June 26, 2019, 05:37:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MP3  (Read 2494 times)
Three not 8
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:17:19 AM »

So, in keeping with the three wheeled world, I am considering an MP3. There is an 09 400i with <5k miles here. So,any and all, what do I need to look for? Cautionary tales? Warnings? I told you so? Like I said, just considering.

Patrick
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 126
-Receive: 184

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 01:40:17 PM »

Although you risk losing the opportunity if someone else buys the MP3, you might get a better price after the summer is over. I have some concerns about the long-term maintenance of the MP3's front suspension and Piaggio service support in general, but those are admittedly based on others' observations rather than my own experience. On the other hand, the MP3, like your Morphous and Spyder, is a visually unique vehicle even to the casual observer. That trait is something I find very appealing.

As a fellow Morphous owner, I find your vehicle selection process to be far above average.  :D

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
MikeO
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 13

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 12:16:58 AM »

A good friend of mine has owned a Fuoco, the MP3 500, for several years and has experienced no major problems with it and he rides his bikes hard!

They tend to suffer from the usual Piaggio electrical glitches - with the MP3s it's the tilt-lock mechanism which is a (relatively) weak point.

http://modernvespa.com/ has a whole section devoted to the MP3 and has some extremely knowledgeable people posting. There is a large US contingent there.

Mike.
2014 Honda Silverwing 600  - 'The Crowman' - Black, Givi AirFlow Screen, Wind Deflectors, Givi E52 Topbox, AF214 Screen & Universal Muffs.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Member of X9 Owners Club, Silverwing600 & Maxi-Muppets
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2005 Burgman 400; 2003 VTX 1300

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 203

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:34:09 AM »

http://modernvespa.com/ has a whole section devoted to the MP3 and has some extremely knowledgeable people posting. There is a large US contingent there.

I agree, check out what these folks have to say.  The MP3 was one of the first scooters I looked at.  I was fascinated with the front end technology.  At that time, I was spooked by the whole Piaggio support problem that seemed to be prevalent at the time.  Also learned about the Burgman there, which I appreciated.
johnp
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 05:17:39 AM »

Find out the servicing costs as they are quite high here.
Three not 8
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:37:14 AM »

Late breaking news! The 400 that was here sold and besides, the shop is out of business Vespa wise. For some unknown reason, they have elected to concentrate on Chinese Mopeds and a few Hyousung(sp?). Meanwhile back at the ranch, I am about to pull the trigger on a low mileage 08 250. Price is right, checked vin for any recalls or warnings out there. Should the deal go through to my liking, expect pics in a few days. Here goes!!!

Patrick
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 333
-Receive: 813

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 12:28:20 PM »

Nice!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Three not 8
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »

Well, never mind. The drawback to trying to do business remotely is just that..remote. Turns out that a guy was looking to buy the MP3 and hammered out a deal minutes after I talked to the dealer in Florida. Cash talks,bike is now his. In time, there is probably another one out there. After all, I've seen 2 bargains recently, they just slipped through my fingers. Maybe I'll just save my nickels and dimes and buy another Spyder. Get the RS this time. WOOT and all that.
Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: