November 30, 2021, 10:25:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modular FLIP OVER Helmets  (Read 1091 times)
sonuvabug
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 23
-Receive: 28

Email
« on: April 23, 2021, 10:40:15 PM »

Recently, I've spent hours researching modular helmets.  It's time to replace my older GMAX 27S 3/4 jet fighter helmet which has served me well but is starting to show it's age i.e. looser fit (no replacement pads available, I broke some plastic screws when dismantling it to clean all the bits, some cracking of the soft plastic neck collar etc.

I've always been intrigued by the flip UP modular helmets ... more specifically the 180* FLIP OVER helmets.  I've eliminate all of the flip UP only helmets due to fit, price, functionality/features or country availability. 

This included the Schuberth C4 Pro, Shoei Neotec II, AGV Sportmodular and X-Lite X1005 simply based on price, the Nolan N100-5 and Bell SRT based on them only being a flip UP vs. a FLIP OVER, the HJC RPHA 90S based on fit and the Scorpion EXO Tech and ROOF R09 based on them not being available in Canada (or North America I believe) even though they are FLIP OVER units.

I will not buy a helmet on-line that I can't try on first.  To expensive to return and too much hassle in my opinion.  That leaves me with the LS2 Valiant II or the recently launched/ES updated SHARK EVO GT as my only choices and the new Shark is still very rare here in Canada and no where to try one on for fit. 

I like the improvements I've read and seen in the reviews that have been made to the LS2 Valiant II helmet over it's predecessor the original Valiant. I tried one on and it seems to fit me well from all the size, head shape etc. criteria albeit it feels a bit weird never having worn a modular or full face before.  I guess I'll get used to the chipmunk cheeks pressure and tighter feel.  That could be because it was brand new too as my is beyond being well broken in. 

My question is: does anybody have any heads on experience with either of these two helmets (the newer LS2 Valiant II or the SHARK EVO GT) and what are your thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

2016 Matte Gray Suzuki Burgman 400 (herz) - 12,000 km.
2009 Wineberry Red Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 13,700 km.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 166
-Receive: 226

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 06:27:09 AM »

I can offer only tangentially useful info: (always wanted to use that 50¢ word)

Modular: Won't wear anything else in a full helmet. I've been wearing Nolans for decades.
Fit: Yup, they grab your cheeks - that's loosen up a bit but should never get too loose.
LS2: Bought one of their lighter weight models for summer city riding. Seems to be good quality.

__
Don
sonuvabug
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 23
-Receive: 28

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 07:07:02 PM »

I can offer only tangentially useful info: (always wanted to use that 50¢ word)

Modular: Won't wear anything else in a full helmet. I've been wearing Nolans for decades.
Fit: Yup, they grab your cheeks - that's loosen up a bit but should never get too loose.
LS2: Bought one of their lighter weight models for summer city riding. Seems to be good quality.

I appreciate your insights ... tangential as they may be.  Every little piece of information adds to my decision making process. Stay Safe!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: