May 22, 2022, 01:01:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kymco AK 550 bungee hook studs  (Read 220 times)
rjs987
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 64
-Receive: 10

Email
« on: January 15, 2022, 09:39:08 PM »

On both of my Burgman 650 scooters the underside of the passenger handles had two threaded sockets on each handle, one toward the front and one toward the rear, to put in some studs to hook bungee cords to for strapping stuff on the back seat. Bungee hooks also could simply hook around the edge of those handles since they were somewhat hollow on the bottom with support ridges that also served to keep the hook from sliding up and down the handle.

The passenger handles on the AK 550 are a bit more solid and thicker so a bungee hook just won't hook around them. I was looking a little closer recently while trying to hook on my cargo net and found that the bungee cargo net hook would hold just fine at the very front end of the grab handle. I could wrap the middle hook around the handle and hook onto a cross strand of the cargo net. But the rear hook was a problem until as I was messing around the tip of that hook grabbed onto something just behind the rear mounting point of the grab handle. Turns out there is a hole back there on the bottom side of the grab handle. I didn't look closer yet but if that hole is threaded I could add a hook stud there using a stainless bolt of the right size and a brass bushing for a spacer and a stainless washer at the bottom end of the bushing to keep a bungee hook from sliding off. This would be the same setup I used on my Burgman scooters even though there is a kit for those. I figure I spent about 4 times less than buying the kit by buying some bolts, brass spacers, washers and making it all myself. Kind of my thing.

Anyway, @Clampett, do you still have your passenger handles that had to be removed to install your top case setup?

/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard
rjs987
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 09:58:43 PM »

Found my inspection mirror so I went out to check out those holes on the bottom side of the passenger handles just behind the rear grab handle mount. They ARE threaded. Looks like M6 coarse thread bolt size. Maybe M8 but they looked a little smaller than that to me. After I get my AK back from the dealer for the warranty repair on the heated grips I'll remove the passenger handles and figure out what size bolt and length to get to put some bungee hook studs there.
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 31 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 131
-Receive: 121

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 12:40:49 AM »

Anyway, @Clampett, do you still have your passenger handles that had to be removed to install your top case setup?

Yes sir. I keep everything except the badging that is removed when I'm fiddling.
The Givi rack I installed has holes at both mounting points to hook a bungee in.
That how I make a seat belt for Panda ;)

I checked the hole. It is M8. Same as the bolt that mounts the rails.

--
Larry  
My Maps
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 175
-Receive: 250

Feelin' good.

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 08:10:50 AM »

I never had a problem getting the bungees to hold onto something. I've got the Kymco mounts and there's a ridge on the under side and/or a gap that I can loop the bungee hook through.
I'll have a look-see what's under mine when/if the sun gets up this AM.

---- update ---

The sun came up (as expected) so I went out but there's no way to get a photo of the underside of the grip bar. However, I felt underneath and found that the whole structure, except were the struts are, was concaved (really that's not a word?) with sharp enough edges to allow the bungees to find purchase. And, like I said, plenty of room in the gaps to pass the hooks through for more security.

__
Don
rjs987
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 07:19:24 PM »

The underside of my handles is exactly like what Larry showed. Doesn't surprise me that the replacement to the stock/OEM handles would be formed on the bottom to better enable a bungee hook.

I actually only use standard bungee straps for holding smaller loads for local short trips to the store. When I travel on camping trips I use ROK straps which are FAR superior to regular and even flat bungee cords. No hooks to mar the finish but soft web loops instead that I can loop around a bungee hook stud or around the grip handle as needed.
rjs987
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 01:42:32 AM »

On one of my rides I picked up a few supplies at the hardware store to put together the bungee hook studs for the bottom of the stock AK 550 handles.

I measured the depth of the holes to find that they are 17 mm deep. I also measured the distance from the holes to the body directly under them and figured out that what I needed were 2 stainless M8 x 30 mm x 1.25 pitch Allen cap round headed bolts. I also decided on using bronze flange bearings that are 3/8" id x 1/2" od x 1" long to keep the parts search simple. I had a few stainless 5/16 flat washers that would work also, but they were different sizes so I bought 2 stainless M8 flat washers.

I used my Dremel tool to cut off the bronze flange bearings down to 18 mm. That would leave enough thread left on the bolts to hold well in the holes in the bottom of the handles without bottoming out in those holes. Then I filed the ends of the bearings to smooth them out and get rid of any burrs. I removed the handles from the AK 550 to enable adding the assembled studs since the clearance is such that it is not possible to thread them in with the handles on the bike.

I attached some photos of the parts and the assembly.
The 2 bronze flange bearings are the 3/8" id x 1/2" od x 1" long item in the photo.
The 2 bolts are Stainless M8 x 30 x 1.25 pitch round Allen cap.
The 2 washers are Stainless M8 flat washers.
After cutting down the flange bearings to 18 mm length assemble the studs with the washer first then the bearing with the flange away from the bolt head, toward the handles.

* 100_4472.JPG (548.98 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 5 times.)

* 100_4473.JPG (567.08 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 5 times.)

* 100_4477.JPG (770.17 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 5 times.)

* 100_4478.JPG (843 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 7 times.)
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: AK 550

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 28

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 09:35:00 PM »

I really like the looks of the bearing with the blue of the scooter. Nice write up and pictures Bob. It could be worth implementing this for the looks alone.

CelticCross
rjs987
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 02:19:41 AM »

Wasn't totally liking the hex head bolts that I originally was able to find. So on my ride today I was able to stop by a Tru-Value hardware store which has a LOT more variety of bolts and such in stock than other stores I've been to. I picked up the round headed Allen cap M8 bolts same size as before and since the washers I had were not exactly the same I picked up 2 stainless M8 flat washers. I updated the post above with the current information.

I think it looks and worked out even better than the first setup.
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: AK 550

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 28

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 08:41:12 PM »

I agree - the round-head bolts do look better.
rjs987
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 01:27:03 AM »

When I found the threaded holes on the bottom of the passenger grab handles I figured there was either a bungee hook stud kit available or some other farkle option made by Kymco that uses those.
I was looking through the farkles available on Taiwan Big Scooter Shop for the AK 550 and notice that there is in fact an optional add-on that those threaded holes are intended for. The Kymco passenger back rest uses those to mount the back rest, and also to blend into the styling of the passenger handles.

Since I won't likely ever add that back rest I like what I did with those holes much better. Much more useful to me.

* kymco-oem-ak550-passenger-backrest-357_1024x1024.jpg (111.33 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 3 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: