May 22, 2022, 12:53:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another AK550 question.  (Read 115 times)
JaimeC
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 1999 BMW K1200LT, 2019 Yamaha XMAX 300

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 4

WWW Email
« on: January 13, 2022, 06:05:30 AM »

Actually, more than one:
1) What grade of fuel does it require?  Premium?  Or will it run on regular?
2) What kind of fuel economy does it get?
3) What's the range on a full tank of fuel?

Thanks in advance.  My XMAX requires 91 octane, but since it only takes 3.3 gallons if I drain the tank dry it's not that expensive to refill.  Yamaha claims 75mpg, but my real world experience has it averaging around 70mpg when I'm droning along the highway at 70mph.  That still gives me a range of over 200 miles on a single tank of gas.

My C650GT also required premium fuel.  It carried around 4.4 gallons if I remember correctly.  I usually found myself hunting for gas stations at around 180 miles.  I probably could've gone farther but the fuel level indicator got weird the lower the fuel level got and I just didn't trust it.

Jaime A. Cruz
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 175
-Receive: 250

Feelin' good.

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 06:29:39 AM »

I run my AK on the cheap stuff but there's no ethanol in it.
I'm getting a three year average of 44.3MpG but 90% of my riding is here in town.
Range??? 44.3 X Gal in tank

The owner's manual should be available on-line somewhere or I can send you mine but it's not the newer model that's floating around.

__
Don
rjs987
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 64
-Receive: 10

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 06:42:13 AM »

There has been some discussion here and on other forums about all that.
First about the octane:
The service manual, which I downloaded from the Kymco HQ in Austria (English version) is actually for the Euro 4 version of the AK 550 but I don't think so much has changed from that model that 95-99% of it is valid for mine (2022 USA model). I haven't found anything yet that is so different in the service manual vs my bike. Anyway, Europe/Taiwan and other countries all use different calculations to label the same grade of fuel. 95 octane in Europe and Taiwan is the same as 91 octane here in the USA. My service manual says 95 octane but I know that is not for the USA method of calculating it. My owners manual, which should be more correct, says 91 octane (premium). But wait, there's more. A sticker in the under seat storage box is actually more realistic specific for my model even more than the owner manual is on this point. That sticker says 87 octane. I don't know if there was an update to this from the Euro 4 version to the current version. Which there very well may have been. 91 octane in Europe and Taiwan = 87 octane in the USA. So have I confused you completely yet?

I put 87 octane in mine and there is NO problem using that. NO pinging (which is usually the first sign of using low octane when higher octane should be used) so I just stick with regular fuel.

Just filled the tank today. Cold temps will adversely affect mpg. By a lot if it is very cold, which is just the weather I ride in lately. My last tank of gas was 47 mpg and most of the rides on that tank were at temps well below freezing. This tank that I just refilled today gave me just over 52 mpg, some of this running at 65+ mph. Also, keep in mind that any NEW bike/scooter, or even car, will have lower mpg at first and that will improve over the first several thousands of miles. I've tested that theory a few times now since this is my third brand new bike over the last 16 years. I expect the mpg to improve for the first 6000-8000 miles better than it is now. When temps were warmer in the first few weeks after I bought mine on Nov 6 the mpg I was getting was around 54-57 mpg calculated. Cold temps brings that down a lot like I said. Oh, I don't go by the displayed mpg on the dash. That seems to show mpg based on Imperial gallons rather than USA gallons.

There is some debate about the tank capacity. I know it is not the same capacity as the Euro 5 model. That tank was shrunk to 12.5 L (3.3 gallons) to enable the equipment that makes it Euro 5 compliant. One member here did let his tank run dry just a few hundred feet from a gas station and put in 3.4 gallons to fill it. I am thinking of, when it gets warmer outside, draining my tank by siphoning out all the gas I can and then measuring how much I put in to fill it. That way I'm not running the fuel pump dry. The 2021 models were supposed to be 15L (3.9 gallon) so not really certain after that. My Burgman 650 had a 3.9 gallon tank and I have often gone more than 180 miles between fill ups and still had a lot left. Once I went over 209 miles on a tank but that one was close, I think I filled up with 3.8 gallons.

So far I've run just under 150 miles on a tank but I've not yet filled up with more than 3.1 gallons. The gas gauge is kind of funky as it seems to be on most bikes I've owned. There are 5 bars. The last bar is red. The first bar takes around 28-35+ miles to drop off. Then the next 3 bars seem to drop off rather fast, and not consistently for each bar. That red bar also takes more miles before it also drops off, more like the first bar. When the last red bar is left it flashes. When that last red bar drops off the red "E" begins to flash. It seems to be estimated that at this point there is around 13-14 miles left to run. But that may vary with the actual mpg or even possibly per bike. More experience is needed. Knowing what your fuel gauge is showing you, regardless how weird it seems to get, is very important. But I usually use the trip "A" meter to keep track of how many miles on the tank more than the fuel gauge.

Keep in mind that the XMAX is a smaller engine so obviously will get much better mpg. That's just how it works. I know in Europe there is a XMAX 400 for 2022 but in the USA it is 300. I think. Don't know if there is a 400 in the USA.

/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard
JaimeC
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 1999 BMW K1200LT, 2019 Yamaha XMAX 300

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 4

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 02:35:41 PM »

The only XMAX we get here in the States is the 300.  Thanks for your VERY detailed response.  It sounds like the AK550 has a smaller tank than the C650GT, but gets better fuel mileage so it should have about the same range.  The guy I ride with has a Honda Silverwing 600, and it doesn't get anywhere near 180 miles on a tank; I remember having to look for fuel every 120 miles when we rode together.

The K1200LT spoiled me in a lot of ways with its 6.6 gallon tank and nearly 300 mile range but my old rear end has pretty much had enough around 200 miles.  I do like the XMAX for its range and economy but I would also like the power to maintain speed on long uphills at highway speed.  That's why I'm paying so much attention to this particular Kymco.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 175
-Receive: 250

Feelin' good.

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 04:40:04 PM »

As far as "maintaining speed" I'll guarantee that the AK has what it takes to go up hills 'cause that's about all there are here in Greece. You're either going up or coming down! The highway speeds over here are higher than in most of the US too then, not many people actually follow them so if you're not doing 130KpH then you're a designated speed bump and should get over to the shoulder. The AK agrees 100% and will cruise all day at that speed and higher up, down, or across makes little difference.
rjs987
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 64
-Receive: 10

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 05:06:06 PM »

I'll second that opinion!
Been on the Interstate highways here in the states and have no issues maintaining 75 mph (120 Kph) and still have enough to blast past those others in the way... while going up hill.
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 31 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 131
-Receive: 121

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 01:05:28 AM »

1) Regular 87 octane U.S.
2) Economy: https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kymco/ak_550_standard/2022/willajabir/1107189
    The 50% city/highway is the default fuelly setting. Most of my miles are backroads/highways. Maybe 20% freeway. <---all personal guestimates
    #11 is when I ran out of gas with 193 miles showing on the trip gauge about 600 feet from the station.
     I usually use Chevron. Fillup #12 is my highest mpg which was the fillup with Shell 91 octane after running empty.
     All other fillups were with 87 Octane.
3) Range depends on temp and throttle hand. At 180 miles you are probably having the RED E flashing and reaching the pushing point depending on the mpg you get once it starts flashing.

I'm not 100% sure, but if I remember correctly, my GPS said that 193 odo miles was 187 and some tenths.

Edit: Not exact, but I multiply the MPG on the gauge by .8 and get really close to the actual mileage.

--
Larry  
My Maps
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 31 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 131
-Receive: 121

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 01:21:08 AM »

Range for other  big bore scooters:
I had 2 Silver Wings(2004 & 2012) and 1 Burgman (2010 or 2011....I'm gettin' old)
I would go over 200 miles regularly before fill ups on all three. Never ran out.
Max distance (on the trip gauges) was 224 on the Burgman and 235 on the Silver Wing.
I was expecting 200-205 on the AK thinking the tank capacity was 3.9 gallons.
If the tank is 3.9, then it isn't all usable.
Still waiting on Bob to verify with his own experience. After all, one test is anecdotal. Multiple tests are scientific method.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: