January 24, 2021, 04:55:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burgman Executive low beam headlights not working - low beam fuse?  (Read 8839 times)
bikerdoc
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »

As the title reads, my Burgman exec low beam headlights are not working. High beams, passing flash are.
Can someone kindly advise where one can find the low beam, and high beam headlight fuses (AN650K7 2007 Executive model)?

Background, I have just bought (3 weeks ago) a very low mileage 2007 Burgman Executive and after just returning from a week long ride, during which I found that the accessory plug wasn't powering any of my devices up. So I took the time one morning this past week while waiting for riding companions to assemble outside one hotel to investigate just why there was no power from the accessory plug, I pulled the handle bar tupper-ware, and the top glove box tupper-ware too and placed all on the hotel parking lot. I found that there was no wiring to the male connectors for the back side of the accessory plug which explained why there was no power. I didn't have the right bits to do any remedial repairs so I buttoned everything back up and waited to attack the problem when I was back home.

Roll forward to today where I was trying to rewire the accessory lighter plug now that I have returned home, and have more tools etc and the time. While working out where to take power from, as I have no idea really where the power comes from ex-factory so I thought to use the headlights which are hard wired in, meaning the lights are on when the ignition is switched on. As stated I have no idea where the power was taken from initially (ex-factory), though I did find that there is a accessory fuse to the left of the lockable storage cubby, behind the removable snap in/out panel where a number of wires come together. The wires from that "accessory" fuse though descend down in behind the tupper-ware down toward the engine and there doesn't feel like any "give" on the wiring, which I checked just in case the wires may have descended down that way on their own.

Anyway while trying to find a live "powered with key on" connection and using the headlight connection plug I inadvertently must have crossed a couple of wires while working in the confined space as I heard the familiar "snap" that fuses make, when I placed one of my wires on the one of the headlight spade connectors. Now I have no low beam which were working up to that point. High beam, passing flash are still work fine as per normal. I checked the white wire up to the high/low switch, and it is fine, white wire is still soldered up, with appropriate connection (at the handlebar switchgear assembly). Also swapped out both halogen bulbs for another pair just in case it was the filament though that was and is not the problem as I swapped all bulbs with another motorcycle in the garage and they are good to go.

If someone can point me in the direction of where the high and low beam headlight fuses are and what they look like (e.g. do they look like the typical spade fused connections found elsewhere on the scoot) as I cannot see anything resembling a fuse (with one exception) in the main wiring loom where both headlight bundles descend into. There is a single "mirror" spade type fuse around that area, and near that "mirror" fuse are two small rectangular wiring "blocks" white in colour with "black" snap off type tops. I have removed each of those thinking that they might be some type of fusible link. But when removed all the wires that connect through the small rectangular wiring "blocks" make a solder connection on the top side. Don't think these are the fuses referred to in this thread or elsewhere, or am I incorrect? Even if these were some type of fusible link for the low and high beams then both top side solder connections look solid.

So any advice or heads up on where the elusive headlight fuses are? A couple of photos indicating their location would also be really helpful.

Cheers
BD
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 375
-Receive: 895

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 12:42:24 PM »

Open the glove box door (the locking one). Pull off the cover to the left of the door. You will see a square cover held in by 4 screws. Remove the screws and pull the cover out. There's your fuse box.

Look at Fuse 1 & 2 in this box.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
bikerdoc
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 12:24:25 AM »

I ended up sliding the two items described hidden behind the access panel to the left of the main lockable glove box. Opening the lockable glove box one can remove the aforementioned panel. In behind the panel are two square plastic housings and then to the right of these is an accessory fuse. I removed the two plastic housings that are to the left of the accessory fuse, by sliding the housings which are connected together, but can be slid off a metal "prong" which then allows access to the top of the fuse box. Did not need to remove the 4 screws. Once the housings are free of the metal retaining prongs, I opened the left housing lid the relevant fuses were found, though unlike all the other fuses found round the burgy which are standard sized, these are mini spade fuses. Sure enough the 15A low beam fuse had blown, and once swapped out for the spare, I'm good to go.
Thanks for your response. Appreciate it!

Now I only have one question. Where is the standard cigarette lighter accessory plug wiring normally taking it's feed from ex-factory? Pics would be really helpful. I have no wires to the 2 male connectors on the back of the cigarette lighter plug, so have no idea where the power is meant to come from. Now that I have found where the headlight fuses are though I'm thinking about piggy backing my power wire from this fuse box. Another question is, which one of the male connectors on the back of the cigarette lighter plus is the positive?

I don't have a manual as yet, but one has been ordered. If one was to tap into power for their accessory plug, where'd you likely take it from. Cheers again.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 177

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 02:58:48 AM »

The power for the accessory plug comes from a stand alone fuse in the front fuse panel.  With the cover for the fuse panel off look on the right side of the panel under the turn signal flasher.  You will see an individual fuse holder with a 10 amp fuse in it.  That is the fuse on the power wire for the accessory plug. 

Something else you may want to check on.  Your bike may not be affected but it's worth checking because if it shorts lots of damage can occur.   

On the early 07 Execs there was a problem with the routing of the wire harness on the right hand side between the windshield motor and the fairing.  On some bikes it would rub and eventually wear through the insulation on the wires shorting them out.  You might want to pull the front fairing off and check to see if the insulation on the large wire bundle that runs in front of the windshield motor is worn.  If so look more carefully to see if any bare wires are showing.  If they are then the wrapping on the bundle will need to be cut away and the individual wires wrapped then the whole bundle wrapped again.  If no bare wires are showing then just wrap the bundle and then before you put the fairing back on make sure to push the bundle around so it does not get rubbed again. 

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 151,261 miles
06 Burgman 400, 51,952 miles
bikerdoc
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 02:36:11 AM »

The power for the accessory plug comes from a stand alone fuse in the front fuse panel.  With the cover for the fuse panel off look on the right side of the panel under the turn signal flasher.  You will see an individual fuse holder with a 10 amp fuse in it.  That is the fuse on the power wire for the accessory plug. 

Something else you may want to check on.  Your bike may not be affected but it's worth checking because if it shorts lots of damage can occur.   

On the early 07 Execs there was a problem with the routing of the wire harness on the right hand side between the windshield motor and the fairing.  On some bikes it would rub and eventually wear through the insulation on the wires shorting them out.  You might want to pull the front fairing off and check to see if the insulation on the large wire bundle that runs in front of the windshield motor is worn.  If so look more carefully to see if any bare wires are showing.  If they are then the wrapping on the bundle will need to be cut away and the individual wires wrapped then the whole bundle wrapped again.  If no bare wires are showing then just wrap the bundle and then before you put the fairing back on make sure to push the bundle around so it does not get rubbed again. 

Thanks Buffalo for your reply.

Firstly thanks for the information concerning the wiring harness friction issue on the K7 Burgy, which is something I will assess when I take of the handlebar and top storage bin plastics later today.

Just a quick question you might be able to help me with.

My question now concerns the wiring that leads into and out of the accessory fuse. I assume that there should be a positive or power wire that exits from the fuse and then connects to the positive spade connector on the back side of the accessory (cigarette lighter aux) plug. The other spade connector would therefore have a ground/earth or negative wire connected to it, so where does it ground? Is there a ground/earth or negative wire in amongst the small bundle of wires that ascend up towards that accessory fuse? If anyone has some photos of the associated wiring in situ that clearly shows the wiring surrounding the accessory fuse and connecting to the accessory (cigarette lighter aux) plug that would be really helpful. Then I will know what I am looking for.

What I am trying to understand is that from the fuse, where is the wiring pig tailing from? Does the wiring for the accessory (cigarette lighter aux) plug, pigtail direct from one side of the fuse to the accessory (cigarette lighter aux) plug or does the wire descend back down in the wiring loop below the fuse for some other purpose before ascending it's way back to the accessory (cigarette lighter aux) plug from an alternate location?

As it stands, I don't seem to be able to find any loose wires below or exiting the accessory fuse, which is what I would have expected.

Another thing is, does the accessory plug only power up or become live when either the ignition key is switched to "ON" or only after the engine is started?
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 03:28:23 AM »

The plug only has power when the ignition key is in the on position. 

The wires that lead into the plug come out of the wiring harness (that bundle of wires leading from the fuse panel).  The wire from the fuse goes into the harness then back out to go to the accessory plug.  It is an orange wire with a black stripe both coming out of the fuse and going into the accessory plug according to the wiring diagram.     

The ground is a black wire with a white stripe.  That is the common ground for all the electronics on the bike.  From the battery under the seat there are two wires leading from the negative side.  One is a large black wire that goes down toward the engine.  That is the ground for the starter motor.  The other is a smaller black wire that goes about a foot out to a connector plug.  That is the ground for all the electronics and lights on the bike.  The wire going from the other side of that connector goes into the wiring harness.  From there it has branches that go to everything else.  Each of those branches comes out as a black wire with a white stripe.  The one for the accessory plug leaves the harness at the same place as the power wire for the plug.

It sounds to me like someone has used the wires that did go to your plug as power for something else.  Hopefully they didn't just cut the wires off when they took off that something else.       

bikerdoc
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 10:52:53 AM »

I found that someone had cut the original wires and left the two connectors in site on the connectors of the cigarette lighter (aux) plug, which I also determined was not working when I ran wiring to known live wires which had current flowing through them (checked using alternative methods).

After obtaining an an after-market aux multi-plug extension, I removed the male plug and ran the separate (red) wire to the AN650K7 accessory fuse and the black wire which I earthed/grounded to a bolt which secured the airbox. The multi-plug has 3 female plugs and a USB plug so it gives me many options for connecting devices etc. I'll take a few photos and post the results here later. I also ran a multi-adaptor USB cable through the back of the main glove box, which has a rear bolt in section, and then thread the cable behind and to the front of the steering head, before ascending it up between the upper plastics and out from under the handle bar plastics, then up to a universal GPS, PDA holder which I secured to the top of the dash well within line of sight when riding. I use a a number of HTC devices including a HTC HD2 (T8585) mobile phone with GPS which I've used the past 2 years with GarminXT, MapAsia, and Route66. The aforementioned cable itself, has an adaptor and accepts a range of different plug configurations e.g. mini USB, micro USB etc.

While I had the top plastics off I also drilled 2 small holes and secured a U-bolt to which I fastened a non-locking carabiner (which I also use on my other maxi's AN650K3 & Jetmax) for securing shopping bags and the like in the tunnel section when I haven't got my Givi tunnel bag with me. The other two items I have yet to fit are a plastic bicycle style drink holder, and a FM stereo receiver and USB music player device which are standard on the CFMoto Jetmax maxi scoots.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 01:45:43 AM »

After obtaining an an after-market aux multi-plug extension, I removed the male plug and ran the separate (red) wire to the AN650K7 accessory fuse and the black wire which I earthed/grounded to a bolt which secured the airbox.

Word of warning.  The frame is not a reliable ground on the 650.  That is why Suzuki runs individual ground wires to everything.  A number of folks have ended up with intermittent electrical problems when they have tried to use it as a ground.  If I were you I would either run that ground wire all the way back to the battery or find one of the black with white stripe wires that serve as a ground for something else and splice your ground into it instead of using that bolt on the air box.  You may never have a problem with it but you might also be going down the road and have everything attached to the plug stop working. 
bikerdoc
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 02:11:46 PM »

One of the folks on BurgmanUSA said the same thing, so the swap is planned. Thanks for the advice.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 04:04:29 PM »

Yes I saw that post on BurgmanUSA this morning.  As you may have noticed, I'm active on that board also.   
lasereddy
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 10:42:13 PM »

Hi, my Burgman 650 has neither headlights working. Only Passing Light. Fuses are OK. Any suggestions?

Lasereddy
St. Maarten
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 11:12:16 PM »

If it an 05 or later 650 then your problem is likely the starter button.  When you press the start button a cutoff switch in it turns off the headlights while the starter is cranking.  When you release the button the lights should come back on.  Sometimes that cutoff switch sticks and they do not.  You may be able to get it working again by spraying some contact cleaner or WD40 into the starter button and working it a time or two.  If not then you will have to take the switch apart and fix the switch. 

It's also possible that a wire leading to the high low beam switch has come loose.  That has also happened on s few bikes.  The starter button is the more likely culprit though.  A little probing with a test light or multi meter can tell you for sure. 
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 11:16:35 PM »

Here is a thread from BurgmanUSA about fixing the starter switch.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48924&p=526131&hilit=Starter+Button#p526131
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »

And this thread talks about fixing the wire in the dimmer switch.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33051&p=308376&hilit=dimmer#p308376
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: