February 25, 2021, 04:15:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential ruination of Peggy's Cove  (Read 219 times)
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 170
-Receive: 80

« on: January 19, 2021, 02:15:40 PM »

Just a bit of news on the potential ruination of Peggy's Cove.

The government in their "wisdom" are planning a viewing platform to keep visitors safe.

This article tells some of the story:  https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/local-news/picturesque-lighthouse-at-nova-scotias-peggys-cove-to-get-viewing-platform-3265536

It might make walking a bit easier but it won't keep people safe .... because you can't legislate
intelligence from stupidity.  Anyway, since this news broke, there is mounting opposition to the
spending of $3.1 million on something that will destroy the natural beauty of the place.   This
platform will be built such that the road way we traveled will be removed and the structure will
extend out over the rock towards the water towards the right of the road's present location.

A Face book group was begun last night by some who are greatly bothered by this development.

Here is the link in case you wish to join and at least it gives you some info on what they are planning.
I'm not sure if we will go for the protest walk this weekend (we usually don't take part in these kind
of things) but this is a significant annoyance.  There are greater problems that could use $3.1M and
wouldn't ruin an iconic landmark.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/711552792840763/announcements

We are really glad the 4 of you (Greg, Peggy, Bill and Linda)got to see it on one of the best times .... wind, waves , sunshine ..and
not terribly cold.
https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/peggys-cove-lighthouse/

Take care

Mike

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 30
-Receive: 183

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 03:45:52 PM »

That sounds terrible. I hope the locals get together and stop the platform.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 375
-Receive: 895

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 03:56:36 PM »

Terrible idea!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 05:24:36 PM »

Just to add this news report so to let you see the plan.

https://www.facebook.com/CTVNews/videos/3649324001770115

Mike
sonuvabug
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 22
-Receive: 26

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 05:56:38 PM »

Just to add this news report so to let you see the plan.  https://www.facebook.com/CTVNews/videos/3649324001770115 Mike  

I saw that CTV news clip last week too.  My first thought was ... WHY?  The rugged beauty and the fact you can walk on the rocks near the lighthouse contributes so much to the charm and experience of being at Peggy's Cove.  I guess there will be some benefit to those who are mobility challenged but for the rest, I think it's a big downgrade.  

I hope you'll be able to by-pass the viewing platform and walk down to and on the rocks like before.  If not, I'll just stay at home, look at my deck and enjoy an adult refreshment "on the rocks".  

2016 Gray Suzuki Burgman 400 (herz) - 12,000 km.
2009 Wineberry Red Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 7,500 km.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 02:03:38 PM »

Today might be interesting as far as this project goes.  The tenders for building the platform are to be opened today ..... and the design has already changes.

The intent of the platform has now become accessibility for mobility challenged people rather than the focus of keeping people off the "black" and slippery rocks at the edge of the sea.   One person suggested building a deck on the roof of the SouWester, the restaurant and gift shop which also serves as the location which the web camera is mounted upon.   And this suggestion includes an elevator for the challenged people.   A perfect solution in my mind .... it leaves all else as it is.

Change can be a nasty thing to some of us ......

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: