July 18, 2019, 10:08:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: possibility of buying piaggio used x-9 500  (Read 9583 times)
roboscoot
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:04:11 AM »

i would like any feedback on buying a used x-9 500....its in good shape ....low mileage and just serviced...i know it has been replaced state side by bv 500,,,,but would it be a good buy if i could get it for under 3k?..(its a 2005)

i have been told it is a lot more maneuverable and user friendly than its major competitors...i am 220 lbs and just a shade under 6 feet...i plan to keep my ms3-250 hyosung....dry weight about 350 lbs.....

i would welcome the good and the bad re ownership....by all means your honesty appreciated.....ps....i am perfectly satisfied if i get 50-55 mpg.....thanks roboscoot
johnp
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 05:59:36 AM »

I had 3 x9'2 in my time and loved everyone of them, the thing to watch out with is electrical problems which seems to be it's downfall as mechanically they are great.
davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1967 Yamaha 305, 2007 Piaggio X9 500, 2007 Ninja 500R, 2003 SV650

Thank You
-Given: 121
-Receive: 118

2003 SV 650

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:05:55 PM »

I enjoyed mine but the issue of parts availability and service was the issue for me.
As far as the scooter itself I loved it.

It's amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets credit.
roboscoot
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »

thanks johnp.....anything efi/ecu is always problematic....the few occasions i had minor electrical glitches i was fortunately in my driveway and not ...out on the interstate some where....
MikeO
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 13

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 11:43:20 AM »

All you need to know (and how to fix it) here:

http://www.x9ownersclub.co.uk

Mike.
2014 Honda Silverwing 600  - 'The Crowman' - Black, Givi AirFlow Screen, Wind Deflectors, Givi E52 Topbox, AF214 Screen & Universal Muffs.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Member of X9 Owners Club, Silverwing600 & Maxi-Muppets
davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

2003 SV 650

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 04:22:32 PM »

one of the best owner sites around and home to some highly knowledgeable and entertaining members as well, right JohnP
johnp
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 09:44:14 PM »

So i must be the highly knowledgeable and entertaining member then.
roboscoot
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 01:34:57 AM »

mike o....thanks for the link.....thus far what i am getting ...is they are great rides .....of course you get the occasional complaints re servicing and dealership issues......and the problem that they are not very customer oriented (once the bike is purchased and out the door...but hey....piaggio has got a lot of company in that regard.....
MikeO
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »

It's a pleasure; do join the site and have a good read.
Dave Milnes is a genuine authority on the X9 - he does all his own servicing and repairs, stripping his bikes down every year for thorough overhaul and preservation, not least because he enjoys doing so.
He also knows all the alternative replacement parts (what bits fit other bikes) so that if Piaggio parts are not readily available one can be back on the road quickly.
There are other knowledgeable members, too; even I know a few of the answers.

As has been said, Piaggio are not the best for after-sales service but there are some good dealers about in Europe.

Spares can be obtained from Easyparts in the Netherlands, too.

You probably know already but the Evo models do need access to someone with the diagnostic computer in certain instances.

If you do register on the X9OC you will receive a warm welcome - be aware that you'll need to make two posts before you can access the whole site. It's by way of spamming protection.
It's also nice when, if people do have problems and are given help, they report back with their solutions - this often benefits others with similar ones.
roboscoot
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 07:58:14 AM »

thanks all....that piaggio site is terrific..looks like there was a recall related to fuel pump and the electric/automatic center stand.....i first saw the scooter on craigs list... the seller had it sold but the deal went sour,,,,,but he has reduced his price.....claims to have 1900 miles on it....it's an o5......

i would be a serious buyer at about 2500- 2600 .....
davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

2003 SV 650

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 09:32:01 PM »

the fuel pump should be the only issue that concerns you
don't think alot of the other stuff was available in North America
MikeO
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »

I doubt you'll have any difficulty with either.

However (I lifted this directly from the X9OC forum) :-

It is a well documented fact that a slow engine warm up and/or cool running can lead to over-fuelling on the fuel injected models. The ECU continues to feed rich mixture to an engine which is warm enough not to need it, but is not hot enough to satisfy the ECU programming map.
The result is unburned fuel tends to get past the piston rings and contaminates the oil in the sump. The oil pump has a plastic drive gear and the fuel causes the plastic to go brittle, resulting in the break up of the drive gear, and total loss of oil pressure.

To avoid this scenario, ensure that the cooling system thermostat is in good order and of the latest higher temperature design. Both 500SL and later Evo models have a revised thermostat which opens at 90 degrees rather than 83 degrees. There is also the possibility on very late 500SL and all Evo models, to have a revised engine mapping programmed into the ECU by a competent Master dealer using the dedicated diagnostic tool.
A good thermostat should quickly lift the engine temperature into the centre of the gauge, and it should never drop below half even at high speed. Part numbers are on the home pages
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 188
-Receive: 219

generic

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »

I doubt you'll have any difficulty with either.

However (I lifted this directly from the X9OC forum) :-

The ECU continues to feed rich mixture to an engine which is warm enough not to need it, but is not hot enough to satisfy the ECU programming map.
The result is unburned fuel tends to get past the piston rings and contaminates the oil in the sump. The oil pump has a plastic drive gear and the fuel causes the plastic to go brittle, resulting in the break up of the drive gear, and total loss of oil pressure.

I'm inclined to think, in this age, I shouldn't have to compensate for an ECU not designed to handle most normal parameters, nor the installation of plastic gears in an IC engine that react adversely to contact with a petroleum product. Though I don't imply Piaggio any more likely to such than others.

If you stand for anything, you have fallen for something.
MikeO
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 02:55:30 PM »

It was found to be a problem so Piaggio uprated the thermostat and cured the problem.
I assume other manufacturers do the same in similar circumstances.
davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

2003 SV 650

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »

I find it difficult to accept that they would use a plastic part in a place that really cannnot be accessed.
Remember reading on the X9 forum of someone driving down the highway and suddenly losing power.
When the oil plug was removed they found the dreaded white plastic "teeth" which meant the engine was history.
Bad design.
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

generic

Email
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 08:26:18 PM »

I find it difficult to accept that they would use a plastic part in a place that really cannnot be accessed.
Remember reading on the X9 forum of someone driving down the highway and suddenly losing power.
When the oil plug was removed they found the dreaded white plastic "teeth" which meant the engine was history.
Bad design.

I'll second that emotion.
Again, not implying Piaggio is any more inclined than others, but, if changing the thermostat opening was all they did, appears, to me, a cheap and probably inadequate attempt that would most likely only delay the adverse affect on the gear until past the warranty period. One, if the temperature gage is able to read increase in temperature and a temperature sending unit is on the engine side of the thermostat seems an intermediate stage could be added to the FI mapping. Second, I've always thought some amount of raw fuel most always enters the crankcase after each engine shutdown, if that is the problem with the plastic gear, seems delaying the inevitable rather than a solution.
MikeO
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 10:53:10 PM »

Oh - for goodness' sake!

Are you really trying to say that there are no American- built vehicles that haven't had parts which have needed to be upgraded and which are always in a readily-available location?

When the US- manufactured maxiscooter is exported to Europe, I'll buy one and examine it thoroughly; wait a minute, there isn't an American maxiscooter. Is there an American scooter even?

It has just crossed my mind that the 777 is 50% plastic. Is that wise?

msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

generic

Email
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 02:45:46 AM »

Geez Mike relax. You got any quaaludes over there? I said, I wasn't implying Piaggio was any more inclined than any other company. Every company has had it's share of goofs. We don't need no scooter companies, just the expectation we'll get a quality product from our European, Japanese and Taiwanese friends and that when they goof they will stand up and do the right thing instead of making us eat the loss while they do a little 'warranty doesn't cover that' song and dance to the bank with our money.
   I certainly hope that if it's discovered jet fuel adversely affects the plastic on a 777 the corrective action isn't 'Try not to get any jet fuel on it.'
davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

2003 SV 650

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 03:33:53 AM »

It has nothing to do with nationality just bad design, kind of like the stopper bolt thing in the Burgman 650.
I just don't think that when you sit around the table deciding on how you can be competitive with your pricing that you save 10 bucks on the manufacturing costs of an oil pump in a scooter with an MSRP of $7,995 Canadian in Kingston, Ontario.
When the plastic becomes brittle and fails the motor seizes.
Don't care what flag that conversation takes place under, it's stupid.
roboscoot
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 04:25:15 AM »

wow...i did not think this topic would create such consternation.....either way appreciate all the input but i decided against purchasing the  piaggio scooter....mainly because i just bought a new downtown 300i.....but will be looking to buy another used at some point as a back up ride.........thanks again robo....
davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

2003 SV 650

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 04:14:28 PM »

I have a used one in the garage.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print