January 21, 2018, 12:37:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My other hobby, obsession is more like it.  (Read 43187 times)
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2012 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tour, 2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 aka LS650, 2009 Piaggio BV250 (stolen by some worthless POS), Vespa S150 (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 9

Email
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:07:56 AM »

First off a link to a blog so I don't have to retype all that...lol :D

http://kcsstereorestoration.blogspot.com/

If you read the link I think you will get the idea. And it truly is an obsession. Music and a vintage Sansui 771 to deliver the sound. Any one know how to resort the posts in a blogspot blog so the oldest is first. It's annoying trying to go through that thing backwards just so it makes sense?  

The total system right now is: A Sansui 771 receiver with a Dual 1228 turntable my father purchased new in 1976, Denon DCM260 five disk cd changer that I added in 1997, two Heathkit AS-1373 main speakers also my father's that he bought and he and I built in 1976, two Paradigm Monitor 3se speakers that I just purchased this week to make the computer room in the basement more pleasant, Monster XP speaker wire to all speakers, and Monster interconnects piping the signal from the Denon to the Sansui. The Dual is not working right now but you have to read the blog to find out why. The system restoration is going to be my winter project and when finished will not really be finished.  That's because when you are obsessed with music and listening the way I am, you keep working and adding to the system or building another. It just never stops. 

Here is a teaser pic of the heart of the system:

davew
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 1967 Yamaha 305, 2007 Piaggio X9 500, 2007 Ninja 500R, 2003 SV650

Thank You
-Given: 121
-Receive: 118

2003 SV 650

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 06:29:03 PM »

very interesting

It's amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets credit.
joncallihan
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 01:02:08 AM »

Unfortunately, it seems that the "modern software engineers" think that the most RECENT thing is the only thing that matters.  I'm an old time (call that ancient) programmer (back in the day when user friendly meant programmer difficult) and it annoys me beyond belief.  If you stumble on a way to "resort" blog entries from first to last, please post it here in REALLY BIG LETTERS.  Thanks.
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2012 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tour, 2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 aka LS650, 2009 Piaggio BV250 (stolen by some worthless POS), Vespa S150 (sold)

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 01:33:43 AM »

Unfortunately, it seems that the "modern software engineers" think that the most RECENT thing is the only thing that matters.  I'm an old time (call that ancient) programmer (back in the day when user friendly meant programmer difficult) and it annoys me beyond belief.  If you stumble on a way to "resort" blog entries from first to last, please post it here in REALLY BIG LETTERS.  Thanks.

If I do find a way to resort the blog I'll be posting it here and might even shout it from the mountain top. The blog would just make more sense if I could sort it the way I am writing. Feel like that guy the way it looks right now. 
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 06:15:22 AM »

A little update here, I did find a solution on line for resorting the posts to a blogspot blog. Basically you can go in and change the date or time of each post to get them in the order you want. Problem is you have to do each individual post. 

Maybe when I am farther along in the blog and have some time to waste. Not worth all the work right now. Check out the link.

http://blogging.nitecruzr.net/2006/11/changing-post-date.html
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 10:04:57 PM »

Anyone have a nice vintage cassette deck they are willing to part with. Prefer Akai, JVC, Pioneer, or HK from the late 70's or early 80's wiith Dolby B. Other than that not a lot of specs that it has to have. Just be nice and cleans up well. If it needs a little work well I have people who do that.  

Oh and Denon cassette decks like the DRM-800 from the 90's work for me too as long as they are in decent shape.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 215
-Receive: 347

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 01:55:49 AM »

I know this doesn't help you but only a few years ago I had a real nice dual deck cassette player.  My musician roommate used to borrow it at times for recording.  Got rid of it when I finally ditched my old system, a Kenwood amp and receiver.  Still have the tower Marantz and Sherwood speakers sitting in my basement.  One of the Marantz has a short and sound okay at normal levels but the Sherwood sound beautiful.  I dismantled my old rack system to go simple but sometimes miss the old mountain of hardware.  Good luck with your system.

Practicing Normite.
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 03:40:04 AM »

Don't give up on that Marantz speaker, it's probably a better speaker than 90 percent of what is built today. Find a good speaker repair shop, if you don't know one I do. Unfortunately he is in Louisville, Ky. Shipping or taking it there is going to cost.  

I just lost out on two auctions on ebay yesterday for tape decks. One was a 1976 or 1977 vintage Akai that looked like it just came out of the box and the other was a top notch Denon. Unfortunately not too many cassette decks are being built now because of cds but I want one for my big old cassette collection and to also record my vinyl so I don't wear out my original records. Guess there is a better cassette deck heading my way if I missed on those two.  

Oh and I only go for single cassette decks, the duals just never were my thing.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 04:01:15 AM »

I used to make a lot of mixed tapes so having the dual deck was a must for me.

Have you considered burning the music from your vinyl to a disc instead of tape?

I'd rather not hang onto the speakers anymore.  Both sets are towers and I just don't like the bulk anymore... but those Sherwoods are really sweet.  Not sure I want to pack them up for the move to Boston.

I have a Yamaha theater system in the man cave, it sounds good.  The bookcase speakers at the front are decent but the rear speakers are only okay at best.  That's okay they are really only there for ambient noise in a movie.
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 05:54:23 AM »

I've looked into going to digital with the vinyl. The sound is good but some of the warm tone seems to get lost in the process. The other problem with tape is that parts and new tapes are getting tough to find. But I'm too much of an old fart to let that bother me. 

Looked at a nice reel to reel setup the other day and would have gone for it if I had enough green. Too bad Kentucky is not on your route to Boston or I might try to get you to drop those Marantz speakers off here. Maybe the Sherwoods too.  I'm just really getting back into older stereo equipment. I have added and will continue to add some newer stuff to my stereo. My newest part now is my speaker switch, before that it was my Denon cd player which is actually almost 14 now. 
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 03:22:54 PM »

Good luck with your build KC!  Keep us posted in this thread how things are moving along.  I would have gladly donated the Marantz speakers were we closer.
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 08:52:42 PM »

Well I reglued the dust cap on my Paradigm last night and then let the glue cure over night. Too bad the odor didn't disipate. Kind of stinky here in the basement right now but the speaker sounds great and that little buzzing sound is history. 

I'm not really sure where I would put a pair of Marantz towers so it's probably just as well I can't get to them. 

Oh and I just added a vintage Akai cassette deck to my collection. Pics coming as soon as it arrives. I'm having too much fun with this winter project.. nawwww one can never have too much fun.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 11:13:06 PM »

I'm not really sure where I would put a pair of Marantz towers so it's probably just as well I can't get to them. 

Yeah, they are big suckers! :D
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 09:58:02 PM »

My little red cocker spaniel seems to really like the stereo in the living room and those Heathkit speakers do sound nice. Look at her snoozing away.

kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 04:48:53 AM »

Well some updates to the blog I have been keeping. The biggest one is my "new" tape deck. A 1979 vintage Akai with those famed glass/ferite heads.

Not on the blog yet but soon to be the subject of a few posts is that next Wednesday the receiver is going in for it's checkup and cleanup. This will be a long three week wait and sure to spark some posts to the blog with pictures of empty whiskey bottes and beer bottles.   It's going to be tough living with just the Bose Wave to make music, but I should be able to survive.   Maybe?  

Praying for some decent riding weather as we speak. 
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 05:36:29 AM »

Cool KC.  I just sold my what I thought originally were Sherwood speakers turned out to be a Yamaha set.

They sold in about fifteen minutes.

Here are the Marantz I'm having trouble selling

kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 06:58:31 PM »

I can see the yammie logo in the pics of those speakers. Very nice and quite cherry looking too. I'm not suprised they sold fast. The Marantz speakers look very nice too and are more of a vintage set so you might need to look some where like AudioKarma where a lot of vintage seekers like myself hang out. Even if they do need some work I am sure someone there will be interested. The site has thousands of members and a good place to try. Contact the mods and see if there is some way you can either quickly join up or post in a non-members area. I'm a newbie on that site and still trying to find all the stuff it has to offer. They might be able to direct you to another site where you can post them as well. Good luck, I am sure they will sell if advertised in the right places.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 07:02:10 PM »

Thanks for the tip KC.

I was thinking of you yesterday when I was searching craigslist and found this item...

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/2148628304.html
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 07:08:27 PM »

That's a nice one, I have actually looked at several receivers in the Sherwood 7xxx line. They are very well made, good sounding (warm), and a nice buy for the money. That one is a bit more powerful than what I want. The 7100 to 7250 are the ones with the power I am looking for. It looks cherry though, bet it sounds great.

Good thing it's so far away from me, I don't need to spend the money right now. My Sansui is going in next week for cleaning and so forth. That's where my money is going for now.
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 03:58:52 AM »

Good news, I was in the repair shop today taking the tape deck in for work. While I was there they told me they were almost done with my receiver, much earlier than expected. Still some tests to do but it might be done by Friday or Monday. 

It's going to be great to have the music going again.
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 372
-Receive: 190

Email
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »

Very Interesting!! Years ago I had a "Portable" Teac reel to reel. Thing weighed a ton, But it had its own built in speakers so you could plug & play anywhere. Or plug it into your home unit.
Here is what I have in my Man Cave yet today. A set of Kenwood KW 660's I bought used from a fellow used back around 1974. I bought his whole unit. Which was pretty much JVC.
These speakers sound GR8! Yet today. They have "partied" themselves through the decades well. I can remember living @ the end of a dead end rd with the closest neighbor a quarter mile away. We would close up the bars & come to my place Set a campfire & drag out the speakers out on the porch & let them rip!
As you can see in the back there is 4 tone ajustments that are quite noticeable. Cabinets are mohagany.
Today I have them plugged into this MCS Series ( Which was JC Penny's signature unit) unit I bought some where around 1985.

I also still have every album I bought over the decades

06 Burgman 650
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800      Elioite #684
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 10:29:26 PM »

Lou I remember the MCS series systems and components.  I had wanted that myself but settled for a much cheaper entry level unit.
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 05:44:39 AM »

Well my mancave has two levels. Oh, the Sansui is back and I have Joe Satriani jamming right now.   

The lower level is a small room so a pair of Paradigm Monitore 3se's supply the tunes down here. The main mancave upstairs is where the Heathkit AS-1373's supply the tunes. Since my receiver just returned from a pretty major tune up, I am taking it easy right now and only driving one set of speakers at a time. Making sure I have everything set up just right. Joe is really playing his heart out right now. 

They did a fantastic job of tuning up my old Sansui. Everything, and that includes Satriani, sounds as smooth as silk.
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 06:05:08 AM »

By the way this is how a Sansui 771 is supposed to look. All lights in perfect working order.   Unfortunately I hit a little snag with the Akai tape deck. It just wants to visit the repair people again.   It shouldn't be lonely my Dual turntable is already in for work as well. Maybe they will make some music together, well if not there at least here.

Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 04:12:45 AM »

KC how do you find reputable service for these old electronics?
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 03:09:36 AM »

I have to admit finding a good service place isn't easy. Lucky for me we have a place here called Magnetic Tape and Recorder Company that has been around since the 1950's. The people there know the older stuff very well and even work on newer equipment. I've known about them for years and am glad I started taking my gear there for service.
Valalvax
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 03:46:07 AM »

I've got to admit, I'm much too young to appreciate analog music
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 185
-Receive: 202

generic

Email
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 08:09:02 AM »

Matt, you may be too young to be familiar with analog music but not too young to appreciate it. Though you may not appreciate it even with extensive familiarity, appreciation or lack of would not be related to age, youth Wise. Now myself, I'm too old to appreciate analog music, my inner ear is no longer capable of processing the high frequencies produced in analog, clipped in digital that allegedly add ambiance worth investing $150.00 in a diamond stylus every six months and still dealing with all the pop and hiss during subtle sections. Losing the ability to hear the highest frequencies is normal before age 20, which allows teenagers to install ring tones that are undetectable to their teachers. Females also hear 3-4K higher frequency than men, possibly because they aren't on the receiving end of as much screaming.
  The main appreciation of vinyl, other than cuts unavailable in digital, is membership in an esoteric cult of the emperor's clothes but it is very similar in nature to an appreciation of scooters and the alleged virtues making them superior to motorcycles. Beauty is in the eye of the beholders but without a consensus it won't get you in the movies. (one of them smiley thingies alluding to 'tongue in cheek' goes rycheer) This one I guess. 

If you stand for anything, you have fallen for something.
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 07:17:59 PM »

You're never too young to appreciate good music. I guess I am one of the fortunate ones that at age 47, soon to be 48, my inner ear can still process an almost full tonal range. When I get the Dual back and set up just swing on over here to Kentucky and I'll introduce you to the beauty of music that you have been missing.
kcphoto2008
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »

Well this project is finished for now. The tape deck is going back for another visit to the repair shop but all else is working fine. Last night I put up a new shelf on the wall for the receiver and then moved everything to where it is now in the pic. I have had a blast with this winter project and will enjoy it for a long time to come. There are still some additions planned but those are still for some time in the future.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: