September 23, 2017, 12:22:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My other hobby, obsession is more like it.  (Read 42639 times)
bdesj
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 2006 Majesty

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 13

Email
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »

It sure looks nice, KCP.  Strangely, it`s the looks that I miss most since I smallified my stereo system a few years ago (sold off the cool old stuff I had bought new in the 80s and bought a low end modern compact receiver/CD player with a set of mini speakers).  The new system sounds good enough for me, but it just seems to disappear into the shadows.  Well, I guess that`s what I was aiming for.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 213
-Receive: 347

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 06:12:42 PM »

Glad to see your set-up is complete... for now.  Where are your speakers located?  What is that more modern black box on the left side of the table?

Practicing Normite.
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2012 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tour, 2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 aka LS650, 2009 Piaggio BV250 (stolen by some worthless POS), Vespa S150 (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 9

Email
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »

It sure looks nice, KCP.  Strangely, it`s the looks that I miss most since I smallified my stereo system a few years ago (sold off the cool old stuff I had bought new in the 80s and bought a low end modern compact receiver/CD player with a set of mini speakers).  The new system sounds good enough for me, but it just seems to disappear into the shadows.  Well, I guess that`s what I was aiming for.

Thanks, I have always said older stereo gear was meant to be seen and heard. Can't wait to get the Akai and it's dancing VU meters back in the system.
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2012 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tour, 2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 aka LS650, 2009 Piaggio BV250 (stolen by some worthless POS), Vespa S150 (sold)

Thank You

Email
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 10:03:11 PM »

Glad to see your set-up is complete... for now.  Where are your speakers located?  What is that more modern black box on the left side of the table?

The speakers are about 4 feet on either side of the setup. With big speakers like the ones I have it's a good idea to have some space between them. Oh and the modern looking box is my 12 plus year old cd player. I actually plan to replace it some time in the next year or two. Should take me at least that long to get the bucks together for what I want. In the meantime the Denon will have to fill that spot in the system.

Guess I should actually do another new pic, I just bought an Onkyo tape deck to hold down the tape spot until the Akai is ready to return home. See this obsession never stops, you just keep buying stuff.... 
DonKincaid
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: SYM RV250

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 1

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 06:36:25 AM »

Great thread.

I still smile about my Nakamichi 550 Deck. Not using it. If I remember, they may be a problem with the transport. Should get it out and look it over.

http://www.oobject.com/8-classic-nakamichi-cassette-decks/nakamichi-550/2479/

- Don
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 10:51:32 PM »

Well the man-livingroom is finished for now. Needs a little work but the stereo part is complete. The Akai is back in it's place with another tape deck to keep it company. You might also notice there are two black boxes on the left side of the turntable. I decided to give a Marantz CD53 a new home the other day. This obsession is kin to riding, sometimes you just can't stop yourself.  In terms of sound the Marantz just kicks the Denon all over the living room. I'm going to have the Denon cleaned and put some new interconnects on it to keep it for when I just want to pile some cds in and listen without having to change them out for a few hours. Other than that the Marantz is my new regular use cd player.

kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 07:19:43 PM »

This project started almost a year ago and is complete.  Yeah right, lets say it's going into phase two. My "new" acquisitions this year are as follows Marantz 27 receiver, Sansui SC-3300 cassette deck, Fisher 80R tuner, a Rotel tuner, and a pair of KLH small speakers. Going to be busy this winter cleaning and fixing some of these, well at least Magnetic will be busy doing that. I will be busy deciding which to keep and which to sell or trade. I am sure the Marantz and Sansui are keepers but the others are probably sell or trade items. This obsession just keeps going and going. 
kelahoo
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2003 Honda Reflex (Sold), 2002 Honda Silverwing (Current)

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 5

Email
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 09:03:44 PM »

Now you can finish it off with this turntable : http://www.galibierdesign.com/prd_stelvio.html
I used to work with the owner of this company.  This is his passion.  He is a programmer by trade.  ;-)
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 04:45:52 AM »

I haven't updated this for a while and thought it was time. First I moved all my main gear into an old stereo rack I had here at the house. It still looks fine and does a nice job. Also the main system has gone though a few changes. I still have my Dual 1228 TT but on the main system now is a Rega RP1. I next added a Harman Kardon CD-191 cassette deck. On craigslist one day I spotted a Sansui SE-7 equalizer and added that to the system. Then for this year I decided on a new cd player, a Naim CD5i MKII. The Sansui 771 and Heathkit speakers are the only stalwarts still present in the main system. I am restoring a set of Polk Audio Monitor 5a's at this time to add to the system. They are keepers and will always have a place on some system of mine.

After I finish the restoration of the Polk speakers I will need something to do. My plan now is to begin to design and build a set of speakers just to see if I can do it and if I can make them sound good.

A picture of how it all looks. I was still putting some of the record collection on the shelf above the system when I took this picture.

Note sorry about the size of the picture when you click on the thing. A new editing software that I am still fighting with. I will be putting PS Element on this computer soon.
LDB
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2012 SilverWing

Thank You
-Receive: 2

Email
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2014, 06:48:21 AM »

One of my dad's good friends collected Macintosh stereo equipment in the '70's and '80's. He had about two dozen of them when I was visiting in 1975.
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda 70 Passport, Yamaha 185 Exciter, Yamaha 250 Exciter, Kawasaki 550LTD, Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, Yamaha Virago 1100

Thank You
-Given: 31
-Receive: 11

Email
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2015, 06:26:42 AM »

I've got to admit, I'm much too young to appreciate analog music

And i'm much too old to appreciate it.

That's because the sound quality sucked. I went from listening to 8 tracks as a kid to Youtube today and to say there is no comparison is a huge understatement.

For many years I was a recovering audiophile but my interest in it recently returned due to buying a pair of computer speakers of all things. I've owned equipment from about 15 different manufacturers, everything from Realistic to Bose.

Dan, were you able to sell your marantz speakers?

Bitch please
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda 70 Passport, Yamaha 185 Exciter, Yamaha 250 Exciter, Kawasaki 550LTD, Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, Yamaha Virago 1100

Thank You

Email
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2015, 07:00:30 AM »

I guess it's so long ago now you've forgotten
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 180
-Receive: 201

generic

Email
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2015, 09:08:49 AM »

I've enjoyed reading about your audio system. I've got a Philips 212 turntable, Technics SU-V9 integrated amplifier, a Dolby processor and few other gizmos and gadgets from the 1980's stored in the spare room closet, along with a couple hundred albums. A large percentage of my albums were purchased on the day they were released,  not because I just had to have the latest of some group but because in the U.S. record companies just kept stamping out copies on the same master so the first stampings were better quality. In Europe and Japan masters were replaced every 50,000 copies or so. When in Japan I replaced many of my earlier and over played albums. I only listen when driving any more and my ability to pick up the high end is long gone but I understand and admire your enthusiasm for quality sound reproduction. It's good to see some people are still interested in more than excessive bass.

If you stand for anything, you have fallen for something.
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2016, 10:12:23 AM »

Someone a while ago in this thread mentioned wanting an old cassette deck with Dolby NR. My first cassette deck in the 80's had Dolby C and there was no comparison between it and Dolby B. Dolby C almost seemed to restore the highs that Dolby B cut out while further eliminating tape hiss so it was a huge improvement and I only had a cheap Sanyo deck. I then got a Technics deck with Dolby B-C and HX Pro and there was no going back, it sounded better still. By the time Dolby came out with the noise reduction to end all noise reduction, Dolby S, CD's were taking off so the cassette tape was dying.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 59
-Receive: 93

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2016, 07:57:27 AM »

and.......

There are old scooter riders and there are bold scooter riders but there are no old bold scooter riders.
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

generic

Email
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2016, 10:09:19 PM »

and.......

and turntables; cassette and reel to reel tape decks and noise reduction devices followed the trail of Victrola's; console televisions; 8 track tapes, boom boxes and portable record players from closet to storage shed, to thrift store, land fills and the endangered species list. Only a few diehards and newly curious keeping the species from extinction. I might be tempted to join them if I could still hear anything above about 12 Khz.
  and then came I-pod, MP3 players, SD cards, thumb drives, etc. sending the CD player on the slow trail to endangered species. Maybe someday someone will discover how to add that 'elusive ambiance' of analog to digital or have they? I couldn't hear it any more anyway Maybe a Ron Propel. as seen on TV, elusive ambiance hearing aid.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 59
-Receive: 93

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2016, 06:57:13 AM »

Way back in the day a friend of ours bought into the quadraphonic hype and bought the whole system, turn table, tape deck, amp, speakers and stands. Then he threw a party for 40+ people and went around bragging about it to everyone. The only trouble was I'd pushed the "mono" button shortly after arriving and neither Rolf nor any of the other drunks there even noticed.

To "hear" stereo, even with head phones, you HAVE to be paying attention! Any other activity (like reading) will negate one's ability to audibly separate the channels. HiFi, on the other hand sticks with you.
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2016, 06:21:49 PM »

The best example of stereo i've ever heard is "Day Tripper" by the Beatles.

Nothing else even comes close.
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

generic

Email
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2016, 04:04:14 AM »

Not claiming it's the best but I still find Mike Oldfield's original recording of 'Tubular Bells' a nice stereo experience if you've got 26 minutes to spare (not the Exorcist sound track).
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2016, 10:35:56 PM »

Thanks, i'll go and play that right now. 
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 279
-Receive: 638

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2016, 11:35:17 PM »

Not claiming it's the best but I still find Mike Oldfield's original recording of 'Tubular Bells' a nice stereo experience if you've got 26 minutes to spare (not the Exorcist sound track).

+1

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2016, 07:55:26 AM »

I'm listening to Tubular Bells right now and the imaging isn't that great but it could be youtube because I noticed when I played Day Tripper some of the stereo separation was lost as well with youtube. I'm even listening to it through my Altec Lansing 4.1 speakers with the surround speakers cranked and while I can hear a bit of stereo separation it's nothing to write home about.

Do you have the LP version?
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

generic

Email
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »

I'm listening to Tubular Bells right now and the imaging isn't that great but it could be youtube because I noticed when I played Day Tripper some of the stereo separation was lost as well with youtube. I'm even listening to it through my Altec Lansing 4.1 speakers with the surround speakers cranked and while I can hear a bit of stereo separation it's nothing to write home about.

Do you have the LP version?

I do have the LP version but I was listening to it on youtube the other night and the separation seemed decent throughout but I was using ear buds with a finger on each keeping them well seated.
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 369
-Receive: 189

Email
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2016, 09:48:49 PM »

Recently I got rid of all the old 80's MCS Series system I had & got a Yamaha RX-A750 receiver that has more stuff to it that I'll ever be able to figure out! I have figured out how to run bluetooth through it. Along with a Sony 5 disc Cd player & a turntable for spinning the old LP's

I was a bit hesitant about parting with my early 70's Kenwood 660 speakers. When I took them to Sound World we hooked them up next to a set of Paradigm and all I could say was WOW! So I now have a set of Paradigm's along with a Paradigm Sob Woofer.

Before typing this I put in Mike Oldfield's Islands CD. I to have Tubular Bells. Islands is my favorite of the two.!

06 Burgman 650
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800      Elioite #684
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2016, 09:57:26 AM »

I'm not surprised you were blown away by Paradigm speakers, especially compared to an old pair of Kenwood's, Paradigm make excellent speakers.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: