September 24, 2020, 11:33:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Damn the Corona Virus, Full Speed Ahead!  (Read 961 times)
klaviator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLX250

Thank You
-Given: 129
-Receive: 91

Email
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2020, 03:41:28 PM »

We had lunch at the Wendy's in Cashiers. Radar looked pretty bad so we decided to take the shortest way back to Maggie Valley. We stopped to fill up at the gas station in town and the skies just opened up. We hung out a few minutes at the gas station but it was real crowded there and radar showed that we could get out of the rain in a few miles so off we went through heavy rain and rivers of water running across the road.

Sure enough we got through it in a few minutes and we regrouped several miles down the road. I got a group pic a bit later as we were stopped by road construction.

It wasn't raining on us but looked pretty ugly all around.

The route took us up a long uphill grade on a four lane 55 MPH road to the BRP. I was concerned about riding that on my little 150 but it managed to stay above 50 MPH the whole way.

We stopped to re-group on the BRP.

Just before we took off a couple of Harleys rode by. We soon caught up to them. Tony was in the lead and decided to pass them. He got around one and fell in behind the lead Harley.

The lead Harley rider wasn't happy about that and started riding the center line. When Tony tried to pass him he tried to run Tony off the road. I guess his ego couldn't handle being passed by a scooter:dunno (Or maybe he was just an A$$hole)

Tony did get by him. I didn't try to pass and we soon exited for MV. It made for an exciting end of the days ride.

I ride, therefore I am
sevenwheels
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 40
-Receive: 12

Email
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2020, 02:41:40 PM »

Riding home from work one day, just exited the freeway into an S curve on the frontage road,right behind a Harley. To this day I donít know why, but I chased him,rather close through the curve and onto the straight until I turned off into my subdivision. This was on my Morphous.
Glad to see the redneck Amerivespa was a success. Loved the Harley story.
David

2006 Morphous,2011 Spyder RTS
2017 F150

IBA 56167
klaviator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLX250

Thank You

Email
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2020, 01:17:36 AM »

I just realized I never finished this report.  So here goes......

The weather forecast for Thursday sucked. We had planned to ride to Deal's Gap since we didn't do it on Monday due to rain. It looked like we could make it to Deal's Gap, ride the dragon once and then there was an 80% chance of thunderstorms. The Maggie Valley forecast called for rain starting late morning.

So we went for a short local ride. Just one group this time. We headed out of town and up Cove Creek Rd towards Cataloochie Valley. This is a really nice paved twisty road......until the pavement ends. Since we were "adventure" scooter riders we continued on.

I took some over the shoulder shots. Sometimes they don't come out so good.

That's better!

Back on paved roads.

Stopping to re-group.

Here comes the second part of the group.

klaviator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2020, 04:08:22 AM »

Ya think we might be in farm country?

We stopped at the Ferguson Supply store so people could get rattle T-shirts, maps or whatever. Then we moved over to the Rattler sign for some pics.

Then we took a group pic.....just to show how socially responsible we were.

klaviator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 04:26:04 AM »

After this stop we were heading back towards MV while Larry was heading home. So I got one last pic and said goodbye.

Then we headed back towards MV. I was planning on doing the route Josh had showed us the day on Tuesday.

We stopped to re-group and ended up talking to these two bicyclists.

A little way down the road we came to another intersection. Rich looked at his GPS and recommended we turn left. Steve said we should go right. I didn't listen to Steve and we ended up in some busy traffic North of MV. After a U turn and some other questionable moves we ended up following Rich down a very twisty residential road which did dump us out on 19 not too far from the motel.

We got back to the Motel and checked the weather forecast. The chance for rain had been pushed back a couple of hours so a few of us decided to head back out.

No sense wasting dry weather and great roads all around.
klaviator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2020, 02:21:29 PM »

Four of us decided to go back out. Doug, Dan, Candace and myself. To make things more interesting Dan and I swapped scooters to start off. I got to ride Dan's 2004 Kymco Bet & Win 250. We rode around 5 miles and swapped back. The B & W 250 is a nice solid scooter. It's a bit heavy and not as powerful as a Vespa 250 but it's a solid scooter. It's comfortable, has good wind flow and the ride and handling were fine. I was glad to get the chance to try it out. We swapped back at the end of a dead end road we explored and continued on. While riding back on of the RV parks on 276 I saw Greg and Eric gearing up so we whipped a U turn and went into the RV park to talk to them. Grep said the weather forecast for Deal's Gap had improved dramatically so they were heading there. We decided to continue on exploring locally.

I managed to backtrack the route Josh had showed us.

Then we headed down a dead end road and back. It had some steep hills and tight curves. With dual sports we could have gone through.

I asked if anyone had seen the movie "Field of dreams". Everyone said yes but they still didn't get the significance of this sign.

I always think of Field of Dreams when I go by this road. We decided to ride down the road. I did it many years ago on my XT350 and knew it went through.

I forgot it turned to gravel.

I stopped and asked if anyone had any problems continuing on.....No, so on we went.

The pavement resumed after a short distance.

Candace wanted to shoot some video of us going through a curve so we did that. She texted me the videos. If I can figure out how to post them I'll do that.

We did some exploring. There are no bad roads in this area, they are all twisty and hilly. I found some new roads and didn't even get lost.

Back in MV we encountered Rich taking Steve's GTV out for a short test ride.

We had Lunch at the BBQ place across the street form the Motel. We ate way too much and went back to the motel for a while. After a few hours and with the chance of rain never materializing, it was soon time for another ride!
klaviator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2020, 10:58:24 PM »

We got a pretty good sized group together for one last ride. I think we didn't leave until around 4:30. We headed back up to the BRP.

We stopped every so often to re-group and I took advantage of those stops to get some pics.

The BRP isn't nearly as twisty as the roads we rode earlier in the day but it does offer some good photo opportunities.

klaviator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 01:54:54 PM »

We had stopped at this point earlier in the week but Steve wasn't with us on that ride so I stopped again and got a pic of him by the sign.

Someone noticed there were four Vespa's in the group and thought a "Vespa Club" pic would be nice.

It turned out the other three scooters were Kymco's so:

There was a break in the fog so I tried some pics from different angles.

klaviator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 04:00:35 PM »

Back on the BRP.

We turned off on 215 and went South about 5 miles.

klaviator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2020, 04:04:36 PM »

We headed back to MV. Dan and Candace took the short way back via 215 and 276. 215 is a great ride and they were happy they went that way. Our way was longer and maybe not as much fun of a ride but did give me more picture opportunities.

There must have been a cell signal here!

Driving a RV on this road can't be much fun. He did pull off at the first overlook and let us by.

Waterrock Knob.

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 29
-Receive: 178

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2020, 05:08:37 PM »

I love that section of the BRP, underrated.
klaviator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2020, 09:57:28 PM »

Too soon it was Friday morning and time to head home.   Some of us headed over to Joey's Pancake House for a decadent breakfast.

The food and service were outstanding as we expected.

Then it was back to the motel were people were loading up and saying goodbyes.

And a couple of bums were going for one last ride!

And then, just like that, the 2020 Maggie Valley Scooter Ride was over

I'm already looking forward to next year and the 2021 Beat the Heat Scooter Ride!
klaviator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2020, 10:08:09 PM »

A few thoughts about this event.  When the pandemic hit, there was some question if we could even do this.  Then things started looking better and we set a date.  Then things started looking worse and several people decided not to come.  We also picked up a few riders when the Scooter Cannonball was cancelled.

In the end we had the rally and it was a success.  The weather ended up being a bigger issue than the Corona Virus.  As far as I know, none of the attendees got Civid-19.  I'd like to say we were super careful and always maintain social distance but we didn't. 

Most of us didn't eat in restaurants as much as we normally would have.  I only ate inside restaurants twice during the event.  the rest of the time I ate outside or back at the motel.  My room had a kitchenette and I brought a bunch of food.  The motel put on a cookout for us for dinner one night.

I expect to do this again next year.  Hopefully there will be a vaccine and things will be under better control next year.  I expect to do this in July or August again.  Maggie Valley is a perfect location for a rally in the heat of summer.  I brought both mesh riding gear and warmer riding gear for this.  I never wore my mesh gear.  It was that cool. 

I hope ya'll enjoyed the report and I hope to see some of you at this event next year.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 34
-Receive: 158

Saint Louis, MO 2020

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2020, 12:00:15 AM »

Winn,  I certainly enjoyed your report and pics as always.  Thanks for taking us along.

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 160
-Receive: 206

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2020, 06:26:56 AM »

I hope ya'll enjoyed the report and I hope to see some of you at this event next year.

Yup, we did & thanks for the ride-along.

__
Don
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: