August 18, 2019, 07:37:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What the????? Spongy brakes  (Read 2692 times)
davemac
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:31:08 PM »

Just thought I'd share something and see what everyone thought.

I use my X9 all year round. It is my only private mode of transport and as a result is out in all weathers.
We had an unusually hard winter here this year, with quite heavy(for ireland) snowfall. This meant that the X9 was garaged for about 2 months.

I had it back out on the road in january, followed by another week off the road as the static rollerstripped itself on the drive shaft. All fine so far.

About 2 weeks ago i was heading into the city and was approaching the off ramp for my work place. It was raining so I used the left hand brake to scrub off some speed. It felt extremely soft in my hand and came back much easier then usual. I released it and reapplied it and it felt fine after this. All seemed fine so I continued on to the office and arrived safetly.
At lunch i decided to check the brake system.
Fuild- fine.
brakelines-fine no sign of any leaks.
Pads, fine, plent left front and back.

Everything appeared to be ok, but this happened again on a few occasions over the last 2 weeks.

On sunday last i decided to strip off the exaust back box to treat it and give it a coat of UHT paint, due to the amount of salt on the roads over the winter it was starting to look a bit shaby and I could see rust starting to form.

Imagine my suprise at the sight I was greeted with:

The castle nut, cover and split pin on the exaust side of the rear axle were gone.

This appears to be the cause of the spongy brakes, as the wheel was moving down the road it was pushing the pistons back into the calipers, increasing the travel of the brake lever.

I have done a small bit of research on the net and found that another X9 owner has experienced this, so i thought id post this here to perhaps help anyone else who may experience these symptoms.

(P.S I apologise for my spelling, I know its rubbish) :D
Kiwiscoot
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Honda Lead 125, Suzuki GN250, Xingyue XY150T

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 18

Life's good!

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 03:32:16 AM »

Phew just as wel you checked

2003 Honda Deauville NT650V - "The Deau"-25000 miles
SYM Citycom 300i - 48000kms/29000miles+ of trouble-free fun! Sold
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 351
-Receive: 817

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 03:45:15 AM »

Wow, glad it stayed together for you to find sooner than later.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
johnp
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 06:23:08 AM »

Good job you checked it properly as you never know what might happen.
davemac
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 06:52:58 AM »

The strangest thing about this is the fact that the assembly failed in the first place.
The wheel hasn't been off the bike in 11 months as the tyre has held up nicely, and it was correctly torqued up by the workshop, and a new split pin was put in.

I checked the assembly when it came back from the workshop, and again 2 weeks later, replacing the split pin after checking the nut with a torque wrench.
The split pin was the correct size, as far as i could tell(checked it against the one that come out) and all was good.

The only thing I can think of is that the amount of road salt corrroded the split pin causing it to fail.

It is now on the weekly check list to check this area.
My only concern now is whether or not the movement of the wheel has put strain on the engin mount bushings.
davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1967 Yamaha 305, 2007 Piaggio X9 500, 2007 Ninja 500R, 2003 SV650

Thank You
-Given: 121
-Receive: 118

2003 SV 650

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »

I haven't heard of a split pin failing.  Could it have been missed when replaced or was the old one re-used instead of using a new one.  The act of straightening the legs of the pin to remove and then bending them again after installation could cause the metal to fail at the bend.
Just a thought.
My remedy to the issues with the X9 was to use a Ninja 500

It's amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets credit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: