May 22, 2022, 12:50:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short ride on the AK550 video  (Read 680 times)
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 31 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 131
-Receive: 121

« on: November 14, 2021, 10:33:23 PM »

Made a short video of my first ride outside of my local area. Only 200 miles. Condensed into a 5 minute video.
The sound was all wind noise due to the camera being on the side of my helmet. I'll try to mount cam on the chin bar or else where in the future for capturing the bike sound.
If you don't like music, mute it.
It's been so long since I made a video, I had to consult youtube tutorials again   
https://youtu.be/4ybFdla6ozg

--
Larry  
My Maps
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 02:28:46 AM »

Visited 3 covered bridges near Oneonta (Swann, Easley, and Horton) on Amira (AK550) today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSyxSCDE5Nk
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 175
-Receive: 250

Feelin' good.

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 06:27:15 AM »

Good job, Willa! Uncle Jed could never have done that good a job. 

__
Don
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 04:44:27 AM »

Longer ride still condensed into 5 minute video. I rode from Gardendale to Philadelphia Mississippi.
Started the camera at Gainesville, Alabama and kept it rolling until I came back through there on the ride back.
Been having a discussion on Advrider about the tank capacity of the 2022 version of the AK here in the USA. Well, I found out how far I could go.
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 06:06:28 AM »

A ride to Walnut Grove:
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Feelin' good.

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 06:18:23 AM »

Thanks for the ride along!
But are you sure that was the REAL Walnut Grove??? I didn't see a single squirrel and you'd think they'd be EVERYWHERE in a place called Walnut Grove. :D
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 08:13:09 AM »

Har har Don and thanky.

I was experimenting on ways to post videos.
If I post a link, Tapatalk shows the video but desktop doesn't.
If I embed, Tapatalk shows nothing but the desktop does.
I'll post the link in white text and it'll only show on Tapatalk then I think.
Trying to make post appear on both platforms correctly.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: AK 550

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 28

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 08:22:28 PM »

I enjoyed the videos. How many of the photos taken on your rides will we see in Scooter Tag?

And do you have a thread where you discuss your accessories? Have you found the Noodoe nav feature sorely lacking or just prefer using the phone for nav feature?

Thanks

CelticCross
rjs987
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 64
-Receive: 10

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 09:28:08 PM »

I enjoyed the videos. How many of the photos taken on your rides will we see in Scooter Tag?

And do you have a thread where you discuss your accessories? Have you found the Noodoe nav feature sorely lacking or just prefer using the phone for nav feature?

Thanks

Did you read my thread on testing Noodoe navigation?
http://maxi-scoots.com/scoot/index.php?topic=10224.0

I have determined that Noodoe navigation is not close to having the vast flexibility or number of features found in dedicated GPS units. It is similar to Google Maps navigation which I have been using since 2018 exclusively. There are a few things that Google Maps is better at for navigation and a few things that I really don't like about Google Map navigation. Noodoe is way better at those things I don't like about Google Maps navigation but there are a few quirks to work with as I mention in my thread on it. I consider Noodoe navigation to be a very basic navigation system. It will work within its limits. I don't need anything more fancy than what Noodoe offers so for now I am happy with Noodoe navigation as far as what it does.

/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 07:18:09 AM »

Did you read my thread on testing Noodoe navigation?
http://maxi-scoots.com/scoot/index.php?topic=10224.0

I have determined that Noodoe navigation is not close to having the vast flexibility or number of features found in dedicated GPS units. It is similar to Google Maps navigation which I have been using since 2018 exclusively. There are a few things that Google Maps is better at for navigation and a few things that I really don't like about Google Map navigation. Noodoe is way better at those things I don't like about Google Maps navigation but there are a few quirks to work with as I mention in my thread on it. I consider Noodoe navigation to be a very basic navigation system. It will work within its limits. I don't need anything more fancy than what Noodoe offers so for now I am happy with Noodoe navigation as far as what it does.

Yes sir.
I've tried it again a couple times on long ride tags here in the state tag game. It does work. The best thing is if I only have my phone, I can use Noodoe to save on battery life by using the scooter display.
I don't like the Google maps because I go places without signal. If I know it ahead of time, I can d/l the maps of course.
But I started using Magic Earth with OSM downloads. Then I got my maps at all times. Can choose the route same as Gmaps and set waypoints if you want to change the route as the example you gave in your write-up.
And I started keeping the USB cable on the bike so I never have that worry about phone battery depletion.
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 04:39:48 AM »

Bob, I did read your comments. Your reply in this string I found easier to understand than the one regarding your testing. I learn best when I perform the function and wonít have my scooter for a few weeks yet and was simply looking for another perspective given we all donít have the same needs/likes. What you are attempting to accomplish with Noodoe is far more complicated than anything I have done with a nav system. I typically just set an end point and if I deviate, let the system alter directions to get me to the desired destination or create a new map.

I am also interested in knowing why hand guards were added vs. the Givi windscreen, which I have been told provides much better wind protection for the hands, because it is cheaper/provides better wind protection/dislikes overall size of Givi/etc. and whether the butt bumper was replaced with a back rest because the bumper didnít provide the desired back support of simply esthetic preference.

Thanks for what ever you can offer. I may be slow but I do learn eventually. Safe riding.

CC

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Feelin' good.

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 07:54:29 AM »

I've got the Givi windscreen and I use it (usually) in the winter as it does provide better overall protection but I still put on the muffs for my hands.

The small butt-bumper is gone! It was just the right height to hit me in the coccyx. I've, recently, found out about a guy that makes custom seats for the AK and will be looking into that and Jed's backrest.
rjs987
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 64
-Receive: 10

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 06:39:19 PM »

Bob, I did read your comments. Your reply in this string I found easier to understand than the one regarding your testing. I learn best when I perform the function and wonít have my scooter for a few weeks yet and was simply looking for another perspective given we all donít have the same needs/likes. What you are attempting to accomplish with Noodoe is far more complicated than anything I have done with a nav system. I typically just set an end point and if I deviate, let the system alter directions to get me to the desired destination or create a new map.

I am also interested in knowing why hand guards were added vs. the Givi windscreen, which I have been told provides much better wind protection for the hands, because it is cheaper/provides better wind protection/dislikes overall size of Givi/etc. and whether the butt bumper was replaced with a back rest because the bumper didnít provide the desired back support of simply esthetic preference.

Thanks for what ever you can offer. I may be slow but I do learn eventually. Safe riding.

CC

You'll have to get your answer from @Clampett on the handguards.
Personally I don't mind wind. My gear protects me from temps when it gets cold, other than the hands/fingers. So I am opting for Kemimoto handlebar mitts to use with the heated grips for cold weather riding. I actually like the stock screen. It works fine for me. But that's just me. I know some riders like to feel like they are totally enclosed and isolated from any wind... even though they are riding a bike.

As to simple navigation. Everyone is different there too. I only insert waypoints between start and destination to force the routing to roads I prefer when I travel long distance. I like to stay off the Interstate highways. But sometimes I do only set the destination and let the navigation system recalculate when I deviate like you mentioned. Usually for short runs. I find Noodoe will do that. The only time I had an issue with it is when I set Noodoe to "Avoid Highways" which it litterally tries to do. When that option is set Noodoe will continually attempt to get you onto local roads, even gravel roads since it doesn't know what is or is not gravel (My old Garmin GPS and also Google Maps don't know either). Noodoe will balk any time you get on the Interstate with that setting and will quit navigating. So I leave the "Avoid Highways" setting off since I don't know when I'll jump on the Interstate for a short run at any time. I think I mentioned that there is a way to set a quick route with a destination at the moment you climb on the bike and just want to take off.
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2022, 11:07:25 PM »

Thanks. Once I get my scooter and can get back on the road, I’ll be able to evaluate the seat/butt bumper, windscreen, and noodoe. Just a bit anxious to get back to riding after a 3-year hiatus.

Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 12:04:32 AM »

Thanks. Once I get my scooter and can get back on the road, Iíll be able to evaluate the seat/butt bumper, windscreen, and noodoe. Just a bit anxious to get back to riding after a 3-year hiatus.

3 YEARS!!!!!!! That's inhumane................
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Feelin' good.

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2022, 04:05:49 PM »

I finally got a bit of a break in the weather and took the opportunity to change windshields. I took some photos so, maybe, that will give you some idea of the two. Remember my AK is 2019 but I'd guess the OEM windshield is about the same on the newer ones.

Pix 1 = OEM shield
Pix 2 = Givi shield
Pix 3 = the Givi shield over the OEM shield.

* Windshield OEM.jpg (144.82 KB, 525x925 - viewed 7 times.)

* Windshield Large.jpg (137.5 KB, 525x900 - viewed 6 times.)

* Windshield 2.jpg (142.41 KB, 734x900 - viewed 6 times.)
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2022, 07:21:40 PM »

Thanks mate, that does help. It looks like the Givi is much larger than the OEM yet doesn’t quite cover the grips like the hand guards would.

What is your opinion of how well the visor works with the OEM? Does it simply allow you to pivot the visor to alter wind flow or also allow you to adjust the height/positioning of the visor? Probably visor specific but… I enjoy having my head in calm air. Does the visor help reduce air flow directly towards the rider and does it add or reduce noise? Thanks for whatever you can offer.

Enjoy the ride,

CC
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2022, 09:09:03 PM »

While the comparison of OEM to Givi is clear by the pic, notice that the Givi doesn't come down as far as the OEM. So the Givi will be another few inches taller.
Look at Pic 1, then pic 2 and notice the difference where the bottom of the screens come.
While they sit on the ground, the bottoms are the same.

I know you realize this Don, I'm just bringing it to the attention of anyone new that may just be comparing where the top comes to.
Others may have noticed, but I didn't until someone else brought it to my attention.

Is that a GoPro mount on the OEM screen? If so, have I missed your video posts or are you just selfishly keeping them for yourself? 
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Feelin' good.

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2022, 10:57:07 AM »

@CelticCross
No the grips aren't covered as well as guards but along with the mitts it's plenty.
The visor keeps the wind flow over the top of my helmet. It is adjustable and the price of this Puig version is, well, too much but it's quality and works as advertised.

@Uncle Jed
Yes, that's a GoPro mount on the OEM. No, I've not made any videos in a long time as I've not BEEN ANYWHERE IN A LONG TIME! ( sorry)

You're right about the height of the Givi windshield. It is the same as the OEM with the visor. The width, of course, is much greater. I attempted to outline the OEM in the photo but that turned into a nightmare.

The Boss is calling, gotta do chores. Y'all come back now, ya hear!
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2022, 08:41:34 PM »

Thanks @Expat. Once I have the opportunity to evaluate the capabilities of the OEM screen, I can decide which way I want to go for more comfort. I suspect that I am a bit shorter than you so may not need anything taller than the OEM. The visor and guards/mitts path is less expensive than the Givi windscreen. And if guards/mitts are needed with the Givi… The temps here should be in the upper 30s/low 40s by the time I get my scooter so may not need to worry about additional protection until next fall.

BTW, I had no intention of hijacking the initial thread.

Enjoy the ride,

CC
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Feelin' good.

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2022, 06:53:03 AM »

BTW, I had no intention of hijacking the initial thread.

Yea, shame on you!! NOBODY hijacks threads around here. I mean, you know, like EEEEVVVERRR. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: