August 29, 2014, 01:12:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: real dual headlights for the TMAX  (Read 2016 times)
Tmaximus
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: yamaha 125cc enduro, 440cc Kawasaki, 400 Yamaha maxim, 1000cc Honda Showow Aero, 1600cc yamaha Roadstar, 400cc Yamaha Majesty, 1900cc Yamaha Stratoliner, 1600cc Honda Goldwing, 125cc Yamaha Vino, and 500cc Yamaha Tmax

Thank You
-Given: 12
-Receive: 0

2009 Tmax

Email
« on: December 08, 2011, 08:25:44 PM »

I am looking for a true dual headlight that both lamps will go from dim to Bright. Anyone know of an aftermarket company who sells a plug in unit
The fact that the dim headlight does not go to a bright and the bright headlight is off when dims are lite is the most stupid set up I have ever encountered. I have seen the video to run a pigtail, but still the dim light stays on dim.
Some help is what I need... any takers

Blaine
2009 Tmax
puddleduck
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:40:04 PM »

the Yamaha zuma, or BWS 50 had the same setup and someone sells a kit. there also DIY mods available online so maybe you can track those down...
imnts2
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:41:34 PM »

I would be a little converned about the ability to generate the electricity to keep up with the elecrical needs of the bike. particularly with and older battery and with much idleing for traffic on a scoot that requires good voltage to run the EFI.  Frankly. I figure the factory engineers are not intentionallly stupid.

cheers
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 125

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »

Imnts, you have a good point and the electrical system should be checked to ensure it has enough capacity to handle running the extra light.   

However, the reason they are that way is because it is a European standard and Yamaha didn't see fit to make a special version just for the North American market.  That is true with a lot of bikes.   

When Suzuki first re-designed the Burgman 400 in 2007 they set up the lights to the European standard with no North American version.  After a year of complaints they added a version for North American models that runs both lights on high and low beams.   

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 111,586 miles
06 Burgman 400, 41,519 miles
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 125

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »

Tmaximus, the problem you may run into is that even though you install a blub in the dim side that will switch to high beam you may still not get a true high beam.  It will depend on if the reflector in the light is set up to handle both the pattern for high and low beams.  If it isn't what you could  end up with is basically a brighter low beam because it will still be reflected on that pattern. You could even end up with a light that cast a pattern off in some weird direction. 

This happens because the filament for the high beam is located at a different position from the filament for the low beam so the light from it hits the reflector at a different angle.    That is how you get a light that shines down and to the right on low bean and up and straight in front on high beam. 
Tmaximus
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: yamaha 125cc enduro, 440cc Kawasaki, 400 Yamaha maxim, 1000cc Honda Showow Aero, 1600cc yamaha Roadstar, 400cc Yamaha Majesty, 1900cc Yamaha Stratoliner, 1600cc Honda Goldwing, 125cc Yamaha Vino, and 500cc Yamaha Tmax

Thank You
-Given: 12

2009 Tmax

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 02:25:54 AM »

i believe the reflector is different, I wish I could find an entire new setup to switch it over to as well
SteveZ
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: A lot of Yamahas and one Harley

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 04:02:25 AM »

Have done the "dual headlamp" mod discussed on a couple of other boards and the results IMHO are fabulous.  The mod is basically a jumper running from the right headlamp low beam wire (blue wire) to the open slot in the headlamp plug on the left side. 

You can still flip the high-beam on, but not recommended to keep it on very long because of increased internal bulb heat due to two filaments burning inside the left lamp when high beam is switched on.  The new low-beam lighting pattern is not intense on the left side, but there is definitely a further beam center-front.  Also, the "being seen" factor has definitely increased by having the second headlamp lit during daytime riding.

The mod may not be for everyone, but since my night riding has diminished a lot, the increased daytime "being seen" factor and the broader lighting pattern of the low beam (for the rare times I'm out at night) made it worthwhile for me.

2009 Blue TMAX
Givi Touring Windscreen, Givi Passenger Backrest, ProPad GelCel Seat, Dual Headlight Mod, Vibration-Activated Security Alarm, CrampBuster
MoganDavid
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 01:28:37 AM »

Steve, when you say "right", do you mean from the rider's perspective?
Is somebody marketing the jumper with the necessary plugs or spades or whatever attached?  I think I'd like to do the mod.
SteveZ
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: A lot of Yamahas and one Harley

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 01:58:21 AM »

For clarity, as you are seated on the bike, that "right."

If you search on YouTube under "bigwheelsturning tmax" you will find a video on how to do this mod.  I did not take off the panels and was able to remove the left plug with no trouble.  On the right side - was able to access the blue wire cleanly.  I got the 90-degree connector (used for the left plug) at Radio Shack and soldered it to the jumper wire (which has an in-line fuse).  Used a couple zip straps to secure the jumper along the harness. 

Hope that helps a little.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: