October 16, 2019, 07:19:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Orleans  (Read 1592 times)
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 224
-Receive: 363

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« on: April 29, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »

Serena and I just got back from a trip to New Orleans.  She had a conference and I was just a hanger-on.  I didn't rent a bike this time which I kind of regret but there is enough to do in New Orleans that I wasn't too disappointed.  I should also add that I didn't bring our camera so these are cell phone pics, they are okay but you can see the images really get blown out especially at night.

The New Orleans PD patrols the streets of the French Quarter on scooters.  Vespas and Piaggios are their rides of choice.

The Natchez Paddle Boat docked on the Mississippi.  This was quite a sight and even better sounds.  There is a pipe organ on the top and if you look closely top center you can see the organist and the steam coming off the pipes as he is playing.

I took an afternoon to check out the Aquarium of the Americas.  It is very nice and the first thing you see upon entering is the aquarium tunnel where you walk under and through a very large tank.

This is the very beautiful Hotel Monteleone.  Inside they have a carousel bar that revolves around the bartenders.  It takes 15 minutes to make one orbit.  It made Serena sick so we hopped off after half way around.

There are incredible street musicians everywhere.  This horn group even had a dance couple bouncing around to the tunes.  I don't think they were part of the band.

These guys had a really unique sound.  Most of their instruments are hand made.  The guy on the left played a hand saw with a violin bow.  The third from the left played a stand-up washtub bass and the last on the right played a washboard.

These two were the best musicians I saw on the streets.  A clarinet, trombone and clapping for percussion.  The man on the left had a powerful bluesy voice.

You could tell this guy had been working as a street entertainer for years.  Had an entire routine down pat and was very interactive with groups stopping by.  He played the water glasses and also explained the technique and history of his art.

Bourbon Street.  Walking with open alcohol is permitted, at least in the French Quarter if not the entire city.  Lots of people partying and lots of drunks.

An old soda fountain in the Pharmacy Museum.

The trephination Drill used to relieve pressure in the head by creating holes.  Also in the Pharmacy Museum.

I don't know if you can read this but it is a chart created by a physician on the effects of alcohol and a persons state of well being.  Some dubious research to be sure however based upon what I saw on Bourbon Street maybe there is some truth to it.

We spent a day at Jazz Fest.  Very cool festival with some amazing musicians.  Jazz, Blues, Gospel, Zydeco, Rock and Alternative bands were at the different stages.  This photo is from the Gospel Tent.  Also great creole festival food.

The tree lined Espinade Street.

Lafittes Bar, a very popular building in paintings and photographs in the many galleries.

One of the many streetcars.  I didn't get a chance to take one for a ride but looked like a fun way to get around.

Had a great time and would like to go back soon.

Practicing Normite.
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 394
-Receive: 199

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 04:01:56 PM »

Man you sure do get around!!!  Some more great photos even if they were taken with a phone. Thanks for sharing!!

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 351
-Receive: 826

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 04:12:43 PM »

The trolley shot belongs in a tourist magazine!  Thanks for taking us along!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 28

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »

You remind me that this is one of my bucket-list destinations.  Even the phone shots are motivating, thanks so much.

Black '08 Exec named Caracal: Black (with pink trim) is the new fastest color.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:49:26 AM »

Thanks guys.  Robin isn't New Orleans close enough for a road trip?

New Orleans may now be my favorite city.  It's a toss-up between New Orleans, London and Washington DC.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 171

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:19:30 AM »

I remember taking a day ride on the steamboat in New Orleans back in 1960's.  I don't think it was the Natchez back then though I believe it was built in the mid 70's.  I think the boat they used back then was called the Delta Queen but I wouldn't swear it. 

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 145,705 miles
06 Burgman 400, 50,473 miles
Robin
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 28

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 02:24:50 AM »

Robin isn't New Orleans close enough for a road trip?
It is indeed.  I've only been there once, decades ago, and on business so I didn't get out much.  I was working at the Hilton and the people there took me out to the quarter one night, that's it.
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2005 Burgman 400; 2003 VTX 1300

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 203

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 03:05:19 AM »

No pictures of beignets?
masscoot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1993 Tomos A35 Top Tank (sold) 1984 Honda Aero NH125 (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 85
-Receive: 100

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 03:16:23 AM »

We did a family reunion that started and ended in N'awlins in 2009.  We stayed in the quarter and saw most of the sites.  My favorite was coffee and beignets at cafe DuMonde and the WWII museum.  The steam organ on the 'Natchez' can be heard from most places in the square.  Great selection of pictures and places Dan!

Paul

MA-PGR Rider
2003 FSC600D Candy Glory Red, Givi TB19, JCWXL Topbox w/custom leds, ISO grips, LED fog lights, custom 4-way strobes, custom LED marker lights, tailpipe bling, Garmin SP2610, Airhawk, Dr Pulley Sliders 22gx28g, K&N Air Filter, brake light modulator,
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 04:01:29 AM »

No pictures of beignets?

No but I did share a plate of them with Serena.  I did get a photo of a bird that was eyeing up our beignets.
davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1967 Yamaha 305, 2007 Piaggio X9 500, 2007 Ninja 500R, 2003 SV650

Thank You
-Given: 121
-Receive: 118

2003 SV 650

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 05:47:22 AM »

great post Dan, thanks

It's amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets credit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: