June 18, 2019, 05:31:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adirondack Adventure  (Read 2161 times)
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 224
-Receive: 362

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« on: October 19, 2012, 08:42:44 PM »

Took my last big ride for the season.  Went to a new destination, the Adirondack region of New York.  It's quite beautiful, not only the Adirondack's but the ride out through Vermont and New Hampshire.  Now the bad, it was cold and very windy on my ride out.  Wind blasts were just over 20 mph which is just about my maximum of tolerability and the wind was that cold Canadian air.  Temps were supposed to reach the high 50's but in the mountainous Vermont area the temps were in the low 40's.  I was miserable but still appreciated the beauty of autumn.

Fortunately the next two days were better, 50 degree weather and light wind.  I used Lake George, NY as my base.  This is where Americade is held in the summer and it is a typical resort town.  However this time of year during the week it is virtually a ghost town, even McDonald's is closed for the season.  Fortunately a nice local bar was open for dinner a short walk from my hotel.

The riding window was quite short, a few hours when you consider it doesn't warm up till about 10 am and you want to get back at 5 pm before the cold creeps in for the evening.  I was having such a good ride that I lost track of time and didn't get in until the evening after 6 pm, so I suffered a bit in the dropping temps.  Went by Long Lake, Lake Placid, Lake Champlain, Lake George and a bunch of other waterways all nestled in the mountains.

The ride back home was quite nice.  The warmest temps of the ride and some great scenery.  Plus the Google Maps car was right behind me for a long stretch in Vermont so next time they update StreetView there will be a green Ninja cruising on Rockingham Road.

For the exploration of the Adirondack's I just randomly rode around, not much of a description on many pics, just some beautiful scenery.

Vermont in the fall.  My only stop on the way out other than lunch, too cold to linger any longer than necessary.

There were a few abandoned homes in Vermont and New York.  Most weren't as old and worn down as this example.

I found these two old rail cars sitting on the tracks.

While it was past peak, there was still some vibrant fall colors in places.

Some neat old bridges about.

My only food pic but it's a good one.

Looks like they offer aerial tours in the summer months.

Bye everyone!  Another great area of the country that I need to go back to... next time when it's warmer.

Practicing Normite.
Diversion
Global Moderator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2003 Yellow Honda Reflex

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 155

Growing Older - But not Up

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 08:49:01 PM »

Great shots -- thanx for taking us along.

------------------------------
Scoots don't give a shift!!!!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 325
-Receive: 811

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »

Outstanding, Dan!!  Great shots.  I love the abandoned train car shot.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
robster
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »

did your back sore? i don't think you can lean backward on that motorcycle cuz the handlebar's kinda far forward.... but yes nice pics
ZippyGirl
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »

I like the shot with the old house and part of a Ninja.
masscoot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1993 Tomos A35 Top Tank (sold) 1984 Honda Aero NH125 (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 85
-Receive: 100

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »

Absolutely beautiful Dan!  I've been to most of those places, the road around Lake George is awesome!  I rediscovered Vermont about 5 years ago and go back there often.  I plan to ride a long one on Sunday with an old ScootMA member (with the electrics onboard) !

Paul

MA-PGR Rider
2003 FSC600D Candy Glory Red, Givi TB19, JCWXL Topbox w/custom leds, ISO grips, LED fog lights, custom 4-way strobes, custom LED marker lights, tailpipe bling, Garmin SP2610, Airhawk, Dr Pulley Sliders 22gx28g, K&N Air Filter, brake light modulator,
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 11:00:20 PM »

Thanks all!

Maggie the train cars were very neat.  I took a bunch of photos of them but liked the one I posted best.  Just so strange that the two cars were left out on the tracks in the middle of nowhere.

Robster the Ninja is very comfortable.

It sure is an interesting house Zippy.  Like the train I took a few extra pics but it looked best with the Ninja in the frame.

Paul it sure is a great area to ride, I now know why they hold Americade there every year.  At the bar the locals told me to ride around Lake George as you suggested.  I didn't do it, I went west and north instead.  Another reason to go back, you and I should plan to do that next season, it would be fun to go again when it's warmer.
The Scootist
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 31

Ride to Mount Evans - Elevation 14,000+ ft amsl

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 11:18:07 PM »

Dan:
I love your photos!  That is a beautiful part of the country and one sweet looking bike...

Red 2009 Silverwing.  Tall Givi Wind screen, Givi topcase, Leo Vince 4-Road exhaust, Superbrite head lamp, PIAA Driving lights, mirror extenders, power commander with custom high altitude map, K&N air filter/drilled air box, HyperPro springs, 22g Dr Pulley Sliders, Bi-valent Flux capacitor.
robster
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 11:31:32 PM »

Dan:
I love your photos!  That is a beautiful part of the country and one sweet looking bike...

i agree, its a beautiful part of the USA ive been there. my classmate lives there.
masscoot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1993 Tomos A35 Top Tank (sold) 1984 Honda Aero NH125 (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 85
-Receive: 100

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 11:38:20 PM »

Thanks all!

Paul it sure is a great area to ride, I now know why they hold Americade there every year.  At the bar the locals told me to ride around Lake George as you suggested.  I didn't do it, I went west and north instead.  Another reason to go back, you and I should plan to do that next season, it would be fun to go again when it's warmer.

Definitely!  Mario's has great food, just like Mama used to make! Ft Ticonderoga, Green Mountain National forest, Vermont country Store(s)...crap its going to be a long winter I just know it!
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2005 Burgman 400; 2003 VTX 1300

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 203

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »

Beautiful scenery Dan!  Thanks for sharing the ride with us.
Wanderer
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, 2012 Kymco People GT 300i

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 12:48:29 AM »

Great photos!  Thanks for reminding us how nice this area is in the Fall.  I was there some years ago to attend Americade, but it wasn't as beautiful as seeing the color in the Fall.  It was a bit warmer though ! :D
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 169

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 12:57:04 AM »

Nothing like a ride in beautiful scenery, especially if you stop for Pie. 

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 143,540 miles
06 Burgman 400, 49,722 miles
bkg123
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 02:56:43 AM »

Great ride Dan. That scenery looks a lot like ours out here in the NorthWet. Its been an awesome summer of riding, the fall rides are like dessert....sweet.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 03:05:02 AM »

Thanks everyone, glad you like the photos.  I snapped off about 160 images, it was hard to filter them down but these are truly the best.  I had a few mountain range photos but those didn't take too well, the subtlety of the distant ranges just don't show up.

Craig, I was thinking of you and Robing when I had stopped for pie.  I may have to make that more of a habit in the future.

Wanderer, I've been wanting to go to Americade the last two years but schedule hasn't allowed it.  It's easy to see why they hold the rally there, fantastic for riders.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 11:58:21 PM »

Great trip and pictures.  I've been wanting to get to that part of the country on a bike for years and can't quite seem to make it.  I just wrote a note in the gear section about the merits of heated grips or gloves and a balaclava.  In those temps the extra warmth provided by these would have served you well.  Again great pictures and I'm sure it was a great trip thanks for doumenting it!
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 04:26:50 PM »

It's a great area to ride gurock, I recommend making the time to explore.  Lots of good riding roads and interesting sights, I only scratched the surface.

In regards to heated gear/grips and balaclavas I've got some solutions and did use them on the trip.  I have a balaclava but don't particularly like wearing it, instead I have a fleece with a high neck collar that not only protects my neck but gives me another layer for my entire core.  I had talked to my dealer about installing heated grips when I bought my bike and he didn't recommend it.  Instead he suggested heated gloves, stating that you can take them with you when you get your next bike.  I haven't explored it yet but think I would prefer heated grips because you don't have to worry about the batteries giving out.  I'll check out your thread in the gear selection.
davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1967 Yamaha 305, 2007 Piaggio X9 500, 2007 Ninja 500R, 2003 SV650

Thank You
-Given: 121
-Receive: 118

2003 SV 650

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 08:28:39 AM »

Great post Dan. Thanks.

It's amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets credit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: