December 15, 2018, 01:38:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pilot Sport SC by Michelin - Burgman 650  (Read 6495 times)
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 316
-Receive: 774

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« on: September 07, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »

Tire discussions seem like oil discussions..everyone has their own opinion.  When reading below kept that in mind. It is merely my opinion based on how and where I ride.

After much reading and seeking the advice of others I decided to go with a set of Pilot Sport SC tires for the 650.  It seems most Burgman 650 riders  like the Pilot Sport on the rear and the OEM Battlax on the front.
I almost went this way until Craig (Buffalo) said, the Pilot Sport dives into corners more a sports bike feel.

Hearing that I decided to try the complete Pilot Sport set up.  I figured if worse came to worse I would remove the front tire and go to what most others have.

THANKS CRAIG!!!!!!!  OMG, I LOVE THIS SET UP!!

I had the best ever ride yesterday. For the first time in 27,000 miles I had total confidence in the twisties with the Pilot Sport.  We rode to Bixby yesterday (our version of the Dragon).  The ride was effortless.  This tire just pulled me into the turns.

I thought my mind was playing tricks on me so I had Freak (Ed, our Goldwing, Motard, Harley etc etc rider) ride my bike.  He reported back how much better the handling was.  

maggies 650 handles very nice with that new tire     i like it , turns in fast and secure. less work to pull the bike through the corner with that tire, just lean the bike and it falls right into the turn.

I of course can not report on wear yet but to be honest I don't care if I get less miles... I would change this tire 4 times a year (if need be) and be happy given the new confidence.

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004120532&codePage=2092004120532_13092004100158&lang=EN

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »

I wanted to add that 95% of my riding is done on back roads (twisty roads) and not the interstate or a corn field road. I did ride up Hwy 21 a bit yesterday and the tracking on a straight road is differing.
JET 07
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »

From what I seen in front of me and in my mirror on yesterdays twisty ride, your 650 handled like a charm and dove right in to the turns like a champ!  
I was amazed by the complete control it had around the twisty,s    

Ride on, awesome you got your new tires on..
BradinBurnsHarbor
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 14 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS, 09 Burgman Exec (white), 08 Scarabeo 500ie (red), 07 Vespa GTS 250 (silver)

Thank You
-Given: 44
-Receive: 32

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 04:15:11 PM »

You sure this isn't "kid with the new sneakers syndrome?"  As a kid, I always thought I could run faster the first day I was wearing a brand new set of sneakers.   

All jesting aside, this is good information to know.  I assume, all makes of rear tire wear out faster than the front on a 650, how many miles have you been getting per tire Maggie?
johnp
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »

I used Pilot sport tryres on the Nexus and they were ok but Bridgestone give you more confidence in the bends and the wet.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »

You sure this isn't "kid with the new sneakers syndrome?"  As a kid, I always thought I could run faster the first day I was wearing a brand new set of sneakers.  

All jesting aside, this is good information to know.  I assume, all makes of rear tire wear out faster than the front on a 650, how many miles have you been getting per tire Maggie?

Brad, I seriously thought that was what it was till I let Freak ride the bike.  I thought well they are *new*.  But when I hit umm well..umm well over the speed limit tracking him back in double apex curves and the tire just stuck, no hop no nothing, I was sold!

I got 13,500 miles twice out of OEMS.. probably about 500ish to many miles to be honest.

But I am learning with tires NO one rides the same of even the same sorts of roads even.

We are going to Eureka Springs next week..riding there then riding about 350 miles a day while there.  I am so looking forward to it on these tires!

Confidence goes a long long way.... for now these have the Maggie stamp of approval for the way I ride.
PoKev
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 06:33:12 PM »

Is this the radial version Maggie?  If so, I wonder if Michelin redid the rubber compound.

I ran the front Michelin Pilot Sport Radial 3 years ago and didn't like it at all.  There were so many complaints on the tire that it's my understanding Michelin stopped making the tire (at least for a while).  If they've improved it then Michelin will have a worthy contender, as they do make some really sweet handling tires.  I love the Michelin on the rear and depending on how the 'new' Bridgestone holds up, I'll have no qualms running the Michelin in the future.

As for the turn-in or oversteering, it comes down to what an individual prefers.  Coming from riding mountain bikes and not sport bikes, I tend to want the bike to respond to my input (however much or little is needed).  This allows me the feedback necessary to feel the road.  When the bike wants to dive in I feel the need to work against that, whereas if used to that 'sport bike' feel I'd use it to my advantage.

Good review, thanks.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »

Yes sir it is radial. 

I feel just the opposite, I felt when I hit a curve doing 60ish, I really had to fight with the OEM. This tire was just pulled me into the lean, allowed me to hit the power button going in, release it in my apex then coming out punch it and attempt to stay up with Freak (of course Freak toyed with me and let me keep up)
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 169

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 07:04:09 PM »

Maggie, given that you are accustom to the quicker handling of the B&W I'm not surprised that you like the Michelin on the front of the 650.  I'm happier with the combination of the Michelin rear and Bridgestone front because it gives me handling that is somewhere between two Bridgestones and two Michelins and that suits my taste better.  I'll put up with having to put a little more pressure on the bars for initial turning to get a little more straight line stability.  But then even on our back roads down here we have to traverse a few more miles of straight road to get to the curvier parts than you do up there  .      

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 142,272 miles
06 Burgman 400, 49,466 miles
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 07:09:48 PM »

Craig, that is what I told Pete... I felt like finally I was riding a bigger version of the Bet and Win.  It did what I wanted it to do but at greater speeds.

As I said I am learning more and more that tires are conditions people ride in and their style of riding.

But thank you again so much for saying what you had said to me in a PM about the Pilot Sports.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 07:15:25 PM »

Yes like a lot of things with bikes, which tires you run on is very much a matter of personnel preference.  What works for one may not for another and vise versa. 
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 05:42:20 PM »

OK after all that "love" I thought I had posted my hate

Went back to OEM (twice since that original post)

It wasn't that they wore out quickly it was that they wore in a cupping fashion.  I always had the feeling Craig was alluding to above. 
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 06:20:54 PM »

Was it the front tire that cupped? 

From mine and a couple of other folks that I ride with's experience anything other than the OEM Bridgestone front tire has a tendency to cup.  Robin even ran the Bridgestone Battlax BT011 front tire that is designed for the T-Max on her bike and it cupped.  It is the same size radial with the same speed and weight rating as the OEM Battlax TH01 designed for the 650.  The difference is it has a profile more like the one on the Michelin.  I think the cupping has something to do with the more rounded profile of these tires compared to the flatter oval shape of the OEM TH01 tire.  Something about how it interacts with the rake and trail of the 650's front end. 

That's another reason I run the OEM Bridgestone front paired with the Michelin Pilot Sport rear.       
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 06:33:29 PM »

Yes was the front.  I always felt like I was in diving mode the more they wore.  If I hit a road groove, forget it I felt as if I was going over!

Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 06:50:16 PM »

That's kind of how Robin felt with the BT011 on the front of her bike.   If you order front tires for both your T-Max and 650 at the same time make sure you don't get them mixed up when you have them mounted. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: