May 21, 2022, 11:48:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Hicksville, NY!  (Read 535 times)
JaimeC
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 1999 BMW K1200LT, 2019 Yamaha XMAX 300

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 4

WWW Email
« on: January 08, 2022, 03:18:52 PM »

Howdy all.  My first Maxi Scooter was a 2009 Yamaha TMAX.  That was an AWESOME vehicle but I stupidly traded it in for a 2013 BMW C650GT.  At first I was happy with my choice; I'd been riding BMW motorcycles since my 1985 K100 and had gotten used to them being reliable and durable machines.  I put 158,000 miles on that K100 before it was stolen after ten years of ownership.  I also have a 1999 BMW K1200LT that I've logged over 230,000 miles and it is still going strong.

Sadly, BMW Motorrad's management changed their philosophy at the start of the millennia.  They decided motorcycles that lasted a half a million miles was NOT conducive to their bottom line.  Instead, they started cranking out new models every year, and significantly changed their existing models in hopes of attracting those riders who changed bikes every few years.  The bikes only lasted a little longer than their warranty before they started requiring EXPENSIVE maintenance.

My C650GT left me stranded hundreds of miles from home at least once a year.  BMW's Roadside Assistance would get me a free tow to the closest servicing dealership, and the repairs would be performed free of charge BUT I still had to pay for my own transportation back home, and pay for retrieving the bike once the service was done; not to mention the time lost while it was being repaired.

Early on when I owned it, BMW issued a factory recall on the cam chain tensioner spring.  It would break or slip causing the cam chain to skip.  This would result in the valves slamming against the pistons and destroying the engine.  I had that service performed as soon as I got the recall notice and saved the receipts.

Two years after the warranty expired, guess what happened?  Yup, the "new and improved" cam chain tensioner failed, and the engine self destructed 250 miles from home.  Max's BMW in Connecticut picked up the bike (bless their hearts, they didn't charge me for that) and brought it to their shop.  Their mechanic diagnosed the problem and explained to me what they found.  I needed a new engine... a $4,000.00 expense (at the time) and that did NOT include the labor.  They TRIED to get BMW of North America to help out, but those sons of bitches were adamant:  The bike was too old, they would do NOTHING for me.  If they even offered to pay for the labor, I MIGHT have paid for the new engine and kept that rolling piece of S**T on the road, but no... they didn't want to know me. 

For 33 years, I was a die-hard BMW fan.  I was a member of their 400,000 mile club, I rode all over the country attending BMW rallies... for one summer I even worked at a BMW dealership and THIS was my reward for brand loyalty.  I signed the title over to Max's BMW and told them they should let their representative know that C650GT was the LAST BMW vehicle I would EVER purchase (no matter how many wheels it had).  If BMW were the last vehicle manufacturer on the planet I'd buy a HORSE.

My current scooter is a 2019 Yamaha XMAX 300.  It is a decent, RELIABLE mount and I've ridden it on some pretty long trips.  I love how much I can pack on it and keep locked safely out of sight.  The fact that I'm getting roughly 70 miles to the gallon even chugging along at 70 mph on the highway is the icing on the cake.  The problem is that in strong headwinds or long, steep uphill ascents it starts losing speed; and that's just with me aboard.  I wouldn't dream of riding this thing two-up on the highway for any length of time.

I've been watching the evolution of the TMAX over in Europe and I've been salivating over the latest iteration but Yamaha apparently has NO clue on how to market this thing here in the States and just gave up trying.  Suzuki no longer brings in the big Burgman either.  I'd about given up hope on getting a decent maxi scooter until I learned about the Kymco AK550.  I joined this forum to learn as much about that scooter as I can.  Even better, I just learned that Kymco introduced an "ST" version of the scooter that matches, if not outright BEATS the TMAX (and those shitty BMW scooters) in features.  I'm really hoping they bring that one to the States but even the current version of the AK550 looks attractive.

I've been riding motorcycles since 1982.  I was a certified MSF Instructor/RiderCoach from 1990 up until 2011 when I let my certification lapse.  Nice to meet you all.

Jaime A. Cruz
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 175
-Receive: 250

Feelin' good.

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 03:48:10 PM »

Welcome to the party. There are 3 of us here with AK550s. I'm in Greece and am nearing the 3 year mark with mine. Be advised, however, if you finally decide to get an AK of your own it will have to be blue 'cause what we've learned about them may not apply to any of the other colors.  

A local guy, over here, had a YouTube channel where he rode his AK all over the place. You may want to have a look-see if it interests you. He's moved on to a BMW cycle so... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa3EZuWfn7wVgzbBe8PcDOg

Welcome again.

__
Don
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 53
-Receive: 142

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 05:09:20 PM »

Welcome Jaime! I was wondering how long it would take for you to find us (from that almost dead Yamaha site). Things are sometimes slow during winter, but you'll find a good group of people with a lot of knowledge and skills here.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
 ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶650
 ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶4̶0̶0̶ ̶X̶2̶
Honda Silverwing
Morphous 250
sonuvabug
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 24
-Receive: 29

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 07:37:59 PM »

Welcome aboard the board JaimeC.

2016 Matte Gray Suzuki Burgman 400 (herz) - 12,000 km.
2009 Wineberry Red Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 13,700 km.
JaimeC
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 1999 BMW K1200LT, 2019 Yamaha XMAX 300

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 4

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 09:12:38 PM »

Welcome Jaime! I was wondering how long it would take for you to find us (from that almost dead Yamaha site). Things are sometimes slow during winter, but you'll find a good group of people with a lot of knowledge and skills here.

It is pretty dead over there, isn't it?  I'd posted over there asking if anyone knew anything about the AK550 and didn't get much response.  I figured there HAD to be a Maxi Scooter forum of some kind SOMEWHERE on the internet.  Google got me right over here.  As soon as I saw people discussing the AK550, I knew I had to join.  Sadly, the mainstream motorcycle press ignores scooters so you REALLY have to dig to find out ANYTHING about them.  It was just a chance article at Motorcycle.com that even made me aware of the existence of the AK550:

https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/top-5-maxi-scooters.html
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 31 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 131
-Receive: 121

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 10:58:31 PM »

Welcome aboard. This place is super friendly, but kinda small.
To see a LOT of posts about the AK, go over to the Adv forum in the Battle Scooter section.
Multiple threads for the 2021 & 2022 models. Lots of reading, problems, complaints, compliments, praise, questions, etc. just like other forums.
2021 AK has 2 different shades of gray (grey?). The 2022 is Matte Blue. The 2022 specs claim it is the same as the 2021 but the gas tank is .5 gallon smaller and is E5(Euro standard) compliant.
All the  accessories still fit the same. The ST model will have electric windshield and cruise....IF it makes it here to the states. To me, it wasn't important enough to wait for it.
I've had bikes with them before. But should those features be a requirement on your list, then you may want to wait and see.

And as Don said, the Matte Blue is the proper choice. hahaha. But had I known the tank was smaller, I would now be riding the gray 2021 because the extra half gallon was on my list.

But make sure to stay here as this will be a sweet community regardless of your ride.

--
Larry  
My Maps
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 31
-Receive: 203

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 11:23:56 PM »

Welcome from Kentucky!
rjs987
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 64
-Receive: 10

2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 01:03:17 AM »

Welcome here Jaime!

I am one of those AK 550 owners here. I come from bigger bikes and have been slowly downsizing in engine size and overall weight. Started doing that after owning a GL1500 Gold Wing. Not yet ready for anything smaller than my 2022 Blue AK 550. I still like the performance to be there that I'm used to and it is with the AK. I try to title all my threads (now) with "Kymco AK 550..." just to help those looking for threads on that scooter to find them. Yamaha makes a good scooter as does Honda and Suzuki and, yes, Kymco.  :D

My last bike was a 2013 Burgman 650. I would have no hesitation to taking my AK out on the super slab and have done so a number of times. I ride solo but I'd ride those roads 2 up without any issues. I agree with having some apprehension about doing so with a 300. Although I know some riders do it.

/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: