December 03, 2020, 02:55:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorcycle or scooter, probably both, but It's got me thinking...  (Read 922 times)
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 95

Email
« on: July 26, 2020, 07:23:51 PM »

I might try to 'make a move' on this 2008 DN-01 that just popped up at a local dealership. This is one cool-ass bike, and you definitely don't see one every day. They didn't gav it priced yet when I found it yesterday, but it can't be all that much, even though they were a ridiculous $15,000 when new...and almost nobody bought them.

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 375
-Receive: 893

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 09:03:02 PM »

Make sure you test ride it first.

It's a SUPER comfy bike but there are some limitations. Super easy to drag in the twisties.  That fat back tire is pig in the twisties.  It's a great cruiser type bike.  I love the looks, so clean. 

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 29
-Receive: 181

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 02:27:58 AM »

Really wanted one but the contours on the tank poked me right in the kneecaps. But it looks like nothing else on the road.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 07:00:30 AM »

Make sure you test ride it first.

It's a SUPER comfy bike but there are some limitations. Super easy to drag in the twisties.  That fat back tire is pig in the twisties.  It's a great cruiser type bike.  I love the looks, so clean. 

I have watched some old YouTube test ride videos, and heard the floorboards scraping in turns several times, though it didn't look like it was being pushed all that hard. I'll see if I can snag a ride on it tomorrow it Tuesday, see what it's like.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 53
-Receive: 136

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 02:39:54 PM »

I came really close to buying one last year, but the total lack of any storage and being so easy to scrape turned me off. I liked it, but I don't care for floorboards and I'm not ready to change the way I ride yet.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
 ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶650
 ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶4̶0̶0̶ ̶X̶2̶
Honda Silverwing
Morphous 250
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 08:50:55 PM »

Well, I gave it a fifteen mile ride this morning, and.....I like it! I felt it's power and acceleration were very similar to the 650 Burgmans we've owned, so that part of the equation is certainly acceptable.

This machine is definitely unique in appearance, though that is obvious to anyone with functional vision, and it is, considering it's absolutely stupid original pricing, amazingly devoid of any sort of useful features, such as enough storage to carry a spare pack of gum. It also has zero-to-nothing in the way of wind and weather protection. Heated grips included in your new $15,999 rolling art piece?? Hell NO.

But these days I use my Triumph backpack almost every time I ride something other than our GL1800, so I can still pack enough chewing gum to choke a Hippo if needed, so the total lack of storage can be dealt with that way.

I'm ok with that 'zero wind protection' thing too, as five of our current six motorcycles don't have any sort of windshield on them either.

When I started the DN up at the dealership and rode a familiarization circle or two in the parking lot, the bike's steering was horribly 'heavy', and it felt like I was riding in six inches of sucking mud. I immediately rode it over to the service department and asked them to check it's tire pressure, and sure enough, it only had eighteen pounds in the front, and mid twenties in the rear. I guess they don't look very hard at their used machines before sending them out on test rides, though admittedly, the DN was only traded in last Saturday, so I'll cut them some slack in not getting around to looking the bike over, they've been very busy lately.

Anyway, the handling problem taken care of, the bike felt pretty good out on the road. I didn't exceed 70 mph on the test ride, and rode it as I would any of my bikes. It only has 2100 miles on it, and runs like a new machine as far as I can tell.

I just love the unique visual weirdness of this damn thing, and can't help but look forward to running it around during the upcoming Sturgis Rally, where it is certain to confound and stymie hoards of aging Harley-riding pirates, who will probably think that the DN-01 is some wild-ass concept bike from the future.

The dealer had priced the DN online already for $5000, but they know that the odds of flipping this oddball Honda model so quickly is highly unlikely, and they also know that there's a very good chance that it could still be on their floor two years from now, so...they offered it to me for $4600, which is acceptable to me, so the numbers are off to my credit union, and we'll see what happens. The NADA book value of this model is shown to be $5900, so the financing should be no problem, but who knows, these are strange times.

JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 12:06:43 AM »

And after ALL that....on the way to the dealership to sign the papers and ride the bike home...I thought to myself...WTF are you doing???, thanked them when I arrived, told them I was not going to buy the DN right now, and went back home to marvel at the empty, bike-sized space, now in our garage.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 144
-Receive: 205

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 01:09:25 AM »

...told them I was not going to buy the DN right now...

Not how I expected this to turn out, but you had your reason(s). Maybe not the end of the story, but your willingness to walk away is impressive.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 09:35:54 AM »

...told them I was not going to buy the DN right now...

Not how I expected this to turn out, but you had your reason(s). Maybe not the end of the story, but your willingness to walk away is impressive.

As much as I would like to have the DN-01, I also like it that by selling my 1200 Sportster this morning to Black Hills HD, I eliminated about $6000 in debt, and a $130 monthly payment. I just thought it would be wiser right now to hold off on 'reloading' all that stuff. I can buy a reasonably priced bike any day that I want to, and many other desirable machines will be popping up, they always do, so I decided to not just rush into buying this bike.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 73

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 01:05:45 PM »

First time I saw a DN-01 my first thought was Land Shark.
I like the "WTF is that" look of the bike and the hydraulic automatic instead of a belt.
I also love the beautiful deep shade of red that pictures don't do justice to.
I don't like the floorboards and the giant clumsy brake pedal that goes with them, and the limited ground clearance they cause.
I also don't like the lack of storage and the fact that you can't even strap a bag on the seat without having to attach it to a painted surface.
Looks incredibly clean for the year and price though.
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 398
-Receive: 199

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 03:35:36 AM »

I almost swapped a 650 Burgman & some $$ for one that had a full Givi package on it. ( Bags, Topbox & windshield) after coming to my senses I elected not to because I already had two touring bikes in my Goldwing & Pacific Coast.

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
H20man
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Too Many to List.... Current is a Red FJR1300 & The Morph

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 09:05:45 AM »

I looked at a DN-01 when I was test riding the Morph.  Fully bagged and topcase included with 37k on the odo.  It had a custom corbin seat that sat low and it was in black, I passed on it as they were looking for 5k and it was well used. 

-----------------------
2006 Blue Morphous (1800 miles)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: