February 25, 2021, 03:03:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honda Reflex trunk removal  (Read 204 times)
Papini
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Ninja 600, Suzuki GSX-R1100, Tao Tao 150cc, Honda Reflex 250cc

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: January 07, 2021, 02:16:19 AM »

Hi guys!

First time posting here! I have a 2006 Honda Reflex, due to health issues I stopped riding it, and it has been sitting for 2 years! I tried to start it recently, but no luck! I know it must be bad gas! but... my question is: How do you remove the trunk?! I can't figure it out! and I don't want to start taking things apart that don't need to be removed! and I really want to get it going! Any help would be much appreciated!

Take care!

Frank
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 30
-Receive: 183

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 01:45:41 PM »

First check the plug and replace the gas with fresh gas. Add some carb cleaner to the gas like Seafoam or Techron. Try starting. To remove the underseat trunk requires removing both side panels, the rear trim panels and the seat. Very labor intensive. Might try starter fluid too so you don't have to dismantle everything.
Papini
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Ninja 600, Suzuki GSX-R1100, Tao Tao 150cc, Honda Reflex 250cc

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 11:40:41 PM »

Thanks! I will try that! yes... it does seem like a lot of work to dismantle the side panels!  :D
sonuvabug
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 22
-Receive: 26

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 02:52:43 AM »

OK, now I'm curious.  I hope you were going to empty the gas tank by suctioning it out and not dismantling the scoot to physically remove the tank and then dump out the old gas .... right?

2016 Gray Suzuki Burgman 400 (herz) - 12,000 km.
2009 Wineberry Red Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 7,500 km.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 03:44:44 AM »

Siphon pumps are cheap. Hours of grueling labor removing all these panels, even more to remove the tank. And heaven forbid you break a tab. I would try everything else before disassembling.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 73

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 04:30:59 AM »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Reflex has a carburetor.
If the bike has been sitting for a long time, you're probably going to have to clean the carb jets also.
If you do the carb removal yourself, I'd still recommend you take that carb to the shop and have a good mechanic clean it for you so you don't have to do it twice.
They have little finger bits to clean the jets. Just flushing them with carb cleaner won't remove the hardened goo in the jets.
sonuvabug
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 22
-Receive: 26

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 03:54:08 PM »

... snipped ... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Reflex has a carburetor.

OK this makes sense now Mark.  I should have remembered about the carb vs. FI having previously owned a Reflex.  It was a little cold natured now that my memory has been triggered. 

I would still try a "cold" soak with Seafoam before removing the tupperware.  Steps are: 1) Siphon out all old gas 2) fill with 1 can/16oz.  Seafoam 3) crank engine over to get Sefoam into the fuel system/bowl 4) let sit for a couple of days 5) try cranking it again 6) you've nothing to lose by trying although a thorough, proper cleaning and adjustment of the carb is still the best way to go.

Notwithstanding the above, there is something to be said for removing all of the tupperware on a "new-to-you" scooter and going through it with a fine tooth comb.  I did that to my newly acquired SWing last Spring (it only had 3,000 mi. and ran great).  Removing the tupperware allowed me to give it a good detailing "on the inside", check/replace all filters, spark plugs etc. re-torque all screws, bolts and plastic snap rivets, repair some broken/missing body panel tabs etc. 

Last suggestion which probably should have been my first ... get yourself a Factory Service Manual ... either a paper one or digital copy.  They are worth their weight in gold and will pay off your investment in no time.  Good Luck and keep us posted.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 07:53:45 PM »

The service manual is a must to remove all the panels. I have done this twice and hopefully never again. The carb is pretty reliable so hoping the issue can be resolved without further action. Might want to replace plug and air filter too. The Reflex likes a hot spark and clean air.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 375
-Receive: 895

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 09:07:56 PM »

Any luck, Papini?

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: