June 20, 2018, 05:57:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tires for the Silver Wing  (Read 8983 times)
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 107
-Receive: 176

Email
« on: October 07, 2011, 04:12:09 AM »

Brought my Silver Wing home today from the shop that installed new tires. I decided to try Motorcycle Superstore's program of purchasing tires and having them shipped to a contracted shop near my home.

The Pirelli Diablo tires cost $105.98 delivered and the installation cost $130.89 for a grand total of $236.87. Although the rear Hoop was fairly well worn, at least it wore evenly. The front Hoop demonstrated a similar uneven, cupped wear pattern as that described by others (mostly in the silverwing600.com forum), but it appeared to have more remaining tread depth than the rear. For just about the entire time with this set of Hoops, the Silver Wing had a noticeable but controllable handlebar vibration at highway speeds on the old tires, and I mentioned this to the shop owners. It wasn't a problem at lower speeds.

Riding home on the new tires, I was anticipating the handlebar vibration to resume. Odd as it may seem, I was wondering why the vibration didn't resume before assuring myself this was a good thing. I must have reached the point of perceiving some vibration as "normal." Perhaps one ride home isn't enough to draw a lot of conclusions, but my first impression of the Pirellis, as well as Motorcycle Superstore's program and the shop that performed the service, is a good one. The shop, Iron Horse Repair in Gettysburg, PA, is a place I will gladly look to for future motorcycle service.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
masscoot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1993 Tomos A35 Top Tank (sold) 1984 Honda Aero NH125 (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 85
-Receive: 100

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »

nice report!  Nothing like a fresh set of rubber!

Paul

MA-PGR Rider
2003 FSC600D Candy Glory Red, Givi TB19, JCWXL Topbox w/custom leds, ISO grips, LED fog lights, custom 4-way strobes, custom LED marker lights, tailpipe bling, Garmin SP2610, Airhawk, Dr Pulley Sliders 22gx28g, K&N Air Filter, brake light modulator,
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 218
-Receive: 355

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 04:06:44 PM »

Very interesting redeye.  Hope the vibration is gone with the new tires.

Practicing Normite.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 06:35:37 PM »

Commuted to work today on Revere and found myself cruising along at 75 mph indicated on one road. The speedo is about 5 mph too optimistic, so it was probably more like 70 mph actual. I didn't notice my speed at first but, with the vibration now completely gone, Revere is a much smoother feeling ride. Fortunately, no one who might be writing tickets was around, but I'll have to pay more attention to my speed.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 301
-Receive: 703

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »

Before I recently changed my tires on my Bet & Win I had a violent shake at about 45mph.  All gone with the new tires... the dude that changes my tires said I had lost a weight on the front. 

Glad your vibration is solved!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »

The shop used "DynaBeads." I've heard the name but don't know much about them. The owner said to bring it back if I wasn't satisfied and he would do something else. So far, I am a DynaBead fan. If they were ever in my tires before, I didn't realize it.

I give the shop owner a lot of credit for listening to his new customer. That will make me a repeat customer.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 301
-Receive: 703

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »

We use to use dynabeads all the time until we switched to a new shop and they don't believe in them.  So far so good.  I think it is one of those what do you want dyno or synthetic oil conversations...

Just glad it is helping you!  Bottom line..
avachava
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 03 SWing, 08 Kawi Classic 900LT, 08 Versys

Thank You
-Given: 114
-Receive: 15

Never ride faster than your angel can fly!

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »

I've been using Shinko's on my various bikes to good effect.  They are about $20 cheaper and my dealer friend swears no comebacks/problems in 5 years.  He told me Yokohama set up the plant in Korea and they are producing first rate rubber.  The new rear on the SilverWing rides and handles as well as anything else I've tried.  Wet weather performance is also as good.  Nothing like a new rear to perk up the SWing's handling!

Time flies like an arrow;
Fruit flies like a banana
scootnal
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 11:31:45 AM »

I have put Ride-On in my tires, I change them myself and have no vibration. Also have found that Dunlop tires last much longer than anything on my Silver Wing. The last time I changed the back tire, there was a nail in it and it never lost any air. I changed it after 16,000 miles.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 93

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 08:14:08 AM »

I just changed the tires on my Silverwing about ten days ago in San Diego.  I took youyr suggestion, (Steve) and bought Pirelli Diablos.  I bought them through a local shop by calling ahead and getting a price quote.  He charged me the same price as MC Superstore but added sales tax and charged me $80.00 for installation.  When he had the wheels off he told me that my brake linings were down to the last ten percent and changed those too $110.00 for both front and back including parts.  I rode the bike around San Diego for a few days checking everything out and then rode it home from San Diego to Chicago.  I took the bike on local San Diego twisting roads, through two thousand miles of interstates, up into the mountains between El Paso and Carlbad as well as through the length of Arkansas 9 from north of Little Rock to Missouri and through a Texas rain storm.  Through all these conditions I had superior traction and handling.

I appreciated the suggestion as the bike never handled the road near as well on the OEM tires I'd used before that.  I can't comment yet about longevity but the ride is much improved.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 02:55:41 PM »

Nice to read, Richard. Although I no longer own the Silver Wing, tires and vibration were never again problems for the remainder of my ownership and several thousand miles of riding after installing the Diablos. As mentioned in the early posts over a year ago, the shop that did the work then is the one I still use. Sounds like you had another memorable adventure riding from San Diego to Chicago!
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 93

Email
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 09:00:50 AM »

It was memorable.  The Silverwing handled it fine and I learned the virtues of electric heated gloves.
LDB
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 03:09:24 AM »

$131 installation? Wow, that's a lot. How long did it take them?
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 03:25:22 AM »

$131 installation? Wow, that's a lot. How long did it take them?

Now this is getting close to three years ago, but if memory serves I dropped off the Swing and picked it up either later in the day or the next day. Not sure the actual labor time. On the prior occasion replacing tires, I had the work done cheaply at a shop I no longer use and regretted the transaction long afterward.
avachava
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 03 SWing, 08 Kawi Classic 900LT, 08 Versys

Thank You
-Given: 114
-Receive: 15

Never ride faster than your angel can fly!

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »

Tire update:  Finally decided Shinkos are good in every way but longevity.
Much as I like saving money on something that wears out WAY too sooon
(all bike tires), the frequency of expense was overcoming the savings!

When Michelin finally came out with a Commander II in my wife's size,
I had two matching tires installed on her bike.  They reportedly go
twice the miles of the standard, Metzler.  I think Michelin is about to
turn the motorcycle rubber industry on it's ear with these.  Outstanding
handling and braking with wet weather performance to match.  I so
hope they come out with this tire for the SWing...

I opted for a different route on the cruiser I ride.  Since the tire we
removed from Susan's front matched mine, I had an oversize rear
Metzler installed.  It is massive and just barely clears the frame
but in addition to adding a fraction to ride height and cornering
ability, it almost completely fixed the speedo error!

It will be interesting to compare longevity on the new tech
Michelin vs. the oversize Metzler on those two bikes.

The other bike, a Kawi Versys, has that cool, dual-compound
Dunlop but I don't ride it enough to determine if tread wear
is going to live up to the hype.  That is the tire I would put
on my scooter if it were available.

Hope everyone is dodging the storms and having a great
riding season (for you seasonal riders).
wyd
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: xs400, CB750F, FZR600, FZ6, ZX6RR, KLR650, VStar 1100

Thank You
-Given: 38
-Receive: 8

wyd10
Email
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »

Redeye I been looking into some new sneakers for my Majesty.  I'm about 99% sure I 'm going with the Michelin Power Pure SC tires.  I been wanting Michelin tires for one of my bikes for the last 10 years but I generally don't keep them long enough but this time I will be getting new tires on my Majesty.  The other 1% is possibly the Diablo tires.

I know where Iron Horse is.  Its a small mom and pop type place in Gettysburg.  Not too far from the Battlefield Harley.  Just by the name never thought they would work on a scooter as that is mainly a Harley area around Gettysburg (notice the heavy oil trails )lol.

Mine: 2009 Yamaha Majesty 400
CBailey Windsheild, Sheepskin seat cover, 46L Yamaha Trunk
Dads: 2006 Morphous and new 2012 Burgman 400 (8-28-14)
CBailey Windshield, Sheepskin seat cover
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 10:45:11 PM »

Jim and Dave at Iron Horse look like tough guys (and maybe they are) and the clientele tends to be equally tough looking. Dave, on the left of the picture in the link...

http://www.ironhorserepair.biz/aboutus.html

...is about as decent a fellow as you'll find with a wonderfully dry sense of humor. Jim is probably just as decent, but I don't know him as well. Iron Horse has worked on my Yamaha Morphous, Honda Silver Wing and Yamaha FZ-09. When I had the FZ-09 there for rear tire replacement earlier this month, there was a 50cc scooter awaiting its service. You might have to look over or around the Harleys to find other motorcycles, but I believe they work on anything with two wheels. Some of their restoration work is worth stopping by to see.

I trust Iron Horse's work, so I keep going back. I have no doubt they would happily work on your Majesty.

Just by the name never thought they would work on a scooter as that is mainly a Harley area around Gettysburg (notice the heavy oil trails )lol.

You're right. Riding in and around Gettysburg frequently, I often end up somewhere in a swarm of Harleys and I'll just go with the flow. Surely I look odd enough on a red Yamaha "sort-of-but-sort-of-not-a-sportbike," but that and the neon hi-viz jacket and helmet combo hopefully garner some "that-guy-does-his-own-thing" respect in an ocean of black motorcycles and black leather.

I respect them. They seem OK with me. It's all good. But it does have some hilarious moments.  :D
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 35

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »

One of the guys on the Majesty Forum put Power Pure tires on his Majesty, after I posted a link about them, as they have a claimed much better mileage, with their multi-compound design. Verdict? He got WORSE mileage than OEMs. OOOPS!

He went BACK to Diablos...

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, sintered pads, Pirelli Diablos, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, shortened factory mirrors, custom tail tidy, custom graphics, River Road touring luggage side cases, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
masscoot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1993 Tomos A35 Top Tank (sold) 1984 Honda Aero NH125 (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 85
-Receive: 100

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 11:36:31 PM »

I just installed a set of Power Pure SC on my SW only have 136 miles on them so far.  It could be my imagination but the bike feels different, good different.  The front wobble is completely gone, and the counter steering is easier

I wasn't crazy about the Hoops, and the Metzlers lasted about 9000 miles (both pairs).  I wanted to try something different so when the Pilot Power Pure-SC became available in my sizes I snagged a set to try.  My other choice was the Pirelli's.

Steve I agree, Motorcycle Superstore has been great to work with.  After I confirmed that they had both tires in stock, they delivered them in three days!
wyd
Scooter Senior

Thank You

wyd10
Email
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »

Interested in how your Power SC are for you in another few hundred miles. 

Redeye that is too cool.  Sounds like you have a great place to go.  I still go to my local dealer as I know the mechanics and been dealing with that Dealership for about 20 years now.  They have never given me a reason to leave.  Maybe I can find cheaper but since service has been good to me I will continue to use YCH for my work.  Finding a place you trust is tough sometimes.
ferret
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 10

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »

I use the power pure on my srv 850 and must say its a great tyre and when compared to the pirelli diablo it replaced its a revelation ,better grip wet or dry ,faster turn in and 25% better milage .
LDB
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »

I've only seen prices for a friend's Harley tires recently until looking up prices for the Power Pure for my SilverWing. A set is about $133 which might barely pay for one of his tires.
wyd
Scooter Senior

Thank You

wyd10
Email
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 12:55:38 AM »

Just looked up the Michelin Power SC and a new set to me is fairly cheap at 133.50 to my door for my Majesty.  Only have a little under 6k on my stock Dunlops but they been on since 2009 and I would like to freshen my tires up some.  I think in the new couple of weeks I'm going to order set.
Cube
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Silver Wing, 2018 PCX150, 2000 BMW R1100R

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 7

Email
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 03:25:40 AM »

I realize this is an older thread, but I just mounted Diablos on my Silver Wing (and the GF's) and can't be happier.  The OEM IRCs were cupped and generally just crappy, while the Diablos have as much stick as I can handle.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »

I realize this is an older thread...

Bringing an older thread back to the surface with new information is great. Thanks for the update, and I'm pleased your new tires are as excellent as I recall mine having been back when.
pallettman
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 1

Email
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 06:53:33 AM »

IRC's have been stock on a Honda Big Ruckus and my Majesty. I've had very good luck with them. They have given me the most mileage of all the tires, even Michelin. But, alas, just when I need new tires, they quit making them. I've got 13K on my Maj now, and still have 4mm of tread left. I'm guessing around 2K left. But I've got a new pair of Diablo's in the wings waiting to go on. Have heard good things about them.

Cube
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Silver Wing, 2018 PCX150, 2000 BMW R1100R

Thank You
-Given: 2

Email
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 07:25:12 AM »

My Honda dealer had IRCs, couldn't get anything else for the s'wing tho.  Wound up at Bike Bandit for the Diablos @ $142 a set shipped.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 47
-Receive: 84

Email
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 02:32:29 PM »

The Diablos are a great tire and stick like glue. The only downside is they tend to wear rather quickly, especially once you get below the halfway mark. I completely corded the rear tire on my Majesty@ 6k miles. The last 2k miles wore really quickly, but part of that was due to riding the lovely chipseal roads of Missouri.

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: