AM »

One of these things is not like the other

I noticed that, one of them has a cord plugged into it 

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 146,318 miles
06 Burgman 400, 50,607 miles
John Backlund
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 08:13:53 AM »

Those Telecasters are bad-ass.
John Backlund
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, 10:29:18 PM »

I walked into my favorite shooting stuff dealer on my lunch hour today and one of the guys who worked there had a Mosin Nagant rifle they had just received on the work stand cleaning the storage cosmoline off of it as well as he could with rags. I noticed that it had the hexagon receiver of the pre-war rifles and had a much nicer stock and metalwork than the wartime 1942 Nagant I bought several weeks ago from Cabela's for $99.

Danged if I didn't buy the thing on the spot for $159. Made in 1927, and of obviously better quality than my 1942 rifle. What am I gonna do with two of the damn things? Oh well, worse thing have happened.

I'll post photos of it later.

MaxB
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2012, 12:41:30 AM »

I just bought a marlin 795  to use for plinking target shooting. $149 at Dick's sporting good. this is a black plastic stock model.
I put a scope on it and we will see how good it shoots. Lots of stuff on youtube. I have an OLD model 39a that I got as a kid, and I hope this new model shoots as well as my old one does. Lots of youtubers say it shoots sub minute groups, better than the ruger 10/22.
I have done some of the smoothing out that is recommended on some of the vids. it cycles slick now. trigger work maybe in the future.  (can't leave things alone.)
maxb
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2012, 02:26:59 AM »

What am I gonna do with two of the damn things? Oh well, worse thing have happened.

You know what they say, John.  One is none, two is one.
John Backlund
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »

Popped into Cabela's this morning and snagged a Russian M1895 Nagant revolver for their special $99.99 'Black Friday' deal on the gun. Of course it was a PITA all around to do it, and while I was there the federal NICS system was overwhelmed by apparently everyone and their mother buying firearms and the system was spotty at best. I had to stand around for about forty minutes waiting for the NICS call to go through, but finally was able to pay for the revolver and get the hell out of that clusterf#@k of a store and go home.

Anyway, here's the cute carton the little commie gunski came in.....

Complete with a lanyard cord, rudimentary cleaning rod, an old oil can (I think), and of course, the added child-safety lock..too bad we don't have some kids to test it around here, but all we have are a couple of cats, and they don't give a crap about this sort of thing...

Out of the box, and out of the plastic bag, and onto the newspaper in all it's gooey, greasy, oily, glory......ready to get scrubbed out....
the stocks are actually checkered walnut, but are almost black with preservative goo.......

Scrubbed out and ready to go back into the Czar's service....too bad they assasinated him, and his entire family with this model gun back when the pinkos were taking over Russia.......My specimen was built in 1937 at Russia's Tula arsenal, it weighs 28 ounces (unloaded), has a 4.5 inch barrel. These guns were arsenal refurbished after WWII and put into long-term storage. I've read that many thousands of these guns were stored in Russian salt mines, at least the Mosin Nagant rifles were, and I assume the revolvers and pistols were too. These revolvers were manuactured from 1895 through late WWII.

It's a seven-shooter, with the goofiest-looking firing pin I've ever seen sprouting out of that hammer....

These things fire an odd little round that has the bullet inset into the brass casing with none of it protruding beyond the casing's lip, this is because of the pistol's unique gas-sealing cylinder that upon cocking the pistol, moves forward and seals the usual gap between a revolver's cylinder face and the Barrel throat. This unusual 'feature' make the 1895 Nagant the only revolver that can be effectively silenced with a suppressor threaded onto the barrel's muzzle end....

It's a compact gun, and is somewhat dwarfed by my S&W M28 .357, which looks like a bruiser next to the relatively frail-looking little Nagant. The Nagant revolver's action was, in fact, the predecesor to the S&W's double-action and S&W based it's revolver's internal mechanism directly on the 1895 Russian Nagant, so as unlikely as it may seem, they are definately shirt-tail relation......I find it's almost 'steampunk' archaic appearance quite interesting, it looks like something Sherlock Holmes might pack under his cloak, definately has that '1900' thing going on.
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2012, 06:11:45 AM »

Cool. That is an odd looking firing pin.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »

Do you need to carry that hammer down on an empty chamber like the old single action colts or does it have some kind of hammer block to keep it from going off if you drop it on the hammer?   
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »

Did a little Google searching and answered my own question.  The design is such that it precludes the hammer from striking the round unless the trigger is pulled so it is safe to carry fully loaded. 

Interesting side not, I saw where a lot of folks use S&W 32 short or long ammo as practice rounds in this gun because they a lot cheaper.  There are some issues with brass bulging or splitting when using these but other than that they function OK.  You don't get a complete gas seal like you do with the Nagant 7.62x38mm.  You can also get cylinders for it that are chambered to use 32 APC rounds.     
John Backlund
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »

Did a little Google searching and answered my own question.  The design is such that it precludes the hammer from striking the round unless the trigger is pulled so it is safe to carry fully loaded. 

Interesting side not, I saw where a lot of folks use S&W 32 short or long ammo as practice rounds in this gun because they a lot cheaper.  There are some issues with brass bulging or splitting when using these but other than that they function OK.  You don't get a complete gas seal like you do with the Nagant 7.62x38mm.  You can also get cylinders for it that are chambered to use 32 APC rounds.     

Some are also using .32 H&R Magnums in them, but it causes a lot of 'discussion' as to the wisdom of doing so. On the other hand, the Nagant military loadings for the revolver are/were a lot hotter than the commercial stuff currently being loaded for it. If you look at old film videos (on youtube) of the Nagant being fired by Russian soldiers, you can clearly see the difference in recoil as compared to modern videos of people firing the gun, which has barely any noticable recoil at all, almost like a .22 LR. I've read that the replacment .32 cylinders often need some gunsmith tweaking to function properly, though I'd like to have one. I might buy several more of these things over the next month or two....you know, just in case of an impending zombie apocalypse or something.
John Backlund
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »

Couple of old comrades....

covert
Just Looking
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Fondly remembered: PC800 and FJR 1300

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 3

covert@olypen.com
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2012, 05:55:49 AM »

Webley?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

...age is always advancing and I am fairly sure it's up to no good.
- Jim Butcher
John Backlund
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 06:07:49 AM »

Webley?

Model 1895 Nagant. Russian manufacture. Made in 1937.

The Webley might look similar from a distance though. They are both from roughly the same period, but other than being revolvers, they are quite different in many ways.
ChandlerScoot
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2012, 06:21:02 AM »

Nice score, John. I dared not go to Cabela's after last weeks gun buying frenzy. I wonder if they have any at my local branch. Would be nice to add to the collection. I ordered a .45 XDs through my gun guy for some more electrical tradeoffs. He had taken on some estate sale guns and had a couple of "oldies" that he will surprise me with once he gets pricing on.
John Backlund
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2012, 07:33:17 AM »

Sometime in December, I'll be buying a .45ACP 1911, I'm not sure what brand yet. I prefer it to be close to the basic original military configuration though, only with better sights. Nothing too fancy. Maybe a Remington or Ruger model, I don't want to spend much over $750 at the top end of my budget for one.
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2012, 04:29:44 PM »

I've heard good things about the Remington. Have considered one, but am content with my XD45 for now.
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 188
-Receive: 219

generic

Email
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 08:54:50 PM »

Have fun, John! I have two Mosin Nagant rifles, a Hungarian made M-44 and a Russian Model 91/59 carbine (basically a modified 91/30 mated to an M-44 stock), $79,00 for the M-44 and $99.00 for the 91/59 but that was several years ago. Reliable bolt action, many have been converted to hunting by the frugal and those who depend on hunting to provide food.
  Only as a collector item would I spend for a Nagant revolver, ammo and operation are a bit odd. They have been selling in the $80.00 to $100.00 range for the past 20 years. Of course on the other hand at a hundred bucks or so it isn't a huge investment. A better buy and shooter would be to put
the hundred toward a Russian TT33 auto, one of the many variants or a clean Makarov, the later Soviet sidearm, either should be available for less than $200.00.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/
http://www.mosinnagant.net/global%20mosin%20nagants/default.asp

If you stand for anything, you have fallen for something.
John Backlund
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »

I haven't seen a Makarov at any of the local gunshops for years. I used to own a pretty decent Makarov in .380, wish I would have kept it.
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 188
-Receive: 219

generic

Email
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 12:07:39 AM »

I haven't seen a Makarov at any of the local gunshops for years. I used to own a pretty decent Makarov in .380, wish I would have kept it.

Try http://www.gunbroker.com/ for anything you might be interested in purchasing. There is a list of participating individuals and businesses with FFL where you can have purchases shipped, transfer fees usually range from $10.00 to $25.00 plus any local law enforcement fees for background checks and such that might be required in your area.  

Edited to add - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/Main.aspx? is a good source of reasonably priced or at least less expensive ammo. Sign up for their e-mail notices for periodical huge discounts.
John Backlund
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 07:48:04 AM »

I often peruse Gunsamerica and have bought a firearm through them before. I had it sent to First Stop Guns in Rapid City (I used to work there in the early 2000's). They charge $20 to do the transfer.

I've never bought ammunition via the internet though, I should look into it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: