October 27, 2020, 04:54:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shoot'n sports  (Read 54911 times)
John Backlund
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »

Popped into Cabela's this morning and snagged a Russian M1895 Nagant revolver for their special $99.99 'Black Friday' deal on the gun. Of course it was a PITA all around to do it, and while I was there the federal NICS system was overwhelmed by apparently everyone and their mother buying firearms and the system was spotty at best. I had to stand around for about forty minutes waiting for the NICS call to go through, but finally was able to pay for the revolver and get the hell out of that clusterf#@k of a store and go home.

Anyway, here's the cute carton the little commie gunski came in.....

Complete with a lanyard cord, rudimentary cleaning rod, an old oil can (I think), and of course, the added child-safety lock..too bad we don't have some kids to test it around here, but all we have are a couple of cats, and they don't give a crap about this sort of thing...

Out of the box, and out of the plastic bag, and onto the newspaper in all it's gooey, greasy, oily, glory......ready to get scrubbed out....
the stocks are actually checkered walnut, but are almost black with preservative goo.......

Scrubbed out and ready to go back into the Czar's service....too bad they assasinated him, and his entire family with this model gun back when the pinkos were taking over Russia.......My specimen was built in 1937 at Russia's Tula arsenal, it weighs 28 ounces (unloaded), has a 4.5 inch barrel. These guns were arsenal refurbished after WWII and put into long-term storage. I've read that many thousands of these guns were stored in Russian salt mines, at least the Mosin Nagant rifles were, and I assume the revolvers and pistols were too. These revolvers were manuactured from 1895 through late WWII.

It's a seven-shooter, with the goofiest-looking firing pin I've ever seen sprouting out of that hammer....

These things fire an odd little round that has the bullet inset into the brass casing with none of it protruding beyond the casing's lip, this is because of the pistol's unique gas-sealing cylinder that upon cocking the pistol, moves forward and seals the usual gap between a revolver's cylinder face and the Barrel throat. This unusual 'feature' make the 1895 Nagant the only revolver that can be effectively silenced with a suppressor threaded onto the barrel's muzzle end....

It's a compact gun, and is somewhat dwarfed by my S&W M28 .357, which looks like a bruiser next to the relatively frail-looking little Nagant. The Nagant revolver's action was, in fact, the predecesor to the S&W's double-action and S&W based it's revolver's internal mechanism directly on the 1895 Russian Nagant, so as unlikely as it may seem, they are definately shirt-tail relation......I find it's almost 'steampunk' archaic appearance quite interesting, it looks like something Sherlock Holmes might pack under his cloak, definately has that '1900' thing going on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: