November 30, 2021, 11:50:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello all.  (Read 244 times)
apcomputing
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: October 12, 2021, 04:06:50 AM »

Just joined. Thanks for allowing me to join.

I have been a cycle rider since 1978, when an uncle gifted me a '68 Honda Cub 90 cc.  I have owned that bike, graduating to a Kawasaki 440 in 1980, then a Virago 750 in 1985.

I was a mechanic with Kawasaki for 2 years, then went into IT. 

I sold my Virago in 1987, when I went overseas.   I have been stuck on 4 wheels since. 

I have experienced some health issues in the last few years.  Now that they tell me that I probably have at least a few more years left in me, I have been hankering to get another bike.

Here's the problem,. Diabetes has left me with little feeling in my feet, and their dexterity has suffered as well.  I cannot shift, with my feet. ( Braking might be an issue too)

That got me into looking at scooters.  My dream machine probably would be a 400. Yamaha, or Suzuki. 

I am on a fixed income, but my day to day is comfortable.  I can still use my hands, so a fixer upper would work.

I am almost ashamed to admit this, but I have been in love with the Honda Helix since they were introduced in 86. ( But thought back then that I had to have a REAL motorcycle) 😁

Anyway, that's me.  Glad to be here.  Shawn

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 30 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 123
-Receive: 101

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 07:00:26 AM »

Welcome to the real world. Glad you took the red pill, though late in life. Helix is a classic and puts a grin on your face.

--
Larry  
My Maps
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 166
-Receive: 226

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 10:16:26 AM »

Welcome from Athens, Greece.

__
Don
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 375
-Receive: 903

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 03:31:19 PM »

Welcome from St. Louis!  Nice to meet you!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
sonuvabug
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 23
-Receive: 28

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 08:31:57 PM »

Welcome aboard the board Shawn.  Any three of the scooters you mentioned would fill your needs. 

I don't remember if the Helix has a left hand lever controlled rear brake or a right foot pedal controlled rear brake.  I know my mid '80's Honda Elite 250's were right foot rear brake operated.

2016 Matte Gray Suzuki Burgman 400 (herz) - 12,000 km.
2009 Wineberry Red Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 13,700 km.
Benzon1960
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 08:14:22 AM »

Hey Shawn - welcome

You could also look for a Silver Wing. Both the 400 and the 600 comes with a combined front and rear brake in the left handle bar (mainly rear with the front calibre using only one of the three pistons to assist in the braking) and a traditional front brake in the right handle bar. I personally find it both comfortable and efficient.

Wish you a lot good time out there on two wheels.
apcomputing
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 04:54:51 PM »

Welcome aboard the board Shawn.  Any three of the scooters you mentioned would fill your needs. 

I don't remember if the Helix has a left hand lever controlled rear brake or a right foot pedal controlled rear brake.  I know my mid '80's Honda Elite 250's were right foot rear brake operated.
All of the helix's I haven't seen have a foot petal for the rear brake. But I believe that the ability to rest my heel on the floor would allow me to operate the brake.

It may be a moot point, however, I have plans to look at a Morphous.  I really love the styling of it, and the helix. They both look like scoots that would have been designed by Cadillac.😁

apcomputing
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »

Hey Shawn - welcome

You could also look for a Silver Wing. Both the 400 and the 600 comes with a combined front and rear brake in the left handle bar (mainly rear with the front calibre using only one of the three pistons to assist in the braking) and a traditional front brake in the right handle bar. I personally find it both comfortable and efficient.

Wish you a lot good time out there on two wheels.
That's interesting. I didn't know the SW had a 400cc brother.  Was that in the US?  I maybe should look for one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: