April 18, 2021, 07:37:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tire balance weights  (Read 190 times)
MikeyMarine
MikeyMarine
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Honda metropolitan Burgman 400 Burgman 650 Zero SF

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 2

my Kat

Email
« on: March 20, 2021, 12:44:55 PM »

a question has come up on the burgman web site, I thought maybe you guyses might have some input,   What is an excessive amount of weight to balance a properly mounted tire. I know they will vary by tire size, but an average of tire sizes and weights put on those sizes should give some guidance. I just put 1 1/4 oz on a shinko for my burgman. another rider stopped at 2 oz and sent it back.

soap is for sissies!
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 53
-Receive: 137

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 02:36:31 PM »

I went to using ceramic balancing beads years ago am have been really pleased with them. Generally I'll put two oz, front and rear. Since I started using them, I have no cupping on any of my front tires, and even wear all the way across the rear. Even when I have to change tires, I'm able to reuse the beads. I'll use them for two tire changes them toss them. I get them from Checkered Flag- very good pricing and there customer service is top notch.
https://checkeredflagtirebalancebeads.com/

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
 ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶650
 ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶4̶0̶0̶ ̶X̶2̶
Honda Silverwing
Morphous 250
MikeyMarine
MikeyMarine
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

my Kat

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 03:59:26 PM »

I had balancing beads in my last rear tire, a darkside , a shop put them in, I didn't know it and added slime later for a minor leak, bad move, later when replacing the tire the beads were goo, stuck and corroding,  they were great when they were there.  I am trying to determine when too many or much balancing weight might indicate a poorly manufactured/dangerous tire
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 53
-Receive: 137

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 04:07:54 PM »

Shinko is not a high quality brand. A lot of reports on various websites of being out of round, impossible to balance, unable to seat on rims improperly, poor tread wear, among the most common. There will be some that claim they were great, but the tires are built to a very low price point. Slime is a horrible product to use on a scooter or motorcycle. Even for emergency use!
MikeyMarine
MikeyMarine
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

my Kat

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 04:43:02 PM »

I agree shinko is not top of the line, this is a one off since I had to forego mounting my darkside, will be back to oem when this shinko wears out, which I expect to be soon! I think slime will be limited to my bicycle tubes from now on. Just for giggles, this shinko mounted amazingly easy, (too easy?) as compared to my fed formosa ct.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: