April 18, 2021, 07:34:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reasons against the AK550  (Read 119 times)
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 30 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 89

« on: April 06, 2021, 01:33:43 AM »

This is directed at Don, but any additional input by anyone appreciated.

Don, Now that you've had the AK550 for a while, what are the negatives? I see praise for it everywhere but no bike is perfect. A few have had the dash replaced but it was covered under warranty.
Looks like replacing the CVT belt takes a little extra work. But the rest seems to outweigh all the negatives. I've been drooling over the AK for a month now. I also love the Burger 400, but there is lots more information on it.
What do you wish you had known before purchasing? What would you change? What would you add? Would you buy it again? Inquiring minds want to know and so do I.

--
Larry  
My Maps
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 215

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 07:20:23 AM »

Mechanically the scoot is a phenomenal piece of work! It's sure footed and on those points it's at the top of the list.

My #1 gripe was the cost to replace the key fob I'd lost. They had to replace the whole of the security system instead of just replacing the fob itself. $1000.OO or more just points to bad design in my opinion. With all the software you'd think that once the fob went missing that some warning would have alerted me to the fact! The scoot knows when you're close, will even light up the screen but couldn't be bothered when trouble hit.

If you don't have a lift I don't think you're going to be doing your own service. The oil filter is buried under several pieces of tupperware accessed from the bottom.

The grips are going to melt if/when you use the heater. This has been a known issue for some years that doesn't seem to have a solution other than replacement. I put on a pair of Grip Puppies.

After a few updates to the onboard software I think they've gotten most of the kinks out of the system and things seem to be working well. The Noode guidance system can be handy but then Google Maps is handy too so, nice feature.

When I put it in for the 10k service I was surprised to see a €240 bill awaiting me. The OEM battery was dead and the rear break pads needed replacement. While I can accept the rear pads as the hand break is a new feature and I had forgotten it on when pulling away a couple of times the battery was less than 2 years old and it really wasn't cold enough to cause it to crap out!
I guess what I'm saying is that there are some points where Kymco just seems to have whimped out on their flag ship model for some reason.

Great scoot, will get you down the road and back again quick as a flash (180KpH) and do it in style but, like you said, no scoot is 100% perfect for 100% of the people 100% of the time.

P.S.
The blue ones go faster that the other colors.

__
Don
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 53
-Receive: 137

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 03:57:26 PM »

Thanks for the input. This has been on my radar for quite awhile, and will probably be my next ride-when I tire of the Silverwing.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
 ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶650
 ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶4̶0̶0̶ ̶X̶2̶
Honda Silverwing
Morphous 250
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 30 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 89

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 01:56:46 AM »

Well, one reason eliminated. This girl shows how to change oil without removing tupperware and just setting up on centerstand:
https://youtu.be/rTSSMDP4GbY
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 215

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 06:14:41 AM »

Well, one reason eliminated. This girl shows how to change oil without removing tupperware and just setting up on centerstand:
https://youtu.be/rTSSMDP4GbY

Ah... Ok.  But I can see why the mechanics remove the tupperware.
Couldn't understand a word she said after "AK" but paid close attention anyhow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: