October 20, 2019, 01:27:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shoot'n sports  (Read 48886 times)
John Backlund
« on: November 05, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »

We went out to a shooting area yesterday afternoon and fired five different arms, four for the first time. Teresa would only shoot the S&W M28 and Taurus M689 with .38 specials, and wouldn't try them with full .357's, nor would she shoot the Romanian AK47 or the Russian Mosin-Nagant (more or less correct pronunciation should be something like: "mo-SEEN na-GOHN") battle rifle. I have a slightly bruised shoulder today from the Mosin 7.62X54, but it didn't seem to recoil badly at all, and was rather pleasant to shoot. Now we just need some .22's and twirly-targets.

Our Cabella's currently has some nice, arsenal-refinshed Russian Nagant M1895 revolvers for $149 bucks, I might slip over at lunch and pick one up, they have late 1930's to mid 1940's production dates on them and are mechanically interesting due to their unique gas-sealing cylinder that moves forward when cocked and seals the cylinder/barrel gap. One of the oddball attributes of this feature is that the 1895 Nagant is the only revolver that can truly be 'silenced' with a suppressor. This revolver takes some rather special ammunition that was quite rare in this country in the past but is now fairly common, though it's a bit spendy at about $25 for a box of 50. The Nagant revolver was produced by Russian arsenals continuously from the mid 1890's through WWII. It fires a somewhat 'weak' 95-100 grain round at about 850 fps in modern commercial loadings, though the original military round was a bit more potent at around 1100 fps.

They have an interesting, archaic, 'constable' look about them. If I buy one, I'll post a photo of it this evening.

Edit! Oops! looks like I'll have to wait until next monday to snag a Ruskie antique, too much on the old plate this week.

Anyway, here's what they look like...

And back in the bad-'ol-days....

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: